The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Default String winder question

Years ago, I bought a battery-powered (rechargeable li-ion) string winder. Like a small, cordless drill gizmo. Says "STP," like the motor oil treatment company, on it, I guess it was some kind of promo deal. But I didn't get it free! Maybe it was made by Ernie Ball? I see now those babies are over $40, yikes!

I can't find the power supply cord to recharge it. All I see on the winder is "4v" and nothing else. I am pretty ignorant on electrical issues, how can I tell what rating power supply I need? I have a bunch of power supply cords around here! I hope I can find the original but so far, nada. Of course, the end fitting is key to even insert it to charge it.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:06 AM

$40 or not, I LOVE mine. Truly a better mousetrap. Well, a FASTER one. I enjoy changing strings, but I never enjoyed winding them up, especially as I get older and a touch of arthritis is setting in... I love my winder, and will never be without one.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 01-18-2019, 07:19 AM

I have a manual winder, but I don't use it for anything but Fender split post tuners. I don't have more than two wraps around my tuners so I have no need for anything electric.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:20 AM

Don't know if this well help..
But here's the info from my EB..

Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 AM

I have no technical knowledge but I use power cord chargers interchangeably at my house, everything comes with one and the original gets lost. If I have a cord that fits the charger, that is what I use and haven't run into any issues.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
Years ago, I bought a battery-powered (rechargeable li-ion) string winder. Like a small, cordless drill gizmo. Says "STP," like the motor oil treatment company, on it, I guess it was some kind of promo deal. But I didn't get it free! Maybe it was made by Ernie Ball? I see now those babies are over $40, yikes!

I can't find the power supply cord to recharge it. All I see on the winder is "4v" and nothing else. I am pretty ignorant on electrical issues, how can I tell what rating power supply I need? I have a bunch of power supply cords around here! I hope I can find the original but so far, nada. Of course, the end fitting is key to even insert it to charge it.
If you don't locate a wall wart to charge your string winder you can pick up a power screwdriver for $8 and purchase one of the little adapters for it to wind strings at most music stores or on line.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DE...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Don't know if this well help..
But here's the info from my EB..

Mine says 180rpm. And 4v. Yours says 200rpm and 5v.

Just wondering if I can use any old power supply as long as it's "such and such rating," whatever that is.

FWIW, you can buy an attachment on Ebay for any electric drill for less than $2. But, this little gizmo is small and light. Plus, has a handy dandy light that illuminates when you trigger it.

EDIT: Ok, I found one that fits perfectly, inserting it, and it says "5v" so I am using that and it is working.

Last edited by LiveMusic; 01-18-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:24 AM

Anything that is more or less a generic kind of device but is marketed by a market specific company, is usually going to cost more than it should.

Do as previously mentioned. Get a house brand electric screwdriver. Then an adapter for turning tuning keys.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:34 AM

Wow! I really must have let technology pass me by. I’d been winding strings by hand for 50 years or so (a pain in the neck, which probably resulted in not changing strings as often as I should have.). Just last year, I discovered the concept of a hand-cranked string winder, and I thought I’d died and gone to heaven! I could change strings on a whim, and have more than once. Now you guys are saying there are ELECTRIC ones?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
Wow! I really must have let technology pass me by. I’d been winding strings by hand for 50 years or so (a pain in the neck, which probably resulted in not changing strings as often as I should have.). Just last year, I discovered the concept of a hand-cranked string winder, and I thought I’d died and gone to heaven! I could change strings on a whim, and have more than once. Now you guys are saying there are ELECTRIC ones?
Yep!
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SAAEgL36_D_BwE
Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 AM

I bought a black and decker one, and use an attachment that is for use as a string winder.

cost me 20 bucks, lasted me about 10/12 years, till it would no longer take a charge. I replaced with a new black and decker, for … you guessed it... 20 bucks..
Old 01-18-2019, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Hi, you pay a premium by buying from a music industry brand.

I use a Bosch IXO with a Stewmac winder bit.
It sits on a cradle recharging when not in use and can be used as a drill and screwdriver as well.

A great tool See:

The IXO is shown about 50 secs in.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 AM

Love my electric winder!! Makes it almost fun (and fast) to change strings. I thik the cheap rechargeable drill cost me $12 and the bit $2. Been going strong for a couple years now.
Will never go back to hand winding.
scott
Old 01-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

I'm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
I was old school like you for decades and then a couple of years ago I picked up an Ernie Ball electric winder. If I had to do it over I'd get an electric screwdriver and the attachment as the Ernie Ball isn't variable speed. I might get one anyway, what the heck.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-18-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, you pay a premium by buying from a music industry brand.
yeah but... my drill won't fit into my string-changing bag

That little Bosch is nice, but it's $60. I see Lowes sells a copy for $30. If my Ernie Ball ever dies, I'll likely go that route, just to keep from buying batteries (which I only need to replace about once a year)
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion