The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-31-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Thanks Rick (Derek)! Much appreciated.

Your offer leads to something that some of us have been thinking about...

A couple of us have briefly discussed, via email, the possibility of starting a completely new thread here in the "Play" section that would serve as a study group for arranging tunes. Maybe it would be better to have a new thread for each tune, so they don't run too many pages. Anyway, I remember study groups from college, and they were really quite helpful - as long as the folks who attended contributed in a positive and constructive manner. There won't be any mid-terms or finals (and no degree) , but we can certainly learn from each other in a positive, stress-free environment and take as long as we want/need to do it.

We could pick a tune and then we each come up with a quick arrangement, much as I did with the two I posted. These are certainly not polished arrangements, but could become that as they progress. So then we each have our own project, but it is the same tune. We post video or audio of us playing the tune at various points along the way as the arrangement develops, and maybe (optional) the jpeg or pdf of the arrangement, if we are writing anything down, in the thread.

So, this isn't a project where we pick a tune and then we all work on the same arrangement. We each do our own, and share our thoughts and work so we all learn from each other in the context of the same tune. When we feel we have done enough on that tune, we can pick another and start again.

This would be a participating thread, in which everybody is posting audio or video of their playing and discussing how they did what they did. It is all too easy to post a lot of words telling everybody how to do arranging, but not be able to come up with an arrangement and present it. This thread would be "real" in the sense that everybody actively participates and contributes both their arrangement as it evolves and the discussion of what they are doing to it.

This would not be contest of who plays the best or who does the best arrangement or wo knows the most. Instead, it is a study group of peers going in the same general direction, but bringing different arranging methods, styles, and techniques to the thread so we all learn from each other.

Would anybody here (lurking, participating, or whatever) be interested in such a thread and study group?

Tony
I think this sounds like a really great and fun idea! I'd love to participate.

And thanks for the tips on the video recorder. I've been meaning to track one down and this is a great reason to finally get one.

Paul
Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 AM

Carol,
check this out http://college.interlochen.org/adult...uitar-workshop

great teachers and four days of learning

Carmelo
Old 03-31-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapular46 View Post
Carol,
check this out http://college.interlochen.org/adult...uitar-workshop

great teachers and four days of learning

Carmelo
Wouldn't that be a fun workshop?! Wish I lived closer. My husband actually is from Michigan, almost directly across from Traverse City. Tawas City, to be exact. And his cousin was the editor of the paper in Traverse City a few years ago, if I recall correctly. Anyway, someday I would love to go to something like this. Thanks for sharing!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 03-31-2017, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
Wouldn't that be a fun workshop?! Wish I lived closer. My husband actually is from Michigan, almost directly across from Traverse City. Tawas City, to be exact. And his cousin was the editor of the paper in Traverse City a few years ago, if I recall correctly. Anyway, someday I would love to go to something like this. Thanks for sharing!
I think you are on the right track preparing for this workshop environment, but give it a bit of time. The site said:

Participants should have at least one year of serious study on the guitar, should know how to read tabs, and should possess an understanding of chord structure, triads and alternate tunings. Students must supply their own instrument.

From what you have said, you may need a bit more preparation, but at least this description is very clear on how to know if you are prepared to benefit from their instruction. You will get most, if not all of that prep from Mark Hanson's books, which you are already working with. So, stay the course and you will be ready in good time.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-02-2017, 03:52 PM

Default My video for Over the Rainbow

Hi Everyone,

As I had mentioned in reply to Tony's post suggesting forming an arranging study group here, I took a big step forward for me and recorded an arrangement I've come up with for Over the Rainbow. This is the first video I've ever attempted. Videos are tough to do!!! I just got the Zoom Q8 yesterday and took a crash course in trying to get something recorded. It's funny how my self confidence flew right out the window as soon as I hit the record button!!

As a starting point I used a lead sheet of the song I found on the old Wikifonia song database. Although the Wikifonia site is closed, the song database is still available for download. It's very useful for finding.

link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMFJ...ature=youtu.be

I hope I posted the link correctly here! Please don't be too tough on me...it's my first! Thanks Tony for your help in posting the link!

Paul

Last edited by Grinning Boy; 04-02-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:54 PM

Hi Everyone,

As I had mentioned in reply to Tony's post suggesting forming an arranging study group here, I took a big step forward for me and recorded an arrangement I've come up with for Over the Rainbow. This is the first video I've ever attempted. Videos are tough to do!!! I just got the Zoom Q8 yesterday and took a crash course in trying to get something recorded. It's funny how my self confidence flew right out the window as soon as I hit the record button!!

As a starting point I used a lead sheet of the song I found on the old Wikifonia song database. Although the Wikifonia site is closed, the song database is still available for download. It's very useful for finding.

link

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch...ature=youtu.be

I hope I posted the link correctly here! Please don't be too tough on me...it's my first!

Paul

Last edited by Grinning Boy; 04-02-2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Duplicate-error in post
Old 04-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Paul,

I get an error when I click on the video. Can you post the full link?

Thanks,

Tony

P.S. Thanks so much for doing this! I think we all have something to offer and can really learn from each other by sharing our playing.

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

I found it by looking at your page source:

""

Very, very nice playing! Can you talk a bit more detail about your process of putting that together?

Your playing in your video is much more developed than mine. I tried to stay as close to a basic, blocked in arrangement as I could. You have done some very nice things in yours. I really suggest you also put this in the "Show and Tell" sub-forum too, so that others who are not participating in this thread can see and enjoy it.

Here is how I placed your Youtube video:

From the entire URL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMFJ...ture=youtu.be?

...I took just the "CMFJuzqFFfw" part.

If you look at the top of the area where you type in your post, you will see a start button icon (second from the end on the right). Click on that, and you will get a:

"YOUTUBE" and a .... "/YOUTUBE" (each enclosed in [...], but I can't do that in this example because here, the site will try to interpret them as a Youtube link)

...in your post.

Stick the text CMFJuzqFFfw in between those, and you will have your video. I would show that except that it will embed it again. So, here is the example without the "YOUTUBE" and "/YOUTUBE" text:

[...]CMFJuzqFFfw[/...]

Thanks,

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 04-02-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post

Very, very nice playing! Can you talk a bit more detail about your process of putting that together?

Your playing in your video is much more developed than mine. I tried to stay as close to a basic, blocked in arrangement as I could. You have done some very nice things in yours. I really suggest you also put this in the "Show and Tell" sub-forum too, so that others who are not participating in this thread can see and enjoy it.
Thank you so much for the very kind words Tony! With your encouragement I did post it to the Show and Tell section thinking it's a way to let others know there is interest in forming an arranging study group here.

The first thing I did for this was to find sheet music for it on the old Wikifonia data base. You can access it through MuseScore which I really like.

Like you, I thought D was a very nice key. Luckily MuseScore transcribed it for me. When deciding on the key I first think of the melody notes an octave higher and make sure the highest melody note never goes above the high G (15th fret on high E string). When deciding on the key I also look to see if the chords in the register seem pleasing for the overall feel and if there will be opportunities to use open strings.

Next I think about the song in two parts. First how would I play it if I were accompanying a singer and not playing melody. Second, I think how I would phrase the melody it if I were singing it, again using the notes on my guitar an octave higher than as written in the sheet music. Then I put the two together. That means finding fingerings and positions for each chord that will allow me to play the melody notes an octave higher.

I never hesitate to just play a melody note if a chord doesn't seem right or is too difficult at that instant in the song. Or maybe just play the bass note. I feel if the melody is coming through that's the main thing.

After I have the basics tied together I try and see if there are opportunities to use some chord enhancements or substitutions I've learned over time. These usually come to me as I play the song over and over. For example, I typically won't play a straight major or minor chord, preferring maj 7 or min 7. I find learning these types of things very interesting and hope we explore them should the study group get up and running. I love to hear ideas for substitutions and coloring the accompaniment.

I love all kinds of guitar and players. I still play electric in a rock cover band and still love it. But my absolute favorite way of playing for my own enjoyment is instrumental fingerstyle. I love trying to pull off being the singer and the role of the accompanying band or orchestra!

Again I'm really glad you brought up the study group idea and hope others will want to join in.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinning Boy View Post
Hi Everyone,

link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMFJ...ature=youtu.be

I hope I posted the link correctly here! Please don't be too tough on me...it's my first! Thanks Tony for your help in posting the link!

Paul
That was just lovely! Truly lovely. Such a lilting quality. Well done!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinning Boy View Post
Thank you so much for the very kind words Tony! With your encouragement I did post it to the Show and Tell section thinking it's a way to let others know there is interest in forming an arranging study group here.

The first thing I did for this was to find sheet music for it on the old Wikifonia data base. You can access it through MuseScore which I really like.

Like you, I thought D was a very nice key. Luckily MuseScore transcribed it for me. When deciding on the key I first think of the melody notes an octave higher and make sure the highest melody note never goes above the high G (15th fret on high E string). When deciding on the key I also look to see if the chords in the register seem pleasing for the overall feel and if there will be opportunities to use open strings.

Next I think about the song in two parts. First how would I play it if I were accompanying a singer and not playing melody. Second, I think how I would phrase the melody it if I were singing it, again using the notes on my guitar an octave higher than as written in the sheet music. Then I put the two together. That means finding fingerings and positions for each chord that will allow me to play the melody notes an octave higher.

I never hesitate to just play a melody note if a chord doesn't seem right or is too difficult at that instant in the song. Or maybe just play the bass note. I feel if the melody is coming through that's the main thing.

After I have the basics tied together I try and see if there are opportunities to use some chord enhancements or substitutions I've learned over time. These usually come to me as I play the song over and over. For example, I typically won't play a straight major or minor chord, preferring maj 7 or min 7. I find learning these types of things very interesting and hope we explore them should the study group get up and running. I love to hear ideas for substitutions and coloring the accompaniment.

I love all kinds of guitar and players. I still play electric in a rock cover band and still love it. But my absolute favorite way of playing for my own enjoyment is instrumental fingerstyle. I love trying to pull off being the singer and the role of the accompanying band or orchestra!

Again I'm really glad you brought up the study group idea and hope others will want to join in.
Thanks Paul. It sounds to me as if we really do have a similar approach, but different enough to come out with quite different results. That keeps things interesting. I really like your idea of treating the melody as a singer would, and then the rest being the accompaniment to the singer.

Any of us can start the study group, and we could have more than one at a time (though many folks probably won't have time for more than one). I have been spending a fair amount of time emailing with some folks here, and being busy with things I need to be doing, so I have yet to start such a thread. I suppose I could just pick a tune, start a thread and then we are off and running.

We will have "ground rules" to prevent the thread from getting side tracked. I think one good rule is that, if a person is intent on giving advice on arranging, that person should be willing to post a video or audio recording of him or herself playing their own arrangement. We want real participants in that group, rather than "armchair quarterbacks".

On the other hand, anybody should be able to pop in and ask questions. There are folks who don't feel ready to start their own arrangements, and a study group is a perfect learning opportunity for them.

If anybody has a suggestion for a tune, please - let us know here. As for where you get the original chords and melody for the tune, it shouldn't really matter. We are most likely going to be transposing it anyway, so what we show the study group is what we each are working with.

Thanks,

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write