The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-21-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Seriously good deal - let us know how it goes with it.
I received the guitar on Wednesday. I've spent a lot of time with it the last couple of days. I could not be happier.

Here are my initial impressions:

Neck nice and flat with just a little relief.
Hgt 4/64 on 3 thru 6 strings at the 12th and just a tick lower on 1 and 2.
String spacing surprised me little. I haven't measured but it feels noticeably wider than on my SG-2000

Intonation was quite a bit sharp on 5 and 6 but spot on 1-4.

Frets level with no sprout. They felt slightly "sticky", not gritty at all just a little bit of drag and after just a couple of days that feeling is fading.

Back of the neck looks beautiful, somewhere between satin and raw (closer to raw) but feels closer to satin.

Neck joint is nice and tight and pickguard fits around everything perfectly.

Tuners, pots and switch all work just as they should. No scratchiness or dragging. They have a positive feeling without being stiff.

There are a few small imperfections in the finish. The area on the back around the ferrules is not quite perfect. There is also a scuff on the back that is much smaller than a dime. I'm not uptight about these at all. They won't matter in a year.

As far as sound goes it wasn't love at first strum but I spun a few knobs and have it pretty well dialed in. I was hoping for some twang and it has plenty of that. Way different than the Yamaha.

If they all come like mine, I don't see how anyone can knock these guitars.
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 02-21-2020, 06:35 PM

compared to your others guitars- how strong would you rate the pick ups? i know thats a difficult question to answer, i guess what im asking is- are they weak?
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-22-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
compared to your others guitars- how strong would you rate the pick ups? i know thats a difficult question to answer, i guess what im asking is- are they weak?
If you are talking a strictly volume level then the pickups match well with each other and overall loudness is slightly less than the SG-2000.

I wouldn't describe them as weak in any way tho.
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 03-02-2020, 02:08 PM

i was at the pawn shop today, played a new fender bullet tele, seems to me he bought it from someone that had a new it, propbably during the $119 sale, he was asking $150, anyway- it looked well enough made, but the action was high and probably never set up, frets were good but sharp, just needed some fret filing, 1 thing i noticed i didnt care for was- the high E string didnt have any bending play-it just seemed it wanted to slide off the fretboard with the slightest bend, so i didnt bother discussing a sale price
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-02-2020, 11:09 PM

I have an Affinity toploader from about 2000; it’s my primary electric. Through a Klon, it’s a monster - the only changes from stock were new tuners and a new volume pot a year ago when the old one wore out (literally - there was very little carbon left on the track when I opened the 20-year-old pot up).

I particularly like the 1/4” thinner body....just ergonomic.

If one takes the time to play a few of them, the Affinity instruments reveal remarkably good quality. It’s kind of ridiculous but one of the very best Strats I’ve played was a black Affinity 6-screw trem instrument. Though a 1965 Deluxe Reverb, it sounded amazing.....
Old 03-03-2020, 05:17 PM

I couldn't resist one of these Bullet Teles for 130 bucks new. I didn't know what to expect (other than the generally good reviews), but I gotta say - I am pretty impressed.

The tuners are absolute crap, as to be expected. But other than that, everything else is definitely surprisingly good - including the pickups..

Mine arrived with a nice dark Indian Laurel board, and a perfect Surf Green finish. It even came set up the way I like 'em... Go figure.

After a fret polish and string change, it's a keeper.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars