The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
Are you hoping for a particular "look" to the pickguard? These two are quite transparent, as opposed to some that are darker, also the color shapes are more "smoky" than spots. They are quite nice. You mentioned that the nut and saddle are bone, any reason you didn't go with mammoth ivory that Nick lists on his website as standard?
Nick and Jeanne are making some batches of pickguards for use in future commissions. I simply asked them to make one that worked with the Cuban Mahogany. The one shown in the photos is nice but unfortunately got some particulate in it when it was setting up. They are making some more along this aesthetic for me to choose among.

Regarding fossilized mammouth, They are Nick’s standard choice in his guitars. I simply have always preferred plane ole unbleached cow bone over fossilized mammouth.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 PM

That particular pickguard style does work well with the figured mahogany. It is really turning out beautifully! I am eager to hear your impressions once you get to play it...but, of course, I am guessing that you are pretty eager, yourself!

Last edited by mhw48; 02-25-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That particular pickguard style does work well with the figured mahogany. It is really turning out beautifully! I am eager to hear your impressions once you get to play it...but, of course, you are pretty eager, yourself!
Thanks...

It has been a long journey for the creation of this guitar. Keep in mind that shortly after I placed my order in June 2017, Nick moved his house and shop from Missouri back to Oregon. He had to re-establish his shop from scratch post move. So after about 20-months, we’re finally getting near the finish line. Nick and Jeanne have been extremely accommodating throughout the process and been kind enough to share photos along the way. I do look forward to finally receiving it soon...
Old 02-25-2019, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

This is an absolutely stunning guitar.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
This is an absolutely stunning guitar.
Thank you Josh...
Old 02-27-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Wow. Nice to catch up on this thread. A real beauty for sure. Can't wait for the sound clips or at least the report.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Wow. Nice to catch up on this thread. A real beauty for sure. Can't wait for the sound clips or at least the report.

Best,
Jayne
Thanks Jayne....

We’re almost across the finish line. Nick and Jeanne are going to share 6 or so pickguard options to allow me to select one. After that, I think they will take some photos and tweak the action after a week under string load. It should make the long journey east in the next week or two. I am planning on taking this guitar with me to the Artisan Guitar Show (April 12-14) and will try to get some video and convey my impressions (and perhaps some other AGFers) after some play...
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

We chose this pickguard.... As pictured, the cast pickguard has not yet been trimmed to its final size from its cast size (hence, it is shown lying on the guitar touching the bridge).

Old 02-28-2019, 05:57 AM

Nice choice, this is really a gorgeous guitar. I see that it is in it's Visesnut case; I purchased one as well for my Franklin Dread, and really like it! Super light, and perfect fit. The only drawback is that the accessories compartment is small (and comes completely filled with the straps for the case). At first I didn't think I could fit the special truss rod tool, but found that the tip of it fits under the padding for the neck. When the compartment is closed there is no risk of the guitar itself coming in contact with the tool:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7561.jpg (57.5 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by mhw48; 02-28-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Really nice Bob! Looks like one of a kind.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nice choice, this is really a gorgeous guitar. I see that it is in it's Visesnut case; I purchased one as well for my Franklin Dread, and really like it! Super light, and perfect fit. The only drawback is that the accessories compartment is small (and comes completely filled with the straps for the case). At first I didn't think I could fit the special truss rod tool, but found that the tip of it fits under the padding for the neck. When the compartment is closed there is no risk of the guitar itself coming in contact with the tool:
Yes, I own another Visenet case already with another guitar. They are light and protective. Also, thanks for the hint regarding the TR tool. Nick has a way to deal with thye storage of the tool by drilling a hole in the accessory compartment so the handle is under the headstock (plenty of clearance) and the shaft goes through the hole and is within the compartment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Really nice Bob! Looks like one of a kind.
Aren't they all...
Old 02-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Coda

Well after after 22 months from commissioning my Franklin, Nick has completed the guitar and it looks marvelous...

As a reminder, Nick’s OMC model is larger than his OM at 15-5/8” across the lower bout. This added size is to gain back some body volume lost by the cutaway. It is also slightly deeper at 4-1/4” at the end block. This guitar has a 25.4” scale, 1-3/4” nut width and has 2-5/16” string spacing. Almost all of the initial oxidation staining in this 1968 cut German Spruce top is gone. The bridge and headplate veneer Are Brazilian Rosewood, the fretboard is Gaboon Ebony, it is bound with curly Sycamore Maple with Paua Abalone top purflings and rosette. The frets are Jescar EVO 43080 wire.

The dense Cuban Mahogany from Hawaii with its rope with flame figure looks like one would expect if Koa and Cuban Mahogany were to get together have a baby.... Nick used no pore filler on the Cuban or the 50+ year old Honduran Mahogany that he used to make the one-piece neck. The color match looks just perfect. You don’t see that dark hue in the newer mahogany. For tuners, he used Waverly gold tuning heads with Snakewood buttons.

I should get it in about a week....

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 02-28-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Congrats--that's really a stunning guitar.

Enjoy it in good health!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-28-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Congrats--that's really a stunning guitar.

Enjoy it in good health!
Old 02-28-2019, 05:46 PM

It has been really interesting and a lot of fun following the build of your guitar, getting to hear the discussions and decisions on the design, and then to getting see the guitar taking shape in Nick's very capable hands. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this thread. I am sure that you are going to really enjoy this beautiful and singular instrument, it is simply stunning! Congratulations!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop