The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 08:59 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
How can you compare playing arenas with huge stages and security everywhere to playing the local dive bar? Plus these stars have plenty of money to replace anything that gets damaged. This analogy makes no sense to me but do whatever makes you happy.
Do you think people make instrument decisions based on the level of security at the venue? I think John’s analogy does indeed make sense. If you want to baby case queens, go ahead - but playing the guitar(s) that make you happy makes more sense.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 05-16-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Do you think people make instrument decisions based on the level of security at the venue? I think John’s analogy does indeed make sense. If you want to baby case queens, go ahead - but playing the guitar(s) that make you happy makes more sense.
I'm sure the Pros have guitars even they won't take out and play on stage because they are too precious to them. And yes, I decide what guitar to bring based on several factors of the venue I'm playing and one of those is how safe is my equipment there. There are certain parts of cities I play where the crime level is much higher and I don't want to tempt anyone looking for certain models or headstocks. John's reasoning of "the pros bring their best guitars" doesn't apply to me and where I play for the reasons I gave. I don't baby my guitars...they all get used. I'm just smart about what I bring where.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:45 PM

In used to gig with my 1927 00-21 all the time. I only stopped using that guitar because I found a Taylor I just liked more.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 11-20-2023, 01:09 PM

There was a gentleman at work who retired last year that would do gigs with his daughter.

When he got a call for a gig at a new location he always made a point of letting them know how much his and his daughters Taylor's cost.

If I was the person booking, I could care less what you played or what it cost. My only question is, Are you capable of entertaining my customers for a give number of hours.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 11-20-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
Something I wrestle with: I like nice guitars, however, when I get something nice I tend to baby it, and get paranoid about taking it out to gigs, open mics, etc.

Same here. I finally decided that a guitar too good to gig is a guitar too good to own.

Similarly with adding a pickup. I think about picking up a "beater", but then I don't get the satisfaction of playing something nicer,

My solution: Only buy nice beaters.

and I've kind of boxed myself into a corner in that I tend to prefer wider nuts/string spacing which limits my options.

I'm not opposed to a "reliced" instrument, but there's limited options. I just know I would worry less about one of those. I know there are a lot of critics of artificially aged instruments, and those would say "just relic it naturally by playing it", but I bet many of them would also be cautious of taking a pricey instrument out, lol.

My opinion: It's stupid to pay extra for an artificially worn-out guitar. Used guitars are rarely pristine, and someone else has already gotten the first ding out of the way.

So I buy used.

I suppose much of my paranoia is that on the resale market the slightest imperfection can often be highly scrutinized.

That's another good reason to buy a used guitar. Someone else has already paid the not-new-anymore tax.

I have to say I didn't really worry about such things in the 70's--and I think about times when players had essentially one instrument that got used for any and every thing. What say you--just get the instrument that you want, and use it for it's intended purpose--taking it out and playing??

Yup.

Just like the old days?

Any days are old days if you wait long enough!
That's what I know. Not much help, but the price was right!
Old 11-20-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
There was a gentleman at work who retired last year that would do gigs with his daughter.

When he got a call for a gig at a new location he always made a point of letting them know how much his and his daughters Taylor's cost.

If I was the person booking, I could care less what you played or what it cost. My only question is, Are you capable of entertaining my customers for a give number of hours.

Yeah I’m not hiring somebody to play if that comes up on a call. Definitely falls under both “not my problem” and “couldn’t care less”. What a diva.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 11-20-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRockinPapi View Post
Good enough for Bruce Springsteen, good enough for me. 😎
Steve Earle said it best: If you can't play it on a six-string Japanese flattop, you haven't got a song.
Old 11-20-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Steve Earle said it best: If you can't play it on a six-string Japanese flattop, you haven't got a song.
Steve must have never played a Japanese Alvarez Yairi, some of the finest guitars made today and in the past. The Japanese luthiers in the Yairi shop in Japan are some of the most skilled on the planet. So I'll add that I don't care where a guitar is made any more either. The guy who thinks talent bookers will care how much his guitar cost might want to throw in that his Taylor is made largely by robots and should thereby cost a lot less.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion