The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 PM

Default Spontaneous guitar purchases??

Had a little time to kill last night, so stopped by the local Guitar Center...

They had the usual suspects in stock: A bunch of 100 and 200 series Taylors, a couple of the 300, 400 and 800s, A D28, some of the more middling Martins, and a whole mess of ~$200 guitars.

On the used rack they had a perfect condition Martin DRS2, the cheapest all-solid Martin you can get. Spruce/Sapele I've played these before and never thought too much of them.

Dunno why, but I pulled it down to try out and it is incredible to me. Like, really, really great. Plays and sounds absolutely fabulous. Totally captures that Martin dreadnought growl and bassy thump, while still ringing out. I like it better than any other Martin I've every played, and I think I liked it as much (but in a totally different way) as my Taylor 810. I didn't even seem to mind the 1 11/16" nut, which I usually detest...

Tag is $800 (it has an aftermarket Fishman sonotone installed), but I'm sure it's negotiable. I can afford it..

The rub?

I've been gassing HARD for a 12 fret Taylor 522. I already have a Taylor dreadnought I love, and a Rainsong dread I like to take with me when I'm afraid to bring my Taylor. I want a smaller, more intimate couch guitar.

What to do??
Old 04-20-2018, 12:58 PM

How would you feel if you went back and it wasn't there?

Seems to me you can always find another Taylor, a lower-priced Martin that does it for you is not an everyday find. I found a nice older D-1 for $500 bucks at GC recently. I didn't bite, but somebody got a nice guitar.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

If you don't like the 1 11/16" nut in general that issue might creep up again in the future.

It's easy when we are in the mood to grab and play just about any guitar. If you really try you can play dynamically, inspired, accurate, new territories on just about any guitar. Could be you were just in that zone when you walked in that acoustic room?

Or as an insurance policy buy it. You can always resell a Martin. Many of us describe a month long honeymoon phase with newly acquired acoustics. A month from now you might not be able to play complicated chords due to the strings being too close. Or this could be the guitar you write songs, or get on stage with, for years and years?
Old 04-20-2018, 12:59 PM

My most spontaneous guitar purchase was my McPherson. A friend told me about it on Craigslist on Wednesday night. I texted the guy and he said if he didn't sell it he was trading it in on Friday. The only problem? He was 450 miles away.

I took off early from work the next day. Went and grabbed a wad of cash from the bank. Drove ~7 hours each way, smiling the entire time. Left at noon and got back home at about 3am.

I would do it again if a similar deal came up. I would have kicked myself if I hadn't done it. Would you feel the same if you did/didn't buy it?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Had a little time to kill last night, so stopped by the local Guitar Center...

They had the usual suspects in stock: A bunch of 100 and 200 series Taylors, a couple of the 300, 400 and 800s, A D28, some of the more middling Martins, and a whole mess of ~$200 guitars.

On the used rack they had a perfect condition Martin DRS2, the cheapest all-solid Martin you can get. Spruce/Sapele I've played these before and never thought too much of them.

Dunno why, but I pulled it down to try out and it is incredible to me. Like, really, really great. Plays and sounds absolutely fabulous. Totally captures that Martin dreadnought growl and bassy thump, while still ringing out. I like it better than any other Martin I've every played, and I think I liked it as much (but in a totally different way) as my Taylor 810. I didn't even seem to mind the 1 11/16" nut, which I usually detest...

Tag is $800 (it has an aftermarket Fishman sonotone installed), but I'm sure it's negotiable. I can afford it..

The rub?

I've been gassing HARD for a 12 fret Taylor 522. I already have a Taylor dreadnought I love, and a Rainsong dread I like to take with me when I'm afraid to bring my Taylor. I want a smaller, more intimate couch guitar.

What to do??
May not be your cup of tea, but I would put my gretsch g9521 12 fret up against any small guitar under a grand. It is laminated back and sides, but it doesn't sound that way. It is light and resonant, 12 fret, wide saddle spacing. It is sold as a 000, but it is much smaller feeling than most 000's. The upper bout is much smaller than a Martin 000 body.
I just recently found time at the office to play it again and it's going back home with me since I don't get much time to play at work.

Go with it and then you can afford the Martin.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Spontaneous guitar purchases?

Who, me?

No, never!

Well, maybe a FEW times...

If you like the guitar and it is used, you likely won't lose too much money if down the road you decide to sell it. I'd go for it.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:08 PM

You could try going back sober
Old 04-20-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
You could try going back sober
Actually, that's a good idea... I was a little bit under the influence when I was there!
Old 04-20-2018, 01:30 PM

A brand new DRS2 with warranty and factory Fishman Sonitone is listed at 829 pretty much everywhere, and I’d bet you can get some knocked off that to make a new one cheaper than that used one, and play all the ones they have in stock to find the best.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Another thought - not to encourage your spending (but kind of to encourage your spending ) - you could consider at 322e or 322ce, which both come in 12-fret models, and save yourself a grand. I'd bet you could get a 322e or ce for $1700-1800. There's the dough for your DRS2!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-20-2018, 01:34 PM

Like we are all wont to do, I stopped in a guitar center one day to kill some time and play nice guitars in the back room. I had always admired the playability of Taylors but generally found them a bit bright for my taste--My go to was a Martin. In that back room was a used Taylor 714 with a cedar top. It was love at first sound. I kept playing until a salesman told me it was closing time and asked if I wanted to buy the thing. I said, no, I can't justify another guitar. He said, you want me to put it aside so you can think about it? I said no.

The next day was Saturday. I said to my wife, you want to go see Barb and Kevin today. (Kevin doesn't play but he loves to shop). Sure, she said. I told Kevin about the guitar and, surprise, he dragged me to Guitar Center. Went in that back room and there was the empty peg where the guitar had hung. Mixture of relief ($1,500 less on the credit card) and disappointment. Then the salesman tapped me on the shoulder. "I put it aside for you," he said.
I play that guitar every day. Best $1,500 I ever spent.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftyboy View Post
Like we are all wont to do, I stopped in a guitar center one day to kill some time and play nice guitars in the back room. I had always admired the playability of Taylors but generally found them a bit bright for my taste--My go to was a Martin. In that back room was a used Taylor 714 with a cedar top. It was love at first sound. I kept playing until a salesman told me it was closing time and asked if I wanted to buy the thing. I said, no, I can't justify another guitar. He said, you want me to put it aside so you can think about it? I said no.

The next day was Saturday. I said to my wife, you want to go see Barb and Kevin today. (Kevin doesn't play but he loves to shop). Sure, she said. I told Kevin about the guitar and, surprise, he dragged me to Guitar Center. Went in that back room and there was the empty peg where the guitar had hung. Mixture of relief ($1,500 less on the credit card) and disappointment. Then the salesman tapped me on the shoulder. "I put it aside for you," he said.
I play that guitar every day. Best $1,500 I ever spent.
This played out like a movie scene in my head. Great story!

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-20-2018, 01:40 PM

I try to avoid spontaneous/impulse purchases as they tend to be the least satisfying in the long run -- at least in my personal experience.

The only guitar I ever bought really quickly was my 1983 D-28V -- but then again I'd been looking for a D-28 for ages.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post

If you like the guitar and it is used, you likely won't lose too much money if down the road you decide to sell it. I'd go for it.

Not always true about reselling and getting most of your money back. On my local CL there are tons of Martins for sale. I just picked up a mint D-18E for $1600. The seller took a bath on that one. I’ve had a Martin GPCPA4 Siris for sale at a fair price for three months and nothing but tire kickers.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-20-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Another thought - not to encourage your spending (but kind of to encourage your spending ) - you could consider at 322e or 322ce, which both come in 12-fret models, and save yourself a grand. I'd bet you could get a 322e or ce for $1700-1800. There's the dough for your DRS2!
Honestly, I can afford both the 522 and the DRS2, without having to resort to ramen noodles... LOL

It's more about NOT having a bunch of guitars that I don't love to play all the time! I've recently downsized from 6 guitars to 2 - because I was never reaching for the other 4. I don't want to add 2 new ones that I don't reach for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten
A brand new DRS2 with warranty and factory Fishman Sonitone is listed at 829 pretty much everywhere, and I’d bet you can get some knocked off that to make a new one cheaper than that used one, and play all the ones they have in stock to find the best.
I realize $800 is not a good deal for the used DRS2 I played. Aside from fact this store only had the single used one in stock, I've played a bunch of these in the past and never liked what I heard or felt. This one was special... Or maybe I was under the influence!

Think I'll swing by GC after my guitar lesson (not at GC) tonight and give it another spin. I'll be both sad and relieved if it is gone...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion