The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-14-2021, 05:57 PM

Default Will McNicol - Jupiter

I'm finding this piece tricky, so have recorded a full run-through to see where I need to put in more time. Any thoughts/comments on areas to improve will be welcomed - I'll be working on smoothing out the fluffs/errors over the next few days, then recording it again.

Forgive the mistakes - I just played through them!

The main things I spotted:
- Too fast (doesn't surprise me, I rush stuff)
- Need to fret those low note better
- Those jerky (quick staccato?) runs up to the harmonic need work!

I'm sure there's way more!
Old 02-14-2021, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

That is so far beyond my skills, I hesitate to comment other than to say very nicely done...a pleasure to listen to! Thanks for sharing it with us, Dan
Old 02-14-2021, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Nice job on a very tough piece! Your take on this piece sounds good.

I didn't know this piece so I could not do a good job of evaluating how you are playing it. Consequently I looked it up and am posting the original here for reference.

Will McNicol keeps a beat going with plucked strings throughout the piece that helps glue all those seemingly random notes into a solid whole. It's a very ambitious piece. It sounds like the piece is played in 6/8 time.

He also has a very soft touch on those strings that is rather unique. It sounds like he is playing with bare thumb and bare fingers with no fingernails. The attack on each note seems to be quite subtle.

And his phrasing is very sensitive. It's a remarkable piece; I can see why you wanted to learn to play this.

I will look forward to hearing your next take on this.

- Glenn
Old 02-14-2021, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Good job on that. Thanks for sharing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-15-2021, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartop52 View Post
That is so far beyond my skills, I hesitate to comment other than to say very nicely done...a pleasure to listen to! Thanks for sharing it with us, Dan
Thank you for the comment!

Tom
Old 02-15-2021, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
...It sounds like the piece is played in 6/8 time.

He also has a very soft touch on those strings that is rather unique. It sounds like he is playing with bare thumb and bare fingers with no fingernails. The attack on each note seems to be quite subtle.

And his phrasing is very sensitive. It's a remarkable piece; I can see why you wanted to learn to play this...

- Glenn
Thanks for the feedback and for linking the original.

It's in 3/4 time, apart from one bar of 4/4. McNicol's touch and sound are so sweet-sounding that a few times I've have to double check that he's not playing nylon strings on some of his tunes. I'm not even gonna begin to try and replicate that tone (I like the twang of my Larrivee!), but I'll definitely try and play with a softer touch.

Listening back, I need to work on the ebb and flow of the timing along with volume. I think I have to get each of the parts more solidly ingrained in my fingers before I can concentrate on the phrasing while playing it through.

Feels like I've bitten off a bit much, but I'll give it some solid hours this week before attempting another recording.

Tom
Old 02-15-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Good job on that. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for listening!

Tom
Old 02-15-2021, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Great job on this again speaking as one where an arrangement like this is above my current pay grade.

I’m sure you will address the points you identify with more playing time but my advice would be not to worry about sounding just as Will McNichol plays it. Be comfortable with your own style and pace. You certainly have a great foundation to build from.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-15-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlwhite View Post
I'm finding this piece tricky, so have recorded a full run-through to see where I need to put in more time. Any thoughts/comments on areas to improve will be welcomed - I'll be working on smoothing out the fluffs/errors over the next few days, then recording it again.

Forgive the mistakes - I just played through them!

The main things I spotted:
- Too fast (doesn't surprise me, I rush stuff)
- Need to fret those low note better
- Those jerky (quick staccato?) runs up to the harmonic need work!

I'm sure there's way more!
I looked at that, even bought the tab, but then realised it was a massive undertaking (Bigger than Afon..) so parked it.

I think you have done a great job to get it this far - it sounds great. For me this piece is all about the soft, warm tone Will makes - nothing sharp in it. I think he does use his nails, but just controls his attack in a very classical kind of way.

He plays it in a very gentle way and it just flows.

I think just more time and a real focus on the flow and right hand attack, and you will be there before you know it..

Maybe you also need purple socks?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-15-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Great job on this again speaking as one where an arrangement like this is above my current pay grade.

I’m sure you will address the points you identify with more playing time but my advice would be not to worry about sounding just as Will McNichol plays it. Be comfortable with your own style and pace. You certainly have a great foundation to build from.
Thanks, I will have to be comfortable with my own take on it. But I'm hoping to be able to polish it in a more McNicoly way.

Tom
Old 02-15-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I looked at that, even bought the tab, but then realised it was a massive undertaking (Bigger than Afon..) so parked it.

I think you have done a great job to get it this far - it sounds great. For me this piece is all about the soft, warm tone Will makes - nothing sharp in it. I think he does use his nails, but just controls his attack in a very classical kind of way.

He plays it in a very gentle way and it just flows.

I think just more time and a real focus on the flow and right hand attack, and you will be there before you know it..

Maybe you also need purple socks?
Thanks for the encouragement. I might have to approach the next few practises with two goals: one on the left hand for accuracy, and then on the right hand to take off some of the sharpness/attack. I won't try to go full McNicol, but just have his sound in mind as I play.

I know what you mean about it feeling like a massive undertaking! It's one of those pieces where I was having to learn/adapt from the very start. Nothing feels comfortable - yet! Perhaps you're on to something with the sock choice.

Tom
Old 02-15-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlwhite View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I might have to approach the next few practises with two goals: one on the left hand for accuracy, and then on the right hand to take off some of the sharpness/attack. I won't try to go full McNicol, but just have his sound in mind as I play.

I know what you mean about it feeling like a massive undertaking! It's one of those pieces where I was having to learn/adapt from the very start. Nothing feels comfortable - yet! Perhaps you're on to something with the sock choice.

Tom
It's funny, I was thinking today just how much the move to nylon over the past few months has seen me move from ever more complex pieces on steel string, back to very simple pieces on classical but with a much higher emphasis on right hand tone - there is so much I think about now that I never thought about previously (Nail shape, hand position, wrist position, attack etc)

I think it has done me a lot of good as a player.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-15-2021, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I think the purple socks is all you need to make your rendition perfect!

It's interesting to hear from Wrighty who knows this piece. Very interesting comments.

I did not mean to suggest that you should mimic the way Will McNicol plays this piece by putting up his version. I was, however, having trouble finding a central melody in the piece as I listened to both his version and yours. What I learned from Will McNicol is that a clear, strong melody is not really there. And I think aside from all the left-hand movement and challenging chord shapes, that lack of a strong melody carrying the piece forward makes the song really hard to play. Instead, a player has to get a sense of all the chordal patterns and bouquets of sound that he created.

I think you have done a terrific job of trying to get hold of a very tough piece. Thanks for sharing it with us and for sticking your neck out.

- Glenn
Old 02-15-2021, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Great job overall, this was one of my favorite pieces for solo guitar released last year.. Must be a joy to play! Have you heard Sasquatch yet? That tune is awesome as well!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 02-15-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
It's funny, I was thinking today just how much the move to nylon over the past few months has seen me move from ever more complex pieces on steel string, back to very simple pieces on classical but with a much higher emphasis on right hand tone - there is so much I think about now that I never thought about previously (Nail shape, hand position, wrist position, attack etc)

I think it has done me a lot of good as a player.
I have not played classical for 25 years. I had lessons between 11 and 15, did grades, and enjoyed it. But back then I always had short nails! Playing with nails is new for me. I am grateful for the classical learnings though -- they have helped with persisting through pieces, plus hand positions etc., after getting back into guitar a few years ago.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell