The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

There’s this nice little beauty, and I’m guessing they would negotiate down a bit.

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...a-cruz-1929-00
Old 01-18-2021, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've never heard if Iris before so I checked out their website. Some beautiful guitars made in VT. How did you first hear of Iris?
I've known of Circle Strings (Adam Buchwald) for awhile as one of the great, up-and-coming small shop guys. Then Fretboard Journal did a podcast with Adam at the time he launched this Iris line of affordable, but still small-shop-made quality instruments that they were going to start making. I bought the first one on the market. Blew my mind. The CH is the second model of the line-up and it's the perfect small guitar.

Dale Fairbanks joined the team about a year ago now, too, so you have 2 of the best younger luthiers around working on these with some really talented younger guys learning from those masters. The style and aesthetic isn't for everyone, but the quality and the tone is really impressive and I believe that matters more than anything. Play like a dream and sound like one, too.

They're really starting to catch on, now that more are in the market and more dealers are signing on. I highly recommend.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:28 PM

Sorry, should have said that I’m in the uk or I would have had half of the guitars you all suggested, some real buries there, especially that H13. Budget not really a problem.

No love for the Gibson L-00? I tried one before I got the Collings and though it was really nice.

I keep looking at carbon fibre and even though i have a lovely carbon fibre road bike in the garage I just can’t push ther button. They sound a bit different on YouTube (which might not be a fair representation) but I’m not getting to the shops just now :-(
Old 01-18-2021, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM 1968 View Post
Sorry, should have said that I’m in the uk
The North American Guitar in the UK carries Iris guitars....
Old 01-18-2021, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This can’t have been asked before so I’ll throw it in here ;-)

I started on a Taylor GS Mini mahog, and liked it lots and in particular the size. When I went shopping for a posh guitar I managed to convince myself I’d be fine with an OM so bought a Collings OM1. However, I crave for something the size of the Taylor but the quality of the Collings. The small Collings seem to need to be ordered and I don’t want too wait 9 or 12 months for something that I might not love. So, what is the very best quality, off-the-shelf small guitar please?

As an example, I like the look of the Santa Cruz H13 but they as rare as rocking horse ..........

I understand I can’t go try anything at ther moment but presumably shops are being a bit more flexible with their returns policies?

Best, David
Hi David, Here's a thought, and the way I have "acquired" my guitars.

I have decided on the size, dimensions, (fretboard width, profile, scale) and tonewoods that I desire.
Determine the brand or brands that may make what you desire.
Build in whatever variables you would consider, and of course, budget.

Then focus your hunt, and trawl the 'net, consistently, and br prepared to jump when the ideal comes along.

It is also worth telling dealers that you think might have such an instrument to tell them of your search.

That's how I achieved most of my Collings guitars, my old Gibson archtop, my Santa Cruz RS etc.

The wait and the hunt can be exciting and frustrating, but the reward of scoring your prey will be worth it, AND you'll appreciate it all the more.

If you are looking for a Collings, then (IMHO) little else will satisfy you. You might even call Mark Althans at Collings and ask him if he can tell you where one might have been shipped.

If youdo your research, narrow down what it is you want, and find it, it's a lifelong keeper.

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2021, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
... If you are looking for a Collings, then (IMHO) little else will satisfy you. You might even call Mark Althans at Collings and ask him if he can tell you where one might have been shipped...
There are many Collings in stock at Willcutt Guitar Shoppe an hour from me.
https://willcuttguitars.com/collecti...brand=Collings
An 01 Parlor:
https://willcuttguitars.com/collecti...inker-mahogany
Old 01-18-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
...Sorry, should have said that I’m in the uk or I would have had half of the guitars you all suggested...
David, if you added "UK" to the location in your forum name, you night cut down on the recommendations for US stores and models that are not available near you. Go to User CP on the blue bar and edit your profile. Now knowing your location, you might look into Furch. They "out-Taylor" the Taylor factory, IMO.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Aha, UK.

I don’t know if any of the new Collings 14-fret 00s have made it over there, or whether that’s small enough or in your price range.

I love the 001-14 I got last summer. For me the size is perfect- a bit bigger than the 0, but still completely cozy. Short scale and 14 frets (and not a slot head; I’m lazy!) were a plus for me.

Good luck with your search
Old 01-18-2021, 08:33 PM

I have a DJr-10e and it has been awesome. It's as loud as I need it to be, looks great, and plays well. Definitely recommend to anyone who likes smaller-sized guitars.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
There’s this nice little beauty, and I’m guessing they would negotiate down a bit.

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...a-cruz-1929-00
I agree w above...if you're looking at higher end (you mentioned an H13) you really should check out the SCGC 00-1929 and also (again if it's higher end) a Bourgeois LDBO or 00-Coupe.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:51 PM

Just checked Artisan's web site, and there are a parcel of new small bodied Collings:

3 parlors
Babies in mahogany and EIR
Single Os in mahogany, EIR, and cocobolo
OOs in mahogany, EIR and all mahogany

https://artisanguitars.com/collectio...s?_usf_take=72
Old 01-18-2021, 09:53 PM

If you can get along with the rather unique aesthetics, you may want to check out a Waterloo. Collings quality in a different wrapper.
Old 01-18-2021, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Wee Lowden

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-19-2021, 03:02 PM

The fellowship of acoustics have a lovely H13 but with Brexit, import charges may make it too expensive.

https://www.tfoa.eu/en/santa-cruz-h1...ruce-2017.html
Old 01-19-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmeeg05 View Post
The fellowship of acoustics have a lovely H13 but with Brexit, import charges may make it too expensive.

https://www.tfoa.eu/en/santa-cruz-h1...ruce-2017.html
Man that is lovely! :-)
David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion