The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Default eBay ignores multiple reports of a fraudulent listing

Follow the link to see a lovely Simon Fay Model 1. Be aware however that the guitar is actually hanging on my wall and belongs to me. I’m aware where the photographs were taken, at a friend’s house in Windermere. Note also that the seller wants payment by bank transfer, a violation of eBay rules.

I contacted ebay within hours of the listing appearing to report the scam and several other friends have done the same. Nothing happened so I spoke to someone in their call center giving them all the details and also drawing their attention to the rules violation and that the scammer had listed other items which were also likely be a scam.

As you will see, with just a few hours to go the guitar remains listed!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simon-Fay...43cf%7Ciid%3A1

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-19-2021, 01:37 AM

It and all their other items are still listed.
One would hope eBay are busy working in the background doing something about this.
But hey this is eBay we’re talking about!
Old 01-19-2021, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Follow the link to see a lovely Simon Fay Model 1. Be aware however that the guitar is actually hanging on my wall and belongs to me. I’m aware where the photographs were taken, at a friend’s house in Windermere. Note also that the seller wants payment by bank transfer, a violation of eBay rules.

I contacted ebay within hours of the listing appearing to report the scam and several other friends have done the same. Nothing happened so I spoke to someone in their call center giving them all the details and also drawing their attention to the rules violation and that the scammer had listed other items which were also likely be a scam.

Why not call 101 and tell the police?
Old 01-19-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post

This is why i hardly use ebay anymore, there was a thread the other day talking about Reverb and how paypal rules allow scammers to basically scam! And iv'e been on the recieving end of a scammer involving both ebay and paypal, but no matter what evidence i sent, both ebay and paypal backed the scammer, it's ridiculous!

Surely they should instantly take this fake sale down then look into it, which to be fair they maybe doing, but they should remove the listing as a precaution and yet it's still there!!
Old 01-19-2021, 08:42 AM

Hopefully, as the seller has zero feedback as a seller, no-one will be silly enough to send them money....?
Old 01-19-2021, 09:26 AM

Funny how he is listed as a longterm
Member with 1 feedback
And 100% good rating.
Any veteran of Ebay knows
This is a dead givaway.
Perhaps they are waiting until
The auction ends to prosecute.
I can sell you a bridge in Brooklyn
But until money passes.
No crime is committed.
But seeing he is in a foreign
Country. It may be hard.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:40 AM

I just checked it out. Still there. Ebay can pull an item down at any time.

I have only purchased 2 items off of Ebay. But that was after a long telephone call to each of the sellers.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 01-19-2021, 10:54 AM

Sympathies to the OP, but it should never be this simple to get an item pulled for sale.

Suppose I list a classic car for sale. But the next day someone else lists their classic car, the same model and condition but 10% cheaper. I decide that I don't like the competition, so I contact eBay to complain about the other seller, tell them the car doesn't exist, and that it's just a scam.

Why should eBay believe me? If they take down the other ad based on my claims then they risk legal action from the other seller. And they have no way to be 100% certain if I'm telling the truth.

Normally everything is governed by policy in these environments. I'd imagine that there is be a general policy that says "we don't take down adverts just because someone asks us to". Probably nothing will be done until someone tries to buy the guitar (but, as others have said, who would do that from someone with that profile...)

It sucks, but that's how it goes.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Sympathies to the OP, but it should never be this simple to get an item pulled for sale.

Suppose I list a classic car for sale. But the next day someone else lists their classic car, the same model and condition but 10% cheaper. I decide that I don't like the competition, so I contact eBay to complain about the other seller, tell them the car doesn't exist, and that it's just a scam.

Why should eBay believe me? If they take down the other ad based on my claims then they risk legal action from the other seller. And they have no way to be 100% certain if I'm telling the truth.

Normally everything is governed by policy in these environments. I'd imagine that there is be a general policy that says "we don't take down adverts just because someone asks us to". Probably nothing will be done until someone tries to buy the guitar (but, as others have said, who would do that from someone with that profile...)

It sucks, but that's how it goes.
Sorry but that's not the same thing at all, the guitar in question is the o/p's guitar! If you were selling your car then someone put a listing on selling YOUR car would you not want ebay to take it down instantly?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
Sorry but that's not the same thing at all, the guitar in question is the o/p's guitar! If you were selling your car then someone put a listing on selling YOUR car would you not want ebay to take it down instantly?
Whether you agree with the analogy of not, it is a valid point.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-19-2021, 12:29 PM

I’m quite tempted! I mean, it is a good price for that model....
Old 01-19-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSE View Post
Read what I wrote.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Read what I wrote.
There's the disconnect
Old 01-19-2021, 02:25 PM

The guitar is located in spain, but the seller is in the UK. Another hint of slimmyness.
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 01-19-2021, 08:19 PM

Wow, it has "alessi tuners and on and on."

I've always wanted a guitar with on and on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion