The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'm not sure what's hard about this. Tab basically tells you where to put your fingers, so it's potentially easier to "sight read" tab than standard notation.

Pretty straight-forward, give it a try!
It's the Rhythm that I could never sight read on tab. I'm talking cold reading. I don't know if it's possible for me to see both the tab and standard simultaneously. You've given me the push I need to try. But my expectations of my performance are low
Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I don't know if it's possible for me to see both the tab and standard simultaneously.
Give it a go. Piano players make sense of two staves so so could you. Start off with simple and work your way up.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'm not sure what's hard about this. Tab basically tells you where to put your fingers
Hi Doug...

This is the redeeming feature of TAB in my mind. On a piano, the note on the staff can only be assigned to a single key. On a guitar one can have 6 or 8 options where to play that note.

Players who are accomplished finger identical passages differently. So I treat fingering listings as guide lines. And even where to play the note can be flexible, but TAB at least brings the option to easily display the options.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write