The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-05-2021, 02:30 PM

Default Removing Back That Has CA Super Glue Joint

Hey gang. I have a 1950s cheapo Regal archtop that I love. When we froze down here in Texas one of the back braces in the upper bout popped loose. I figured I'd take the back off and repair that and anything else I found inside there. When I started separating the back/side joint I ran into several large areas that appear to have been re-glued with CA super glue. Anyone have any experience popping a joint like that with minimal damage? I'm unsure how to proceed at this point and I've got a guitar with a loose brace and a back that's halfway off. I'd appreciate the benefit of your experience and ideas. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2021, 08:34 PM

How did you remove the back up to this point? Do you have enough of the back remove where you can lift it and get the work done by reaching in?
Old 04-05-2021, 10:00 PM

Probably time to break out the razor saw blade.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
How did you remove the back up to this point? Do you have enough of the back remove where you can lift it and get the work done by reaching in?
For the parts I was able to separate I used pallet knives heated with a clothing iron. I can't get my arm inside, the super glue is in both sides of the waist and maybe a 4 inch portion of one of the corners of the lower bout.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Probably time to break out the razor saw blade.
Ahh, I'm unfamiliar with razor saw blades, I just looked them up. Are there good ones and "bad" ones? Any recommendations? Do you lose enough wood that you have to do some kind of additional work when re-gluing the back?
Old 04-06-2021, 06:27 AM

Search online for Dan Erlywine's archtop back removal of an old Gibson. I can't seem to find it now but you might. He basically saws the back off just under the binding, removes the old lining and reinstall kerfed lining to the same height it was sawn off and glues the back on. It was a brilliant method.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:36 PM

CA dissolves in acetone - eventually. You have to keep i t wet, and acetone evaporates fast. Acetone is not as poisonous as it smells; it's not nearly as bad as lacquer thinner, but still.. 'The poison is in the dose'
Old 04-06-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
CA dissolves in acetone - eventually. You have to keep i t wet, and acetone evaporates fast. Acetone is not as poisonous as it smells; it's not nearly as bad as lacquer thinner, but still.. 'The poison is in the dose'
Keep in mind it will also absolutely dissolve any finish that the guitar has. I believe that is about the only thing that will loosen the CA glue problem.

Just be careful or plan on totally refinishing the guitar.

Good luck hermano.

Ron
Old 04-08-2021, 04:21 PM

Good info here. Thank you all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
archtop, removal, super glue