The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2021, 09:30 PM

Default Travelling without acoustic guitar

What if you’re traveling for a couple of months and you can’t bring your acoustic guitar that needs to be humidified, how would you keep your guitar humidify while away? Should I sealed the edges of the door of the guitar case?

Last edited by Wayne27; 08-03-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:38 AM

When you say door.. does that mean it's in a non-sealed wall case?

I would put it back in it's original case. I'd also put in humidi packs

https://www.daddario.com/products/ac...ipak-maintain/

If you can't put it in a proper airtight (ish) case, then yeah, tape around the door (and put in humidipacks) if you have wind humidity swings
Old 08-04-2021, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

I'd put humidipaks into the empty guitar case for several days before leaving, to get the case up to the correct moisture content. Then when you leave be sure the humidpaks are refreshed when you put the guitar in the case, and get a big plastic bag to cover the case to help keep it from drying out.

Or maybe a friend could periodically come over to check the paks?
Old 08-04-2021, 09:16 AM

Depending on how dry the storage environment is and how well sealed the case is, the rate at which the guitar dries out will vary. I'm going to assume really dry and a common wood case with vinyl "tolex" like covering.

Let me repeat what others have said: Make sure the guitar and case are humidified before you leave. I use Hummidpaks because they are longer lasting than the older sponge based systems. Don't start with a dry case, just like a dry wooden guitar it'll soak up the humidity from whatever you use to maintain humidity in the guitar. Your aim is to maintain humidity while you're gone, not start the process from a not-humidified baseline.

If using a conventional wooden case, and really dry, and a longer interval, I'd consider wrapping the case in one or two large trash bags and using the tape to close them up. I wouldn't tape the seams of the case itself because I'd be afraid it might leave tape gum residue. In my dry winter Minnesota and for two weeks, I wouldn't bother with the wrap, as in my experience the Humidipacs will hold their "charge" for two weeks in a common wood case. If you use a gig bag or cardboard case, then I'd recommend the large trash bag over the top of your gig bag.

I think you may have tried to ask your question in a different way in another thread. The point some made in response there was that most guitars are not in some kind of hair-trigger state where low humidity will cause severe damage. In the old days, it was not common to use devices to maintain humidity in guitars, and while some got damages (often repairable) over the years, others never did. Danger increases with longer intervals at drier humidity. Years in a very dry environment increase risk of cracks, changes in "action" or fret sprout. Shorter terms in just a few degrees below recommended relative humidity are not all that big of a risk. Even if I came back after two weeks and found my set of three Hummidpaks rock hard and dry in my case, I wouldn't expect damage, and I'd replace the packs on the day of my return with a fresh set.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-04-2021, 09:17 AM

Hi Wayne27,
For several summers I was in the exact same situation and here is what I did:

1. I placed either brand new or fully re-hydrated Humidipaks in their pouches in the hard shell case.
2. I placed the hard shell case into XL size yard waste/garbage bags (the big black or dark green ones.)
3. Seal the bags with packing tape.

I lived in Southern Nevada at the time and during the summer the outdoor RH hovers around 8% while indoor stays around 11% and the average Gibson or Martin case is not air tight enough to hold in humidity under those conditions so I came up with this solution.

My biggest concern was whether mold might begin to grow but some kind soul here on AGF posted a link to information about the necessary conditions for mold growth and found my situation didn't meet those conditions.

I successfully used this technique for about 5-6 consecutive summers with never a problem with any of my various guitars either all solid or solid top/lam b&s. When I returned the paks were pretty hard and used up but the humidity remained in the good range.

I hope this helps,
PJ
Old 08-04-2021, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne27 View Post
What if you’re traveling for a couple of months and you can’t bring your acoustic guitar that needs to be humidified, how would you keep your guitar humidify while away? Should I sealed the edges of the door of the guitar case?
Hi Wayne

I'd never seal humidity in a case (ever heard of mold?).

I've often loaned guitars to trusted playing friends (and students when I taught) and had them keep the humidity up and allowed them to play my instruments while we traveled.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-04-2021, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

I get my mother-in-law to check it when she comes over to water the plants. It only took me ten minutes to train her how to fill them up.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 08-04-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Hi Wayne27,
For several summers I was in the exact same situation and here is what I did:

1. I placed either brand new or fully re-hydrated Humidipaks in their pouches in the hard shell case.
2. I placed the hard shell case into XL size yard waste/garbage bags (the big black or dark green ones.)
3. Seal the bags with packing tape.

I lived in Southern Nevada at the time and during the summer the outdoor RH hovers around 8% while indoor stays around 11% and the average Gibson or Martin case is not air tight enough to hold in humidity under those conditions so I came up with this solution.

My biggest concern was whether mold might begin to grow but some kind soul here on AGF posted a link to information about the necessary conditions for mold growth and found my situation didn't meet those conditions.

I successfully used this technique for about 5-6 consecutive summers with never a problem with any of my various guitars either all solid or solid top/lam b&s. When I returned the paks were pretty hard and used up but the humidity remained in the good range.

I hope this helps,
PJ
How long would the humidity stay in a tape sealed garbage bag?
Old 08-04-2021, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if there is a market for guitar sitters? Like when my neighbor is away she hires a girl to come over and take care of the dog. The girl feeds it and takes it for walks. She told me that she spends an hour with the dog each day. I could do that with guitars. I could make sure they stay humidified, play each one to make sure they get exercised. I could talk to them and pick them up. I wonder what I could charge for such a service.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 08-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, or I've wondered if you have a local guitar shop you trust, maybe, for a fee, they'd let you store your guitar somewhere out of sight in their (presumably) humidified shop. But you'd really have to trust them! Or, as ljguitar mentioned, a guitar-knowledgeable friend you could leave it with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
I wonder if there is a market for guitar sitters? Like when my neighbor is away she hires a girl to come over and take care of the dog. The girl feeds it and takes it for walks. She told me that she spends an hour with the dog each day. I could do that with guitars. I could make sure they stay humidified, play each one to make sure they get exercised. I could talk to them and pick them up. I wonder what I could charge for such a service.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Wayne

I'd never seal humidity in a case (ever heard of mold?).

I've often loaned guitars to trusted playing friends (and students when I taught) and had them keep the humidity up and allowed them to play my instruments while we traveled.

But mold only occurs if the humidity is above 55%.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But mold only occurs if the humidity is above 55%.
Hi Wayne

If I seal items in an airtight container with moisture, how do I regulate the moisture levels for 8 weeks while I'm gone?

If you figured it out and are comfortable with it, sounds like you're good to go.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-04-2021, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

I have no experience with the D'Addario Humidipak since I keep my guitars out, but my understanding is they are a 2-way system that either absorbs or emits moisture to keep the RH in the 45-50% range - sort of like calibrating a hygrometer with Potassium Carbonate. No clue if they'd last 8 weeks however.

Quote:
Hi Wayne

If I seal items in an airtight container with moisture, how do I regulate the moisture levels for 8 weeks while I'm gone?

If you figured it out and are comfortable with it, sounds like you're good to go.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Then I would recommend a 2-way system like Boveda or Humidipak. You put one by the headstock and one hangs over the soundhole and they last 2-6 months.

I have the starter kit. It comes with the pouch (2 packs per pouch)

I use Boveda. They keep the humidity inside the case at a constant level sucking out or releasing moisture as needed.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Hi Wayne

As the thread is implying, the Hummidpaks are supposed to release or absorb moisture at a level. Sponges in soap dishes or maybe even water beads probably won't do this.

Also as to the questions elsewhere in the thread about what if the Hummidpaks go dry -- it seems to me that time at what level of dryness is an important factor. Even when the pack is dried out, the case (if wood) and guitar hold moisture. It's not like a few days with no regulation from a dried out hummidpak is going to cause a dangerous event.

As you imply, it seems to me excess moisture at an extreme level is a more quick acting risk event than dryness. (speaking here of the woods, not finish cracking from quick temperature changes).

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion