The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-22-2021, 11:34 AM

Ok, I removed the Elixir strings and put Daddario strings. Oh man, it was as I suspected. Daddario is so much more soft, now that's what I'm talking, its like I'm playing cotton compared to Elixir, Elixir is like playing hard stiff steel (the worst type of steel) strings, wow, I'm so glad I changed it. Now I think it's about practicing a little bit more with all the tips I got it

I knew something wasn't right. So I guess I'm not using Elixir ever again
Old 06-22-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearis View Post
Ok, I removed the Elixir strings and put Daddario strings. Oh man, it was as I suspected. Daddario is so much more soft, now that's what I'm talking, its like I'm playing cotton compared to Elixir, Elixir is like playing hard stiff steel (the worst type of steel) strings, wow, I'm so glad I changed it. Now I think it's about practicing a little bit more with all the tips I got it
I knew something wasn't right. So I guess I'm not using Elixir ever again
I never found Elixir strings stiffer than any other strings of the same string gauges. Tension charts for most strings are available online to look at.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-22-2021, 11:53 AM

Oh man I can't believe it, I don't need to practice anymore (I mean practice F chords, or first fret barre chords, now it's about speed), both Fm and F is sounding perfectly (98% of the time). I guess the time I spend with the hardcore strings (Elixir) was kinda good if you look at another view. Uau, I can move foward now

I guess I beat the hardcore F BOSS FIGHT* and now I'm a legit official guitarist!! xD

*I like to play games too, so that's why the analogy

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-22-2021 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Profanity prohibited
Old 06-22-2021, 12:35 PM

Thanks so much for all the help guys! It was absolutely amazing, if I need help with something else, I know I can count on you

Last edited by rearis; 06-22-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin View Post
Of the 30-odd different string sets I've tried in the last year or so, Elixirs are pretty much average for stiffness, maybe tending towards the higher end of the average part of the range. There are certainly stiffer strings than Elixirs. On the other hand, there are certainly softer strings too, including D'Addario, Santa Cruz, and GHS.
About all I can get localy (small town) are GHS, D'Addario, Gibson (I think these are DAddario) and Ernie Ball... so perhaps thats why I think they are stiff. Allot of it could be how slippery the coating is too, all I know is I have to work noticably harder to bend them.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
About all I can get localy (small town) are GHS, D'Addario, Gibson (I think these are DAddario) and Ernie Ball... so perhaps thats why I think they are stiff.
Whatever you do, don't buy Elixir
Old 06-22-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Oh man I can't believe it, I don't need to practice anymore (I mean practice F chords, or first fret barre chords, now it's about speed), both Fm and F is sounding perfectly (98% of the time). I guess the time I spend with the hardcore strings (Elixir) was kinda good if you look at another view. Uau, I can move foward now

I guess I beat the hardcore F BOSS FIGHT* and now I'm a legit official guitarist!! xD

*I like to play games too, so that's why the analogy
Learn how to play "Interstate Love Song" and that F chord starts to feel pretty easy LOL. Or just learn it because its a song that sounds surprizingly awesome on an acoustic guitar and nobody else at the campfire would think of playing it... aka, my favorite kind of song. Just go learn it, really, I'll wait.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-22-2021 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Profanity; Edited quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Learn how to play "Interstate Love Song" and that F chord starts to feel pretty easy LOL. Or just learn it because its a song that sounds surprizingly awesome on an acoustic guitar that nobody else at the campfire would think of playing it... aka, my favorite kind of song.
I don't know if that's sarcastic or not because I don't know the song

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-22-2021 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:49 PM

I was thinking, maybe the Elixir that I bought wasn't original? I bought online and I paid a lot of money, it looks like it was original indeed but who knows. Well I'm not buying again just in case. Daddario and Ernielball do the job just fine.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:53 PM

Anyway I got a very amateur YouTube channel which I just created to record my progress, go check it out if you wanna laugh or give me some advice

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYT...ATNiHsQ/videos

Most of the song is in brazilian because I'm brazilian LOL but there's some english ones too and even my first time learning barre, not even a chord but just the barre without freting LOL

My english of course is broken, I'm best at writing not talking english xd
Old 06-22-2021, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dude, thanks for these videos!! I'll apply your tips tomorrow, you play so easily LOL

So basically I'm suppose to use the side of my finger, which I already knew that but it only works if I use the middle of the finger. And I have to make a diagonal shape with the index finger, and let the tip of it stands out a little bit?

You said the the finger aren't suppose to be perpendicular to the fretboard except the F chord? I didn't quite get that. It's in the third video at 0:12 - 0:25.
Hi rearis

I suppose my barre finger gets a bit more perpendicular when I barre an F, but not totally. I find barres easier when you don't try to accomplish them with sheer strength.

And all of us need to modify our barre positions to fit our hands. I don't think there is a perfect, nor universal way to barre 'correctly'. After teaching fingerstyle for 40 years, I've seen amazing ways people have learned to easily barre (even the F on the first fret).

For me I need to extend my barre finger a bit as I go up the fingerboard to avoid the crease inside of my knuckle from falling directly over a string (you have talked about this already).

Barres are not a strength move, but more a lever forming pressure using the finger, thumb (underneath the neck) and fretting 'elbow'. Keeping the headstock elevated to at least chin level helps (unless you play with a strap at waist level).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-22-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi rearis

I suppose my barre finger gets a bit more perpendicular when I barre an F, but not totally. I find barres easier when you don't try to accomplish them with sheer strength.

And all of us need to modify our barre positions to fit our hands. I don't think there is a perfect, nor universal way to barre 'correctly'. After teaching fingerstyle for 40 years, I've seen amazing ways people have learned to easily barre (even the F on the first fret).

For me I need to extend my barre finger a bit as I go up the fingerboard to avoid the crease inside of my knuckle from falling directly over a string (you have talked about this already).

Barres are not a strength move, but more a lever forming pressure using the finger, thumb (underneath the neck) and fretting 'elbow'. Keeping the headstock elevated to at least chin level helps (unless you play with a strap at waist level).

Thanks man. I really enjoyed your videos. So short, simple and helpful
Old 06-23-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I don't know if that's sarcastic or not because I don't know the song
No I'm serious (ish), that song has some tricky chords in it.
Old 06-23-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
No I'm serious (ish), that song has some tricky chords in it.
"serious (ish)" LMAO
Old 06-23-2021, 02:06 PM

So guys I did a little video showing the current state of my F and Fm chord. Looks like I can do them but in the Fm chord, the G string sounds buzzing a lot, is that normal, like do I need to fix that or I can move forward?

The F chord I just need to put my fingers in the right position as you can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtRB...enanRischiotto

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write