The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2021, 02:29 PM

Not an expert, but the 000-18 would seem to be the best fit based on what you're playing now, how you play, and what you're after in terms of sound and overtones.

The 000-15 was (to me) quite a different sound than a 000-18. It's worth playing both if you can to make sure you like the mahogany sound.

For me, I ended up with a used Eastman E20-OM that's basically a 000, despite the OM name, and is Adirondack Spruce & Rosewood). For the price of all three of my steel string guitars, I could buy one used Martin, maybe... Due to Martin shortage at the moment, prices on the used market are nearly the same as new prices.
Yamaha LL16 12-string - engelmann/rosewood
Eastman E20-OM - adirondack/rosewood
Taylor GS Mini - mahogany/mahogany
Old 06-16-2021, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I've taken delivery of two Eastman OMs in the last two weeks and they are both stellar and inexpensive. Good luck with your quest!
Old 06-16-2021, 03:10 PM

Nice playing, Jeff.

As Jim and several others have pointed out, the 000-18 with its spruce top is just going to be more versatile than an all-mahogany guitar is going to be. More tone colors and a greater dynamic range. So for that reason I agree with those voting for the 000-18: I just think it can DO more.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-16-2021, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Another fan of the 000-18 for your playing style. I can't imagine you two not becoming good friends very quickly?

Last edited by llew; 06-16-2021 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:18 PM

Nah, no hijack at all. I'm pretty set on a Martin, as this is probably "the flat top" for me, as I'm not primarily an acoustic player.

I'm not a fan of Eastman's archtops (nothing wrong with them, they just go after a Benedetto sound where I prefer like a Gibson sound) but I've heard good things about their flat tops.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-16-2021, 03:20 PM

So a question...

Structurally, what are the differences between a 000-18 and the current 000-17. Aesthetically, i love the 17...and its quite a bit cheaper. I know the obvious differences (ebony v rosewood, gloss v satin)

Oh, and a big thanks for all the details everyone has provided in this thread...it's precisely why I asked here!

Old 06-16-2021, 03:54 PM

Besides the ebony vs. rosewood, one way they keep the cost down is the sunburst and painted finishes allow them to use pieces of wood that have more visual imperfections: knot shadows, wavey grain, runout etc. Usually these things won't cause much difference in sound, assuming all else is equal, but due to consumer preferences for clear, straight grain, these pieces of wood are cheaper.
Yamaha LL16 12-string - engelmann/rosewood
Eastman E20-OM - adirondack/rosewood
Taylor GS Mini - mahogany/mahogany
Old 06-16-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
Out of the 3 you mention, it's next to impossible to go wrong with a good OOO-18. You have to go play them and see for yourself, but that's where I'd go if it were me.
This ^^^^^. I wasn't sold on the 000-18 as I already had 7 other acoustics. I played it and oh my, had to have it.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:08 PM

I have the 000-18 and the 000-28 Modern Deluxe. The 000-28 is the superior guitar, but the 000-18 does not lag far behind. I play them both with equal satisfaction.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:25 PM

Thanks again all. Lots of good info.

Pretty much I've figured out that I've narrowed it down as far as I can go...now to save some cash and go shopping

Old 06-17-2021, 03:04 AM

This thread has been useful to me. I have been considering. 000-28, 000-17 and a 000-18. Before the thread started I had just about eliminated the 28 because I wanted a mahogany body, at least back and sides. I also wanted a short scale. Comments on this thread have helped. Thank you for the thread.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion