The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Default So I had decided on a Martin OM-28 MD but then...

I had sort of settled on a Martin D-35, but then liked the Gibson J-45 Std with vintage sunburst a lot as well. Now, one store offered me a really good deal on a brand new Martin OM-28 Modern Deluxe (MD). I had originally written the MD's off because of the added price, but now it becomes a lot more compelling.

The new MD unit sounds great out-of-box, definitely a "smaller" sound to the D-28 MD I compared it to (as well as a D-28 1937 Authentic), but it plays really well, has a comfortable size, beautiful appointments like the golden frets and tuners, solid hog neck, very light with the titanium trust rod etc. It is more of a guitar than I'll ever be a player, and the smaller size will do just fine in/around the house (I'm not playing in a band or performing).

I also made the "mistake" of playing a Martin D-41 which just had a stunning sound with the higher quality tonewoods and it is a beautiful and blingy machine. The price of $4,800 before discounts is sort of off-putting and then I should evaluate Collings, Huss & Dalton, etc more closely. But the sound definitely impressed me a lot!

My last question/post though has more to do with not having tried out the reimagined Martin M-36 or J-40. Is it worth pulling the trigger on the OM-28MD without having tried the M-36 or J-40? Is the sound/feel/playability significantly different to an OM-28 MD? Is it worth spending even more time testing and researching? At some point, the added value of additional research/testing starts to diminish, right? There is something to be said to just get the darn guitar and spend more time practicing.

So pull the trigger on the OM-28 MD or wait (weeks? months?) before I try a M36 or J-40? Or order a M-36 online, which saves me money, and assume I'm going to like it? Or just save some money and get a Gibson J-45 and call it a day...

I never had such a hard time making a purchasing decision in my life! :-)

Sorry for the rant and thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Pat
Old 03-24-2020, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

I would also consider this Bourgeois OM from a fellow forum member. Bourgeois nails the OMs.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=573654
Old 03-24-2020, 07:24 PM

Your choices are all over the map. I could tell you that you should hold off and keep playing them until you find "the one", but you'd probably not listen. So instead, I offer this; how about something used? That way you could get a guitar now which will inevitably help you figure out what you are really looking for, and when you sell it, you won't loose too much in the process. Wait until you have a very clear handle on what it is you really want before dropping the big bucks.

BTW - there may be some good deals now, but wait a month and I'd imagine there will be some stellar deals to be had. Just a hunch.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 PM

Is there a wrong choice amongst those guitars?

The OM-28 is a beautiful guitar. Plus that, it will open up over time. Who is to say what guitar will sound the best in a couple of years time? If you are getting a good deal on it, you won't lose too much in the future if you decide to change/upgrade.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020
Old 03-24-2020, 08:10 PM

Everything you posted is true - especially the D-41. However, as stated above, you are all over the place. You'll have to decide if you want the power of a dread or the more intimate sounds of an OM or.............. Keep playing.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:12 PM

I would say that you are not ready to pull the plug on any guitar yet.
Don't rush into it.
Take your time and decide just what sound you are looking for.
If you really like the D-41, an OM may not fill your needs.

At least it sounds like you have chosen Rosewood over Mahogany or other back and side woods.

Take your time and be sure that you get what you really want.
If you choose wrong, it will cost you about $1.000.00 when you sell the guitar.

Yes this virus thing is making it hard to do things like go and play guitars but don't rush into it.
You will be happy in the end.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Work a few extra weeks and get the D-41.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input so far. I know I'm all over the place which is why I vented/shared my frustration - is it normal to have such a hard time? :-)

I guess part of my hesitation with the OM-28MD is if it will stand the test of time? Or is the Modern Deluxe line something that will fizzle out in one or two years, and be viewed as an obscure trial by Martin and experience little demand/resale value?
Old 03-25-2020, 07:03 AM

I sold my d28 marquis and bought the Martin om 28 md.
I love my new guitar. No bad choices. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:06 AM

There is a good deal on a used one on he forum. You could save a grand.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:12 AM

Default Decisions, decisions......

As you're already in the price range, add Collings OM-1 to the list.

I played one on a recent trip to California and it was outstanding.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 03-25-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Thanks for the input so far. I know I'm all over the place which is why I vented/shared my frustration - is it normal to have such a hard time? :-)

I guess part of my hesitation with the OM-28MD is if it will stand the test of time? Or is the Modern Deluxe line something that will fizzle out in one or two years, and be viewed as an obscure trial by Martin and experience little demand/resale value?
Nobody can predict the future. IMHO the MD line has been well received and has plenty of fans. And even if it does go away, look at the authentics and GE's. Still great guitars that are still in demand, despite them being discontinued by Martin. It wouln't surprise me one bit if they go up in value over time, as they become less abundant. So I wouln't worry about that aspect of it if I were you.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:26 AM

In reading your post my first thought was "He needs to try Bourgeois." If you like the Martin sound you will probably like the Bourgeois too. The OM Country Boy is my grail guitar. Since you seem to be leaning toward rosewood, the one on the For Sale looks perfect. Price is great too - no affiliation BTW. If you could do a return period on that one, you would be out shipping at most. I'd certainly check that out.

But yes, you need to decide what you want first. I know, easier said than done.

Have fun!
Old 03-25-2020, 08:14 AM

I think at this point you'll be 2nd guessing yourself no matter what you get. Take your time and let it come to you.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 AM

I own a OM-28MD and D-28MD. I've played a M-36 and a J-40, and, IMHO, they are nowhere near as good as the OM-28MD. I wouldn't hesitate, unless you decide you want a bigger body guitar. In that case, I would go to the D-28 MD or D-41, anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, j-45, martin, modern deluxe, om-28