The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-08-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default I'm On Fire by Bruce Springsteen (cover)

"I'm On Fire" was released in 1984 as part of Springsteen's classic album, Born in the U.S.A. I've always appreciated this song but never tried to play it until now.

It took me a week or so to get the new finger picking pattern down so that I could reliably record this and bring out the signature sound of the lead guitar in Springsteen's famous recording. I am palm muting most of the lower, wound strings on the Martin 000-28VS played in this video, and because I am not hitting the high, unwound strings much, if at all, the guitar almost sounds like a classical guitar.

I started out duplicating the sound of the E Street Band, using a Fender Stratocaster electric guitar, which I thought sounded really cool. But my wife suggested I use an acoustic guitar to get a warmer sound, and once I tried it, I liked the sound instantly.

I couldn't help myself... I added a drum track, bass and a synthesizer track to pay homage to the original arrangement, which I like very much.

The background behind me in the video is a short, looped 20-30 second video, which I took of the smouldering embers in my small wood stove in my studio.

I hope you like this -- thanks for watching!

- Glenn
Old 01-08-2020, 01:17 PM

Glenn that was fantastic!
Old 01-08-2020, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Glenn that was fantastic!
Thank you Mesa!

I'm so glad you enjoyed that! Thanks so much for taking the time to watch and then comment here!

- Glenn
Old 01-08-2020, 05:42 PM

Hi Glenn! Once again you've hit it out of the park!! What an elegant production you've put together....I'm just amazed at what your hard work produces.

And, what a great idea to loop the video of the embers in your wood stove! Genius!

All the best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-08-2020, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Hi Glenn! Once again you've hit it out of the park!! What an elegant production you've put together....I'm just amazed at what your hard work produces.

And, what a great idea to loop the video of the embers in your wood stove! Genius!

All the best,
Fred
Thank you Fred!

I'm really pleased that you felt that this came out well! I'm amazed when I look at the final video at how short it is. 2:36, I think... I tried to match Springsteen's tempo, which is up there at about 170 bpm, which is really clipping along!

I worried a little about the backdrop of fire. I did not want anyone to think that I was making light of all those horrible fires right now in Australia. But filming those embers didn't look at all like the fires in Australia, though they did look plenty warm. The red color made a very good backdrop and a very good contrast in color.

Where I film these videos takes up one little corner of my studio. As you point out, it's pretty phenomenal what can be produced with modern equipment today. Thanks so much for your very supportive comments Fred! It's always a pleasure to hear from you!

- Glenn
Old 01-08-2020, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Hey Glenn, that was great! I remember when you “flirted” with this one a couple of years ago, I’m glad you finally got it recorded. Nice falsetto at the end, too
Old 01-08-2020, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hey Glenn, that was great! I remember when you “flirted” with this one a couple of years ago, I’m glad you finally got it recorded. Nice falsetto at the end, too
Thank you Bob!

Oh, I had forgotten that I had flirted with this some time ago. Interesting that you should remember that I was thinking about this! I am very pleased that you feel that this came out well!

As for the falsetto at the end, you probably know that as we age, the falsetto in a male singing voice is the first thing to go. So my falsetto is not as good as it was when I was 30 years younger. But I have found that if I practice this kind of thing over a series of days, that I can bring some of my falsetto back. These particular falsetto lines by Springsteen were quite high, so I really had to work on this! Thanks for noticing!

- Glenn
Old 01-08-2020, 06:45 PM

Fantastic Glenn and kind of timely for me here in Australia at the moment!
I almost was on fire - it doesn't get much closer.
My town got it's eyebrows singed.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-08-2020, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Fantastic Glenn and kind of timely for me here in Australia at the moment!
I almost was on fire - it doesn't get much closer.
My town got it's eyebrows singed.
Hi Bruce!

Thank you for commenting on this!

Believe it or not, I was thinking about you and a couple of other guitar players I know in Australia and thinking about the horrible fires you're having right now. I was very much up on your thread in OPEN MIC about how close the fire came to you and your own house. I'm so glad that you and your wife and your home were spared! What an incredibly close call!

I'm glad you thought this video came out okay! You may have noted earlier in this thread, I did not want anyone to think that I was making light of the fires over there in Australia because of my backdrop of embers behind me in the video.

Here's to you, Bruce, and to your wife and hoping that your risks of fire are now over for a while!

All the best to you Bruce!
- Glenn
Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you Bob!

As for the falsetto at the end, you probably know that as we age, the falsetto in a male singing voice is the first thing to go. So my falsetto is not as good as it was when I was 30 years younger. But I have found that if I practice this kind of thing over a series of days, that I can bring some of my falsetto back. These particular falsetto lines by Springsteen were quite high, so I really had to work on this! Thanks for noticing!

- Glenn
Don’t forget the Boss was 35 years younger than he is now when he recorded this, so you did just fine
Old 01-08-2020, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Don’t forget the Boss was 35 years younger than he is now when he recorded this, so you did just fine
Hi Bob,

Yes, I couldn't help being very much aware how much younger Bruce was when this was recorded compared to where I am now! I kept thinking, this is a song about being young, so I couldn't help wondering if it even made sense for me to sing this!

But... I couldn't help enjoying his song and I couldn't help wanting to play it!

Thanks again, Bob!

- Glenn
Old 01-08-2020, 08:35 PM

We have a winner! Wow! I really enjoyed the creativity in the whole production.
Nice of you for sharing. Also, your sensitivity concerning the feelings of others,
shows the kind of person and musician you are. Keep doing what you do.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westview View Post
We have a winner! Wow! I really enjoyed the creativity in the whole production.
Nice of you for sharing. Also, your sensitivity concerning the feelings of others,
shows the kind of person and musician you are. Keep doing what you do.
Thank you Westview!

What a very kind and supportive post from you! Thank you so very much! It's wonderful to have a fellow musician and guitar enthusiast appreciate a video like this along with my meager efforts. You really make me feel that this kind of effort is really worthwhile! I'm so glad you enjoyed this!

All the best to you Westview!

- Glenn
Old 01-08-2020, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Nice job, Glenn! Not usually a fan of "backing tracks", but you did a great job keeping things under control...

Very pretty little guitar, too! I found myself wanting to hear some single note lines or thirds along with the basic guitar part...

Thanks for posting!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 01-08-2020, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Wow, Glenn. That was superb...may have to start calling you ‘Boss’.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell