The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-16-2019, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Journey OF660 vs FP412

I've owned two OF660's over the years and they are great travel guitars. I ended up selling both off when my travel needs (always work related) evaporated. We are about to enter a six month or so period of being very slow at work and since I'm on evening shift and work alone in a secluded area I was thinking it might be nice to have a guitar I can leave in my locker to use on those long, slow evenings. So I'm once again considering a Journey as it will be the easiest to get into work without drawing attention in its backpack case.

While the durability of the carbon fiber models are a plus for travel or leaving it in a car, it's not necessary for the current application of being left in a locker at work. I read here in CF once a person said that after trying out the new First Class series of Journey guitars, specifically the FP412 parlor, they were so impressed with the improved tone over the OF660 that they sold their 660 and bought one of those. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried out the new First Class series (they also are making a full size GA model) and if so your thoughts especially if you have owned or played an OF660.

The FP412's are several hundred dollars less than the OF660's so I'm considering going that route instead unless I can pick one up used on the cheap.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I had to look up the FP412 parlor - looks like it has an arm bevel similar to the Academy line from Taylor. That would be a plus for me.

On a side note: what kind of job do you have that allows time for playing guitar while on the clock? Being a working musician is the only one I ever had that allowed that.

I am thinking about selling the SLG nylon - it would stand up nice in a locker in its case.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Guest 928

Methos;

The captain makes a pretty good suggestion. The SLG is a cool instrument, very compact, nice electronics, excellent sound.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Factory job as a materials inspector in the quality department. We're in the middle of an overhaul of the company and they've told us to expect a slow down that will last a few months. I can only watch so many YouTube videos at night before I go insane so a guitar at work that I could pull out and practice with would be a bonus. More productive use of my downtime.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Yes, the SLG would be a good idea as well. So many choices.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:59 PM

Lots of choices indeed.

If you are not concerned air travel (collapsible neck) but want the take anywhere and not worry about wood issues, you might also consider the RT660. A bolt neck, but I would imagine you would also get fuller tone and more volume out of the RT. Still expensive, even used but I did spot this on Sweetwater

https://www.sweetwater.com/used/list...n-fiber-rt660m

Last edited by steelvibe; 11-16-2019 at 01:04 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-17-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Lots of choices indeed.

If you are not concerned air travel (collapsible neck) but want the take anywhere and not worry about wood issues, you might also consider the RT660. A bolt neck, but I would imagine you would also get fuller tone and more volume out of the RT. Still expensive, even used but I did spot this on Sweetwater

https://www.sweetwater.com/used/list...n-fiber-rt660m
While I would not take my short and limited experience to the bank, I will offer my impression of the two side-by-side, where they were both hanging on the wall at Elderly: to me they both sounded very good, quite bassy, and (to my admittedly "limited" ear) similar to the point of identical
Old 11-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
While I would not take my short and limited experience to the bank, I will offer my impression of the two side-by-side, where they were both hanging on the wall at Elderly: to me they both sounded very good, quite bassy, and (to my admittedly "limited" ear) similar to the point of identical
Which two are you discussing here? Those mentioned by the OP? Or....

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber