The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2023, 10:35 AM

Default Larrivee Tommy Emmanuel vs. Furch Orange

I'm primarily an electric player ("jazz-ish"), but want to upgrade my acoustic (from an ancient Guild D25-M, with the bridge filed down by Paul Reed Smith, back when he ran his shop in Annapolis, Maryland :-) ).

A friend has a Larrivee Tommy Emmanuel (C-03R-TE), which I've played a bit, and really liked! Low action, and super easy to play (with my point of reference being my old Guild, and two electrics). And a beautiful sound. But the "playability" was especially appealing, given that I'm used to playing electrics. And, of course, my friend's Larrivee is so much nicer than my Guild -- both in playability and sound.

I'm posting, though, because I'm intrigued by all the great things I've heard about Furch guitars (and the lovely sounds I've heard from them on YouTube). The Orange series seems to be about the same price as the Larrivee. Perhaps the Furch Orange SR Gc? I'm in the Washington DC area, which doesn't seem to have any Furch dealers (?) where I could try one out.

It's fair to say that I don't really have acoustic chops; it's something I want to work on. I don't expect to gig; just mostly home recording/learning/experimenting. At this point in my guitar journey I can't really say that I'm a "flat picker" or "finger picker," or whatever. TBD...

Should I consider the Furch, even though I'd likely have to order it without having played it first? Or just stick with the Larrivee, which I tried and know I'd really like? Advice? Pros and cons to consider?

p.s.: Sorry about mangling the spelling of Larrivee in my post's title! I'll blame it on auto-correct...

Last edited by ssickels; 07-25-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 10:53 AM

Default Larvae Tommy Emmanuel vs. Furch Orange

I own a Larrivee with a moon spruce (alpine) top which is lovely. I also own a Furch vintage dreadnought with Sitka top (their standard). The Furch is a very nice guitar, but they lean towards the Taylor tone. Larrivee is it’s own thing, different bracing, etc. If you can get a Larrivee with an alpine top, or the Furch with an Alpine top you might like it. They tend to have a little more headroom and clearer (less harsh) tone when brand new. Or, offer buy your friends Larrivee? Sometimes guitars are just special.
Old 07-25-2023, 11:36 AM

Thanks! That's really helpful. I found a nice video that highlights the Taylor vs. Larrivee "sound." On first listen, at least, I prefer the Larrivee. I'll listen and explore some more.

Regarding:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Or, offer buy your friends Larrivee? Sometimes guitars are just special.
Haha! He's been playing for years, and is so happy with his new Larrivee (compared with everything else he's ever played), so that's not going to happen...
Old 07-25-2023, 11:38 AM

Isn't the TE a 12 fret to body? Not sure if that matters to you vs. the Furch.

I know many say Furch's reside in the Taylor camp but not really at the same time. They are responsive and lightly built so the more immediateness to the tone is apparent which some may perceive as bright. They are more rich and full IMO.
Old 07-25-2023, 01:32 PM

Do you prefer pickup trucks made by Ford, Chevrolet, or Toyota? It's kinda the same thing as there are good and bad points about either. They all do the same basic job well. Taylor, Furch and Larrivee all have their basic tonal profiles, all slightly different but all are fine guitars.

I have limited experience with Furch but it is very positive. In my opinion, they "out-Taylor" the several Taylor guitars that I have owned. I did briefly own a Larrivee OM-03 koa, but it went back for reasons other than being unhappy with the guitar. (The dealer modified it without permission in the few weeks between purchase and pickup - absolutely not the guitar's fault).

PS: You can correct the thread title. As the thread author go to the USER CP button on the blue bar, then you can edit the title. Or ask a moderator. Try it yourself first (teach a man to fish mode).
Old 07-25-2023, 01:42 PM

I have the TE model. It's probably the best sounding guitar I own, including far more expensive things. A real jewell. I think the 12 fret sweetens it and the cutaway means no reaching problems.mgreat guitar.
Old 07-25-2023, 02:41 PM

Thread title reads at this moment: Larvae Tommy Emmanuel vs. Furch Orange.

Larvae guitar wood? I've heard of teredo wood--cavities created by a marine pelecypod (AKA, bivalve--or even the lamellibranchia of older taxonomic terminology) that penetrates, bores, into wood--but, not guitar woods bored by insect larvae.

Interesting.

At any rate, guitars made from both teredo and larvae woods would be rather boring...

Last edited by Inyo; 07-25-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Thread title reads at this moment: Larvae Tommy Emmanuel vs. Furch Orange.

Larvae guitar wood? I've heard of teredo wood--cavities created by a marine pelecypod (AKA, bivalve--or even the lamellibranchia of older taxonomic terminology) that penetrates, bores, into wood--but, not guitar woods bored by insect larvae.

Interesting.

At any rate, guitars made from both teredo and larvae woods would be rather boring...
Actually a very rare guitar the Larvae. Starts out as a parlor but eventually emerges as a jumbo.
Old 07-25-2023, 03:23 PM

My Furch OM2SR sounds nothing like a Taylor. It’s warmer and more Martin-like.. the build quality is superb as is Larrivee.

If you can order from a dealer with a good return policy, I’d advise trying a Furch. I much prefer the Furch neck to all the Larrivees I’ve owned.

Rb
Old 07-25-2023, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
Actually a very rare guitar the Larvae. Starts out as a parlor but eventually emerges as a jumbo.
Fixed! And thank goodness! The size has stabilized…
Old 07-25-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssickels View Post
Fixed! And thank goodness! The size has stabilized…
All kidding aside I've had a couple of Larrivees including a L body. They all sound great.
Old 07-25-2023, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
I have the TE model. It's probably the best sounding guitar I own, including far more expensive things. A real jewell.
That’s really nice to hear; thanks.
Old 07-25-2023, 05:23 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Furch isn't completely Taylorish, but it is a modern sound. I had a Larrivee OM-05, great guitar, but the Furch voice is more to my liking. Generally though the old saying, "a bird in hand is better than two on a bush" prevails here. In this case go with the sound that you know and liked, the Larrivee.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-25-2023, 06:41 PM

Default Larrivee Tommy Emmanuel vs. Furch Orange

I think I sent the thread a little off kilter with my “Taylor” comment. Furch is not the same as a Taylor. But, to my ears, mine, and the ones I’ve played, lean slightly towards Taylor as opposed to Martin. I’m sure there are examples that don’t. My opinion on the Furch changed a little over the last month when I got my hearing aids adjusted. Either way, Furch makes a very nice guitar with an excellently design neck and attachment system. Larrrivee also makes some great guitars, especially the Jean original shapes like the L and C.

Last edited by martingitdave; 07-25-2023 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2023, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I think I sent the thread a little off kilter with my “Taylor” comment. Furch is not the same as a Taylor. But, to my ears, mine, and the ones I’ve played, lean slightly towards Taylor as opposed to Martin
Thanks -- your comment was quite helpful: gave me things to listen to (and for) on YouTube. Here's a video comparing Taylor and Furch (both top end models). And to my ears there's definitely a difference. (I focused on the mic'd sound.) In this video, at least, I prefer the Furch.

In general, I really appreciate everyone's comments. The whole "modern vs. traditional" sound thing is new to me, but by listening to well-produced (and well-mic'd) videos (of which there are many!), I'm learning...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
comparison, furch guitars, larrivee