The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-04-2003, 12:05 PM

Default Titanium strings

Found an interesting website---www.rohrtech.com.They make titanium-core acoustic strings with both phosphor bronze wrap and nickel wrap.Expensive($13.50&17.00 respectively),but they claim the PBs last much longer than other strings,and the nickels are actually corrosion PROOF,and presumably die only from mechanical stress--corrosion not a factor.I know that a couple of members claim that their hands are so acidic that NO strings last over a few days.Anyone familiar with Rohrbacher products?Anyone tried or heard about these strings?
Old 03-04-2003, 12:13 PM
Me

Wow, I would love to read a review. I love titamium. I'll have to check that out. I don't think you can get tensile strength or hardness as high as steel, and they would have to be larger because the density is lower, to get the mass up.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:21 PM

They are not that much more than Elixers.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:39 PM
AGF Bouncer

Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrry interesting.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:18 PM

Makes me wonder. The Taylor website refers to the ES string sensor providing "balanced string input", and "utilizing the guitar’s entire soundboard to create a network of magnetic surface sensing microphones." Could the titanium strings would be a problem??
Old 03-04-2003, 06:49 PM

My guess would be that they would pose no problem, since the sensors are looking for top movement, and as long as the strings move the top, then we are in business.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:12 PM

intersting.

One challenge could be, that titanium is a harder metal then what frets are made out of (nickle and steel most the time), so you may burn through frets faster, though if its only the core then this would not be true.

Also wonder how the tone is?????

Stephen
Old 03-04-2003, 08:54 PM

That is interesting, correct me if im wrong, but...

Since the string is made out of titanium woouldnt it put more stress on the bridge and tuners, because the pull of the string wont stretch out over the enitire string, but be placed on the bridge/tuners. On conventional strings they would have more leway and stretch, so it be distributed more evenly throughout the string and bridge/tuners. I guess if my little half-baked theory were correct it would be very rough on a floyd rose with tuning and the bending up of the pitch, since they are harder to stretch?! Prolly got it wrong though...

Taylor Big Baby 03'
Bc Rich NJ Warlock/Dimarzio Super Dist. 02'
Old 03-04-2003, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DVGuy
My guess would be that they would pose no problem, since the sensors are looking for top movement, and as long as the strings move the top, then we are in business.
My understanding is that there are three sensors. Two are tranducers that sense movement of the top and a magnetic pickup that resides in the the NT neck pocket under the strings. If the strings aren't magnetic, then it stands to reason you would lose some of the signal.

K14c Custom
http://home.earthlink.net/~jira/
Old 03-05-2003, 02:05 AM

I think the website says that the core creates less tension than steel,so there is less tension on the guitar.They make two tensins,low and medium.The medium-tension nickels exert about the same tension as a light gauge set of regular steel-core bronze strings.Seems like there was only one gauge listed--.0145.0155,.025,.033,.043,.052,as well as I remember.I've never tried nickel-wound acoustic strings,but Tony Rice plays nickels(D'Aquisto or something like that),so they evidently sound good.Course,he could make a piece of barbed wire sound good.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:26 AM

90% chance gimmick on the Ti's life. They might sound different if anything.

Fretwear would likely be more on the B, e strings cause they are not wound. Gunk is still gonna get into the windings because it's not coated. Ti would probably produce less pull due to it's heavier mass therefore less is needed to vibrate to produce same note. And steel string don't get higher in pitch or likely significantly increase in pull when they are old, just that they lose elasticity, you are not just pulling it tighter, you are pulling it because it's loosing elasticity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification