The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2003, 08:55 PM

Default Bill Frisell

Anybody familiar with jazz guitarist Bill Frisell? I just bought one of his CDs primarily because I liked the artwork. I'd never heard of the guy, which is pretty embarrassing because after reading his bio I find out he lives in Seattle.

Man! What a guitar monster this guy is! I'm gonna buy a bunch more of his music. Here's a link to the CD I just bought:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music
Old 02-28-2003, 09:44 PM

Bill is a phenomenal guitarist! He was on the cover of Acoustic Guitar not too long ago . . . (getting up to check the date) . . . ahh, here it is: May 2002. I heard an interview with him a while back, talking about a recording he was doing of "old-time" music. They played some clips from the record . . . sounded fantastic! Plus, he was a very interesting interview. I've been meaning to check out some of his stuff--just haven't gotten around to it yet.

BTW, that is pretty interesting artwork on that CD. Perhaps if I'd let one of my 4-year-old twins draw the cover for my CD, you'd own a copy of that, too!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 02-28-2003, 09:56 PM

Hey Jim: Did you listen to any of the samples on the Amazon page? He does a fantastic jazz arrangement of Moon River. Another one on the CD that I love (not available to hear on the Amazon samples) is an arrangement of the old mountain folk song Hard Times ("...oh hard times come again no more..."). Man, that cut is outstanding.
Old 03-01-2003, 12:35 PM

Yeah, Bill Frisell is great. I have 'Where in the World' and 'This Land'. Both are great albums. I would describe his style as "ambient jazz". I haven't heard any of his more recent stuff though. How many albums does he have out?
Old 03-01-2003, 01:41 PM
Eric Skye

A true Genre bender. Great humor, creativity, and beauty in his music. I particularly like the record Nashville. Good Dog, Happy Man being is a close second.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:17 AM

bill is great........acoustic guitar magazine did a feature on him a while back and that's how i found his music..

he also played on nora jone's cd....i noticed she mentioned him on the grammies...
Old 03-04-2003, 10:16 AM

Frisell is truly outstanding. He did some fine work on the "Finding Forrester" soundtrack, including a great rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." Likes to play his friend's vintage Gibson J-45.

"Give me ambiguity or give me something else."

Prior Friends: Martin D-15, Gibson J-45, Guild F-30R, Taylor 810 LTD, Martin SPD-16, Taylor 310, Fender D-22

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification