The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-28-2003, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by utah

Garth Brooks: Wakes up one day and thinks he is Chris Gaines.

This is where you're wrong. Those who have known Garth for more than two decades know that he really IS Chris Gaines. The character "Garth Brooks" is the alter ego. (My band in college -- at Oklahoma State -- beat a very Chris Gaines-like Garth Brooks in a battle of the bands in 1980 or 1981. He wasn't country even though country was cool back then. He did folk/rock. We did rock/R&B.)
Old 02-28-2003, 11:14 AM

Rod Stewart with "Do you think I'm sexy" . Since then its been hard to remember how good those first few albums were.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:41 PM

I see a little debate here developing over what the term "Jump the Shark" Means.

I'll use this as a definition. (From www.jumptheshark.com)

"It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached it's peak. That instant that you know, from now on...it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it JUMPING THE SHARK."

Which is why I used the Britney (slave to you) and Christina (dirty) videos as examples. Someone suggested that nobody listens to either artist. But...clearly that is not true. They have an audience...but, are those two sensational videos (from a skimpy and somewhat Slu**ty point of view)...the peaks for those two singers? Are their careers downhill from that point? I think so.

Which, is also why I suggested the Chris Gaines/Garth moment. Has Garth returned to his pre-Chris Gaines glory? I don't know. But...I did like the response that suggested that Chris Gaines IS the real Garth. Hmmmm.....reminds me of that song by Alan Jackson (Gone Country).

So....it appears that the definition of Jumping the Shark, that I have provided...does apply to much of what people have posted. At least from the standpoint that you can identify the moment when it was all downhill...for an artist/band.

Anyways...great suggestion for a thread. And some interesting responses.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:46 PM

Judging by that last post, this thread has just Jumped The Shark.

1997 914c
Ibanez AG 195
Ibanez Howard Roberts Artist 1976
Edwards E-LP 90 LTS
Van Zandt STV-R2 ('63 strat copy)
VS Strat
Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion III (Ebony/Gold)
Domingo Ortega 1a Rio (Cedar/Braz.)
Aria Sinsonido
Old 03-01-2003, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg
Judging by that last post, this thread has just Jumped The Shark.
LOL
Old 03-02-2003, 03:48 PM

haha....good one

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification