The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Default rosewood freatbaord- finished?

In general, is the average rosewood fretboard the dark color it is because of a stain, or is that the natural color of the wood?

I'm going to steel wool some oil based paint off of my fretboard, and I don't know if the spot I worked on will turn out lighter.

If so, what should I do to bring the color back (oil?)?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:36 AM

Default Color

The rosewood varieties vary greatly in color. You really won't know until you try to clean it.

I'd try the linoleum knife blade first. You'll probably want to do the entire FB so it matches. If there is residual staining, try the suggested 0000 steel wool. If a little work with the steel wool isn't getting it off, you may want to consider staining it with Fieblings or something similar.

Last edited by fumblefinger; 07-28-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 AM

To my (very limited) knowledge, rosewood fretboards are not normally stained. Along with the previous suggestion, you might try using a razor blade for scraping off that paint. Go lightly.
Good luck,
Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair