The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 02:15 PM

Default Which Mahogany Yamaha?

I want a decent mahogany dreadnaught, but which one? Yes, I do have two all solid Mahogany dreads, and I won’t go into why I am disappointed with them. I am over the moon with both of my Yamahas, so that is why I am looking in that direction. My quite limited budget ( times are tough and I’m barely getting by on a Social Security check). The three that I am looking at are the the FG-3, the FG-5 and the LL-16M. The FG-3 and the LL-16M are within my budget range and the FG-5 is within the realm of possibility, but it will take me twice as long to save up for it. The FG-3 can be easily(?) be upgraded to the specs of the FG-5. The Urea nut and saddle Change out to bone or Tusq should cost about $100, at least in this area it would. Yes, I know the FG-3 is made in China and that will affect the resale value, but I’m 76 years old. It is highly unlikely that I will outlive that guitar or any other guitar. I’m not all that happy about that one. The LL-16M has the same neck as my LL16-ARE. The laminated neck allows an action height of 3 1/2 64ths. I really, really like that. So, that’s the preponderance of the pluses and minuses that I’m looking at, what do you think? I would really appreciate some input on this.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
I want a decent mahogany dreadnaught, but which one? Yes, I do have two all solid Mahogany dreads, and I won’t go into why I am disappointed with them. I am over the moon with both of my Yamahas, so that is why I am looking in that direction. My quite limited budget ( times are tough and I’m barely getting by on a Social Security check). The three that I am looking at are the the FG-3, the FG-5 and the LL-16M. The FG-3 and the LL-16M are within my budget range and the FG-5 is within the realm of possibility, but it will take me twice as long to save up for it. The FG-3 can be easily(?) be upgraded to the specs of the FG-5. The Urea nut and saddle Change out to bone or Tusq should cost about $100, at least in this area it would. Yes, I know the FG-3 is made in China and that will affect the resale value, but I’m 76 years old. It is highly unlikely that I will outlive that guitar or any other guitar. I’m not all that happy about that one. The LL-16M has the same neck as my LL16-ARE. The laminated neck allows an action height of 3 1/2 64ths. I really, really like that. So, that’s the preponderance of the pluses and minuses that I’m looking at, what do you think? I would really appreciate some input on this.
Go for the LL16M. I owned one. It was one of the top 3 sounding guitars I've ever heard as for acoustic tone. I sold it [regrettably] because I wasn't head over heels with its plugged in tone. That aside, the ARE treatment, Engelmann spruce top and multi ply neck join forces to make one fine sounding and playing guitar.

The red labels are shorter scale, and while they sound good (I have an FGX5), the LL16M is way better sounding to my ears if you like more of a lively tone. The red labels have a more subdued tone. It's great, but that Engelmann on the LL is different.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:22 PM

Smile L-Series Yamaha...what to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Go for the LL16M. I owned one. It was one of the top 3 sounding guitars I've ever heard as for acoustic tone. I sold it [regrettably] because I wasn't head over heels with its plugged in tone. That aside, the ARE treatment, Engelmann spruce top and multi ply neck join forces to make one fine sounding and playing guitar.

The red labels are shorter scale, and while they sound good (I have an FGX5), the LL16M is way better sounding to my ears if you like more of a lively tone. The red labels have a more subdued tone. It's great, but that Engelmann on the LL is different.
Howdy, all! Been nosing around awhile, but this is my first time posting. I haven't played much in quite awhile, since the guitar I've had since 1977 needs some fairly expensive work...neck reset, etc. After lots of study and listening, I ordered a Yamaha LL16 back in May, which I'm still waiting to arrive from overseas. In the meantime I keep checking out other instruments that have caught my eye, especially the Yamaha LL16M & the LS16M. I'm beginning to think I might like the Mahogany better. And my hope-to-be-repaired-soon guitar (1975 S.L. Mossman 'Great Plains') is a monster B.R. Dread when playable. All that to say, anyone have thoughts regarding the LL and LS Yamaha Mahogany models? Is the LS too small to have a full sound? Thanks in advance for any and all input!
Old 08-11-2022, 05:48 PM

Talking

I played an fs3red label in my local shop a while ago. Can't remember the last time I had so much fun playing a guitar. Wonderful instrument.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:05 PM

I've owned an LL16M - sold it - this one was a quiet guitar - nothing impressive about it for me - word is the Engleman top is best suited for fingerstyle players whereas flatpickers prefer Sitka and session players prefer Adirondack. Recently I've acquired 2 Fg800 Yamahas and I am really impressed - I prefer them over any of the many Yamaha acoustic guitars I've owned - good luck with your search.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:12 PM

I had an LL-16. Rosewood version of L-16M. A great guitar for the money! I saw a used LL16M on GC website for $895. Ones with a decent case.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markybones777 View Post
Howdy, all! Been nosing around awhile, but this is my first time posting. I haven't played much in quite awhile, since the guitar I've had since 1977 needs some fairly expensive work...neck reset, etc. After lots of study and listening, I ordered a Yamaha LL16 back in May, which I'm still waiting to arrive from overseas. In the meantime I keep checking out other instruments that have caught my eye, especially the Yamaha LL16M & the LS16M. I'm beginning to think I might like the Mahogany better. And my hope-to-be-repaired-soon guitar (1975 S.L. Mossman 'Great Plains') is a monster B.R. Dread when playable. All that to say, anyone have thoughts regarding the LL and LS Yamaha Mahogany models? Is the LS too small to have a full sound? Thanks in advance for any and all input!
The LS lacks the amplitude of the bass of the LL. It does have a full sound, though -- just not that chest thumping bass.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion