The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Is this the sort of timbre you are thinking about? If so, then you should find something similar from any cheap archtop.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Is this the sort of timbre you are thinking about? If so, then you should find something similar from any cheap archtop.

Pretty close. Of course, the Folklore has more sustain; but the base of the tone in pretty similar.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 08-11-2022, 12:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Comb Filter

I’ve recently been thinking about how the interior of a guitar body might sometimes set up the conditions for comb filtering.

Here is an interesting Youtube that explains comb filtering and shows examples which I think have a nasal sound:

Delays of 1 to 2 micro seconds seem particularly nasally to me. I imagine that a flat bottom body interior, especially with a flat end block could reflect sound from the bridge area back towards the sound hole and create that type of delay and nasally sound.

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 08-12-2022, 01:24 PM

'Nasal' tone is often associated with a lack or weakness in the power of the fundamental of the note. Small or overbuilt guitars will often have a 'main air' resonance that is higher pitched or weaker than usual, and produce a more 'nasal' tone. Plucking close to the bridge also emphasizes the upper partials as compared with the fundamental.

Pipe organ makers sometimes use 'English bass' to produce a low pitched note. If they want a 32' C but the ceiling is only 24' high, they will make a rank of pipes at 16', 10-2/3', 8', and so on, and sound them together. This produces the harmonics above the 32' fundamental, and the ear 'hears' it as the 32' note, but with a nasal timbre. There is some discussion as to why this works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion