The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2022, 08:29 AM

Default fake nails

Hi guys ; two part question; what is the best way to get those fake nails off? also , how long do you think they will stay on? Just don't want one coming off during a gig. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi guys ; two part question; what is the best way to get those fake nails off? also , how long do you think they will stay on? Just don't want one coming off during a gig. Thanks.
Hi eyesore
Fake nails are the reason I'm still an all-flesh with hint of nails guy.

I've had to work with my hands (as in do my occupations) and glued on nails were not an option.

Starting at age 15 I started playing all-flesh and have continued it now till age 74yrs. It's a different 'sound' and attack, but both can be effective.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-10-2022, 09:47 AM

Lots of prior posts here on AGF about fake nails. I think the real question is how long until you get an infection or other problem with your natural nails.

Nevertheless, if you're insistent on doing it here's the way to get them off (acetone): https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Acrylic-Nails
Old 08-10-2022, 10:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I think the real question is how long until you get an infection or other problem with your natural nails.
I've had acrylic nails applied for over twenty-five years. In that time I've had exactly ONE infection in ONE nail.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-10-2022, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've had acrylic nails applied for over twenty-five years. In that time I've had exactly ONE infection in ONE nail.

Bob
I also assume the OP is talking about acrylics, not some kind of stick-on nail.

Also at least 25 years, nonstop. Zero infections, or any other issue, for that matter. I've never had one come off on a gig - I have had one come off a few times just doing stuff around the house. That tended to happen more early on (25 years ago), until I sort of adjusted to having them on. Without updating them, they stay on until the nail grows out. I generally have a "fill" done every 4 weeks or so. I just went about 10 weeks where I couldn't get to the salon, and they were still fine.

As far as taking them off, the main question I'd have is why? They're an essential tool for me, I never take them off. But if you need to, soaking for a few minutes in nail remover (basically acetone), then slipping a plastic fake nail (or even something like a business card) under the nail, and they generally come right off. That's what my nail tech does in the event he wants to do a complete replace instead of just a fill.

There are alternatives. During the pandemic when all the salon's were closed, I tried TipTonics, which are a stick-on nail. They sound good, and it's a well-thought-out product, but you just put them on when you play, which I found annoying. I may pick up a guitar a hundred times a day, I'm not going to say, wait, I have to sit down and stick my nails on first. They also did tend to come off, some times when playing, but more often, just around the house when I tried to just leave them on. I have a you tube video that I think is still up where I demo'd the TipTonics.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Bob
Anecdotal evidence but congratulations on your luck. Unfortunately I know a lot of wearers who haven't been so lucky (including some who have posted their experiences on this very site).

"Fungal infections are a relatively common complication of getting acrylic nails, which are plastic nails that are glued atop your real fingernails. In most cases, these infections aren’t serious and clear up with home remedies or with antifungal medications."

^^from https://www.healthline.com/health/fi...-acrylic-nails

Plus there's other issues too https://steptohealth.com/dangers-using-acrylic-nails/

You were given natural nails for a reason. You don't need super long nails to fingerpick and the risks...at least for this guitar player...just isn't worth it. But, of course, it's up to the individual. I'm just making people aware that they're not completely safe...at all.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
"Fungal infections are a relatively common complication of getting acrylic nails, which are plastic nails that are glued atop your real fingernails.
Gently, now: Acrylic nails aren't plastic nails glued on top of you real nails. They are a combination of resin and microbeads that is mixed on the spot and applied in liquid form on top of your nail. It cures and dries as a hard coating. The smell is just like what you smell when you are building a fiberglass canoe, by the way. My acrylics are only as long as my real nails unless I break a real nail.

Bob

Old 08-10-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Gently, now: Acrylic nails aren't plastic nails glued on top of you real nails. They are a combination of resin and microbeads that is mixed on the spot and applied in liquid form on top of your nail. It cures and dries as a hard coating. The smell is just like what you smell when you are building a fiberglass canoe, by the way. My acrylics are only as long as my real nails unless I break a real nail.

Bob
Technically an "acrylic nail" can be of either type. I quoted the article and provided a link. Not much more I can or want to do in addressing this topic. I've said all I felt the need to at this point. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2022, 06:22 PM

I guess I don't know what i have as far as "fake nails" go. I thought they were all acrylike ? I bought these at the drug store down the street.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I'd call those "plastic" nails, tho of course that's a generic term. Who knows what material the "plastic" is.... So you glued or stuck them on with tape? If you superglued them, then same thing, acetone takes off superglue. If they're taped on, you probably just pull them off. My guess, based on trying those many years ago, is that they don't work all that well, nothing like having professionally-applied acrylics. I may be wrong, in no small part because I don't know what you actually have, but those drug store nails seem to be for looks, not made to stand up to the stress of a steel guitar string.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:52 PM

I had them for several years, and liked them. Like Doug I went every 4 weeks or so for a re-application. I eventually stopped when we bought this house, I had a bunch of updating work to do here and I was constantly chipping and breaking them so it just wasn't worth it at that time. Might go back to them again someday. Never had an infection.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'd call those "plastic" nails, tho of course that's a generic term. Who knows what material the "plastic" is.... So you glued or stuck them on with tape? If you superglued them, then same thing, acetone takes off superglue. If they're taped on, you probably just pull them off. My guess, based on trying those many years ago, is that they don't work all that well, nothing like having professionally-applied acrylics. I may be wrong, in no small part because I don't know what you actually have, but those drug store nails seem to be for looks, not made to stand up to the stress of a steel guitar string.
yes sir Doug i glued them on ... anyway I never really thought about it,but I think I will see a nail salon.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yeah I had a thread about artificial nails purchased at a local drug store last week. I just applied one to fix a broken ring finger nail, but the tone was not good. It also fell of the next day when I went swimming - apparently salt water dissolves cyanoacrylate.

I ended up going to a salon to put a tip on the broken nail and do the rest for good measure. Gonna stick with that setup for a while, then go back to natural. I like to take breaks - seems to help with nail health.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
yes sir Doug i glued them on ... anyway I never really thought about it,but I think I will see a nail salon.
They can surely help you take them off. If you are planning to have real acrylics put on, a few suggestions:

It feels awkward, since the place may be full of women getting their nails done. Tell them you're a guitar player - they may know what that means. They may not, but when I've gone to new places, they often say "oh, yeah, there's another guy who comes in for that". if they look at you blankly, oh well. Explain it.

You of course only want one hand. I just do 3 fingers and thumb.

I ask for them to be thicker that what they normally do, tho that's kind of a tone question. I like the tone of a thick pick.

They usually want to make them longer than I need, which is fine, since I'll shape them when I get home, and longer gives me more to work with. They tend to be a bit rough - the salon doesn't understand the glass-smooth you need for a non-scratchy tone, they just want them to look good. So a bit of fine sanding and polish is also needed when you get home. I use various fine-grit sandpapers, like 2000-4000 grit. And of course they have no idea about the right shape for guitar, they want to make them nice and round - so again, you want to have some extra length to allow for shaping.

There are a few types of acrylics, some are clearer, some are whiter/cloudier. I've preferred the clearer, since they look more natural, tho my guy just used the white stuff when I went a few days ago. I didn't notice until is was too late. Not a big deal, I'll mention it upfront next time.

You can skip the nail polish :-) But they often want to put a clear top-coat on, and those can be shiny or matte. The top coat does add another layer of thickness and protection, so I usually let them do it, but I ask for matte, so I look a bit less "glamorous" :-)

This all sounds like a lot, but it's just a few things to know, the whole thing takes maybe 15 minutes. and nothing's permanent, you can always take them off and try (or not) again.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Adding to Doug's narrative with my own experience:

The tech I've used for twenty-five years uses slightly pink acrylic micro-beads. That makes them blend into the quick slightly better.

The first time can be awkward. My wife was the one who suggested I go. In fact she dragged me down to her salon and introduced me to her tech. That really helped. By the way, my tech is a man and the owner of the salon. He is married with kids. he likes to talk politics to me while he works(!).

Yes it can be a little awkward when there are ladies present. I just make a point of showing my left hand, with wedding ring, and I tell the ladies what the acrylics are for.

Yes, we go with thicker acrylic application because a thinner layer doesn't last and it sounds pingy.

We don't use nail polish. He just applies a little fine polishing paste and hits it with a buffing wheel and it has approximately the same dull look as my other nails.

During lock-down I purchased a kit and did it myself. It was awkward and my work wasn't nearly as good as his. It certainly showed me why I pay him to do the job!

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion