The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-06-2022, 01:01 PM

Besides a quality kibble, our 3 get fresh bones from the butcher, veggies, turkey necks and some good training treats. They are spoiled and in terrific shape just like dogs should be.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 08-06-2022, 02:35 PM

We used Blue Buffalo Wilderness (large breed), when my wife wasn't spoiling the princess with home cooking... LOL
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 08-06-2022, 04:58 PM

We have used the same locally produced dried kibble for the last 20 years. It is a premium balanced food, on par with Hills etc, which means they need less and foul less which leaves room for sensible treats.

The last dog to leave us was a Greyhound, Ozzy, age 15. Before him was Treacle, German Shepherd/Border Collie cross who reached the grand old age of 17. Our two oldies now are Dylan the Border Terrier currently going strong at 14 and Millie the Patterdale terrier who has just had her 16th birthday. Millie was at the vets this week for her annual jabs and the vet said how wonderful it is to see a dog of her age in such great condition.

A dog's sense of smell is way above ours but their sense of taste is very low. They will eat and enjoy the same food over and over so as long as they get a quality diet, it doesn't have to be as varied as ours.

YouTube
Old 08-11-2022, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Our ten (?) year old beagle gets Hills Science diet (Metabolic) dry food and the three-year old Rez heeler gets Taste of the Wild dry food. They are both on carprofen for long-lasting injuries, so we put a teaspoon of Taste of the Wild wet food or peanut butter on top of the pill to disguise it.

The beagle's life-long motto has been "Let me judge if it it fit to eat!" She has taught the Rez heeler how to raid our garden for tomatoes, blackberries, zucchini and is constantly trying to get into my hiking gear for uneaten CliffBars, trail mix, and other human "treats".

We eat everything on our plates at meals, so there are no leftover table scraps. However, the dogs to get to lick the plates clean before they go into the dishwasher.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 8.01.53 AM.jpg (39.1 KB, 88 views)
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 08-12-2022, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Taste of the Wild dry food.
I've read good reviews about that food.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 08-12-2022, 08:20 AM

I still think road kill, deer plus skunk poop and an occasional rotting dead fish should be considered. Occasional bunny and woodchuck for treats. What dog wouldn't love it? It would be a far more natural dog diet and economical.

Old 08-21-2022, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

There's a website called Dog Food Advisor that I've been relying on for dog food choices for well over a decade. I stick to the five star list and my dogs have been healthy and happy.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-22-2022, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
There's a website called Dog Food Advisor that I've been relying on for dog food choices for well over a decade. I stick to the five star list and my dogs have been healthy and happy.
No disrespect, but I think Dogfood advisor is essentially a blog. Check https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Why-You-...g-Food-Advisor

I’ve been trying to figure out the best food to feed my animals for decades and got lost in the many conflicting opinions until I got a headache. I joyfully found Dogfood advisor and followed their recommendations for a long time. Most recently my 3-year old Labrador started to develop seizures and this eventually led me to neurologists at Tufts Veterinarian Clinic where nutrition came up as an important topic. When I told them I was feeding our dog a 5 star Dogfood Advisor rated dog food they said - stop. To make a long story short — Based on their research, the Veterinarian nutritionists strongly recommend using food from companies that have dietary nutritionists on staff. Specifically, they recommended Hills, Purina, Royal Canin as examples.

Tufts readily acknowledged that much is unknown, but this led me back to Hills Science.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
No disrespect, but I think Dogfood advisor is essentially a blog. Check https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Why-You-...g-Food-Advisor
The criticism relies pretty heavily on the views of the World Small Animal Veterinary Association which is primarily funded by Purina, which makes fairly terrible dog food. The quality of Purina aside, the fact that the WSAVA is funded by dog food companies is enough to make anything they say suspect.

I can't tell you if the five-star lists on DFA are perfect, but I do know that over the course of the last 20 years, I've used that list to guide my choices and my dogs have lived pretty long lives. I attribute that in large part to good food because not much else I do is different from what anyone else does other than I'm willing to seek out superior food for them.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-22-2022, 10:47 AM

Here's a fascinating read about GMO's in dog food from Gentle Giants dog food, and Robin.

I'm still feeding the Gentle Giants.

https://www.gentlegiantsdogfood.com/...-dog-food.html

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 08-22-2022, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

I’m an upland bird hunter and my current dog, Maggie Mae, is the 7th Brittany I’ve had. She, as with the previous 6, will eat anything. They’ve all followed the same pattern. If it’s too foul to eat…roll in it!

While out hunting once with my old girl Katie I spotted her eating something. When I got to her I pulled the hind legs and rear torso of a jackrabbit out of her throat. I have no idea where the front half ended up.

Before I had my first Britt I had a German Shorthair named Doobie (the cat’s name was roach, go figure). My wife had baked 2 dozen chocolate cupcakes for our daughter’s Girl Scout cake sale and put them on top of the refrigerator while we went shopping. We got home to find 2 empty cupcake pans and a very bloated dog. She looked uncomfortable but quite proud of herself. She had to have jumped up on the kitchen counter to reach the top of the fridge. The cupcake liners were the foil type. For a week it was easy spot where she pooped. Just had to turn on the porch light at night and look for the shiny spots in the yard!

We feed Maggie the food the breeder recommended, Purina ProPlan All age Performance Diet. She must like it as it only takes her about 30 seconds to inhale a bowl full.

I hope this isn’t a forum issue. Please meet Maggie Mae.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:48 PM

We’ve had 7 pups over 35 years, all rescues, save one. 2 Brittany Spaniels, 1 Retriever, 2 Heinz 57s and 2 Aussies (usually 3 at a time). All have lived 15-17 years on Purina supplemented with chicken, rice and lots of exercise. When the Mrs. goes to sleep we enjoy peanuts and beer. I think exercise, love, socialization and companionship are ingredients equally as important as the pet food they consume.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Our 2 mini schnauzers were getting Blue Buffalo Wilderness, but we switched to Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula for a while. We think they were getting bored with the other flavors plus the small breed versions are readily available. Our younger mini is getting un-mini (21 lbs) so we have to reduce her intake a bit.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic