The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: The "best" maple acoustic guitar is. . .
Gibson J200 29 22.83%
Gibson Dove 10 7.87%
Gibson J185 14 11.02%
Taylor 6xx Series 17 13.39%
other 57 44.88%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2022, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

John Slobod (Circa) works magic with maple.
But, this one is not so bad either: https://www.guitargal.com/products/t...n-maple-guitar
Oh, my...the sound of champagne evaporating.

David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 08-09-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Well, seeing as I just ordered one.

I'm gonna say Custom Shop SJ-200
Old 08-09-2022, 02:34 PM
Runaway Tomato

J-200 all day every day . . .
Former AGF Moderator
Old 08-09-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFox View Post
NO Builder does Maple Better than Santa Cruz Guitar Company.... No. Body.
IMHO.

John Greven will give SCGC a run for their money and THEN some.

John Denver and Mary Chapin Carpenter would/will attest...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 08-09-2022, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
John Greven will give SCGC a run for their money and THEN some.

John Denver and Mary Chapin Carpenter would/will attest...

duff
That SJ Greven MCC has is a very special guitar...and it doesn't hurt that she plays it in some very unique alt. tunings. One of my favorites...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-09-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
That SJ Greven MCC has is a very special guitar...and it doesn't hurt that she plays it in some very unique alt. tunings. One of my favorites...
That was beautiful - thanks for posting.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-09-2022, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
That was beautiful - thanks for posting.
You're welcome Bruce!

Old 08-10-2022, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
That's a great clip, and there's one thing that surprises me, the guitar is mic'd with what looks to be an sm58 dynamic mic, where if going dynamic, one would prefer an sm57.

That could also explain the uninspiring bass presence in the recording, or of course the guitar might not offer so much bass response.

To answer the OP, the best maple b&s guitar I've heard and played was a 2018 froggy bottom S size. That tiny guitar offered up killer bass and singing treble notes. I played it a/b against a Taylor om that quite failed to impress, pretty much sounded like a Taylor.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post
That's a great clip, and there's one thing that surprises me, the guitar is mic'd with what looks to be an sm58 dynamic mic, where if going dynamic, one would prefer an sm57.

That could also explain the uninspiring bass presence in the recording, or of course the guitar might not offer so much bass response.

To answer the OP, the best maple b&s guitar I've heard and played was a 2018 froggy bottom S size. That tiny guitar offered up killer bass and singing treble notes. I played it a/b against a Taylor om that quite failed to impress, pretty much sounded like a Taylor.
Sorry to say I wouldn't know the difference but that clip was recorded at Paste Studio's (I believe) so maybe that's the sound they were going for...I don't know?

Old 08-10-2022, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Smile Other

Jamming with MW, at B.I.G. #1 three years ago, I played Michael Watts big Maple/Adi Kostal. Yow!

He played my big John Kinnaird WRC/Maple

Build thread here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=491678

We were both stoked.

IMO, it will be a rare factory instrument that can match what a master single Luthier can provide….

But deep pockets are necessary to pay the Luthiers. Worth it to me

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-10-2022, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Jamming with MW, at B.I.G. #1 three years ago, I played Michael Watts big Maple/Adi Kostal. Yow!

He played my big John Kinnaird WRC/Maple

Build thread here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=491678

We were both stoked.

IMO, it will be a rare factory instrument that can match what a master single Luthier can provide….

But deep pockets are necessary to pay the Luthiers. Worth it to me

Paul
I enjoyed Michael’s guitar as well. This guitar made an appearance at BIG.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:07 AM

I probably don't have enough experience with higher end acoustic guitars to have an informed opinion on much of what is being discussed so far.

For the sake of those who live and work lower in price ranges I'd look to Guild, which the OP doesn't have on their list, even though when I think of maple backs I think of the arched maple backs on some classic Guild designs along with the Gibson jumbos. I've certainly heard nice playing and recordings using those two, and I like my US Guild JF30-12.

I think the Guilds backs are usually laminated maple, which leaves out those for whom laminated is a swear word. On the other hand, the maple-ish guitar I've personally played the most hours on is a modest Seagull with a solid cedar top with their customary wild cherry (and maple, I've heard) laminate.

Hope the OP enjoys their search.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 08-10-2022 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie-f View Post

If you watch, as you listen, you can see/hear that Mary is intentionally playing to keep the bass in the background relative to the mid and treble strings. If you listen to a bunch of her epic "Songs From Home" Youtube series during the height of the Covid pandemic, you can hear the power of this guitars bass when she wants to bring it forward...but...she tends to use the bass, especially the low E string very very judiciously on most of her songs. That particular guitar has a very firm, medium deep bass that is very warm, deftly resonant, and present, but not big, round, and boomy...very much Gibsonesque...in a good way...from a J-185 body style, which is what John patterned this model of his after.

From a technique standpoint, MCC is quite remarkable, for a singer/songwriter, in her skill and command of very nuanced control of her tone, timbre, and dynamics both strumming and fingerpicking...and that Greven guitar is very equally adept at exceptional response to her command and control.

I have personally played the OOOOM...John calls it a OOOOF model...guitar that he made for John Denver, back in 1982. It is a truly fabulous sounding guitar...very very smooth, warm, and deep sounding, with a really firm and deep bass.

If you go to SoundCloud at look up John Greven or Greven Guitars, and listen to the soundclip of the OOOOF, that is me playing a song that I composed on John Denver's former Greven guitar. It was such a delight to play. Unfortunately, when they transferred the sound file over to SoundCloud, it created a little distortion in the file, but you can still get a really good idea of how really really nice that guitar sounds. It is/was one of the "playing" highlights of my life, being a HUGE JD fan, to get to hold and play that guitar over a few days time at John Greven's house.

duff
Old 08-10-2022, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I probably don't have enough experience with higher end acoustic guitars to have an informed opinion on much of what is being discussed so far.

For the sake of those who live and work lower in price ranges I'd look to Guild, which the OP doesn't have on their list, even though when I think of maple backs I think of the arched maple backs on some classic Guild designs along with the Gibson jumbos. I've certainly heard nice playing and recordings using those two, and I like my US Guild JF30-12.

I think the Guilds backs are usually laminated maple, which leaves out those for whom laminated is a swear word. On the other hand, the maple-ish guitar I've personally played the most hours on is a modest Seagull with a solid cedar top with their customary wild cherry (and maple, I've heard) laminate.

Hope the OP enjoys their search.
heya Frank, yes you are correct on the seagull...most of the sub-brands of Godin going back to the original Normans including simon & patrick/seagull and norman that have a laminated back and sides are a sandwich of the primary facing woods with maple as the sandwich, making for a very strong and durable laminate regardless of the facing wood used. not sure about the Art and Lutherie line though, but all my simon & patricks/normans/seagulls are the sandwich laminate in those instances where they weren't solid (ami's) as far as I know anyways.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 08-10-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
heya Frank, yes you are correct on the seagull...most of the sub-brands of Godin going back to the original Normans including simon & patrick/seagull and norman that have a laminated back and sides are a sandwich of the primary facing woods with maple as the sandwich
Meaning my modest Seagull Performer has laminate B&S that are solid maple

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion