The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 06:20 PM

Default Gibson L00 studio ?

Looking for a 00 side fingerstyle blues guitar. Wondering how this stacks up to say an Eastman E1000 or a Martin 00-17s( whiskey sunset)
Old 08-12-2022, 02:57 AM

In my opinion the best fingerstyle is some version of Martin 00 12 fret. That said I’ve recently played:

Eastman E20 OO - amazing, had everything I wanted. It was ordered in for me but I bought a J45 instead.

5 Gibson L-00s
(1) Gibson L-00 Standard - very unimpressive, no life, not even that dry boxy sound.
(2) Gibson L-00 Standard - very nice, well made, sounded great, would have bought.
(3) Gibson L-00 Original - okay sound, wasn’t impressed by the build quality
(4) Gibson L-00 Deluxe Rosewood - ok build quality, okay sound, neck felt thin for some reason
(5) Gibson L-00 Studio Walnut - sounded great (but not as good as the standard mentioned above), best build quality of the lot, best neck.

Blueridge BR-341 - very light build, great sound, reasonable quality, didn’t have the magic of the Eastman mentioned above. I’ve owned one of these in the past but I made the mistake of playing the same model in a store that was so much better than mine I ended up having to sell it.

I own a Sigma 00R-28VS. I love this guitar. Doesn’t sound as good as the Eastman but it has some undefinable magic. It has a laminate back and sides but Sigma make a number of 00 all solid models that I’d suggest checking out.
Old 08-12-2022, 02:16 PM

I have not tried a L-00 studio nor have I played an Eastman 00. But I really like my L-00 standard. It is a 2022 model so it is brand new. I had a bone nut and saddle installed. It needs to be opened up with play time so I have been playing it a good bit. Mine sounds good as is, but I know with play and time it will get better. Also, I have found that mine responds to fresh strings and a slightly less heavy pick to get the best out of it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion