The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-19-2018, 06:16 PM

Default POSTING IMAGES

For years I had no trouble posting images here. Now, when I copy the url on flickr or photo bucket and post it in, instead of the photo only a link shows up in my post. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I must have forgotten something. Thanks for help.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 03-19-2018, 06:28 PM

Just a guess, But if you haven't paid Photobucket the hundreds of dollars they wanted to host 3rd party photos, they could be blocking access from another site except by link. They may have removed or altered the direct links to prevent it.

Haven't been there since I emptied my account and moved to Imgur so I'm not positive about their changes.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Just a guess, But if you haven't paid Photobucket the hundreds of dollars they wanted to host 3rd party photos, they could be blocking access from another site except by link. They may have removed or altered the direct links to prevent it.

Haven't been there since I emptied my account and moved to Imgur so I'm not positive about their changes.
I did the same thing, moved to Imgur once Photobucket added restrictions to posting pics. No problems with Imgur.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:37 PM

Thanks, Harry and Dru. I didn't even know they'd done that, since I delete all their emails. I'll switch over to Imgur.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 03-20-2018, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Doubt it's that. I'm still using the free Photobucket, and I have no problem posting images from there to this forum and others.

I really don't know where the urban-myth came from that you have to pay money to PB to use hosted pics on third-party sites.

Here's how I do it:-

1) Locate the photo in my Photobucket library
2) Select and copy the 'Direct' link to the right of the pic
3) In my AGF post, click on the 'post image' button ('mountains, sky and sun')
4) in the pop-up box, paste the link I copied in Photobucket
5) Check that 'https://' only appears once after the IMG reference at the beginning of the link, delete one of them if it's in there twice (sometimes happens!).
6) check that IMG appears at the beginning and /IMG at the end, both enclosed in square brackets.
7) Hit the go button.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it soon becomes second nature, and takes not very long at all. Here's one I made earlier today... http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...8&postcount=17

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 03-20-2018, 06:48 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Doubt it's that. I'm still using the free Photobucket, and I have no problem posting images from there to this forum and others.

I really don't know where the urban-myth came from that you have to pay money to PB to use hosted pics on third-party sites.
No myth. They just haven't caught up with you yet.

Seriously, that's the answer. The fact that yours still works is a glitch. Have you not seen all the "upgrade" images Photobucket inserts where user photos would have previously been?

I've received emails from them telling me as much, and the terms of use page has it all stated very clearly, and in bold type.

http://photobucket.com/terms

Free account: Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If you are interested in image linking and/or 3rd party image hosting, you will need to subscribe to one of our Plus Accounts described below. Free account Members can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Here's how I do it:-

1) Locate the photo in my Photobucket library
2) Select and copy the 'Direct' link to the right of the pic
3) In my AGF post, click on the 'post image' button ('mountains, sky and sun')
4) in the pop-up box, paste the link I copied in Photobucket
5) Check that 'https://' only appears once after the IMG reference at the beginning of the link, delete one of them if it's in there twice (sometimes happens!).
6) check that IMG appears at the beginning and /IMG at the end, both enclosed in square brackets.
7) Hit the go button.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it soon becomes second nature, and takes not very long at all. Here's one I made earlier today... http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...8&postcount=17

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
The "urban myth" came from emails from Photobucket itself telling me and other users that they would no longer allow 3rd party hosting of our photos unless we paid them between $400 and $1500 a year for the service. This was accompanied by all photos we had posted over the years on this and other forums to be replaced by an icon stating they don't allow third party hosting unless the account is upgraded.

The resulting mass exodus of accounts from Photobucket to a different service may have caused them to relent a bit on their remaining accounts. But, they have clearly demonstrated their willingness to block hosted images going back years and those who experienced that have ZERO trust in the service now.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 AM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=504131
Old 03-20-2018, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Nope, haven't seen any of that, my PB looks exactly as it's always done! Don't anybody tell them about me!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Nope, haven't seen any of that, my PB looks exactly as it's always done! Don't anybody tell them about me!
I think you're the last one. I do not know anyone else who can still use free Photobucket to post photos. Mine still show up because I was on the $10/year ad-free plan. I got an email that said I could do third party hosting until that expired, this June I think. I have not deleted my account because the links I have posted still work. However, I started my own website to end this nonsense forever. I pay the bill and now I'm in control my photos.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I'm still using the free Photobucket, and I have no problem posting images from there to this forum and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
No myth. They just haven't caught up with you yet.

Seriously, that's the answer. The fact that yours still works is a glitch. Have you not seen all the "upgrade" images Photobucket inserts where user photos would have previously been?

I've received emails from them telling me as much, and the terms of use page has it all stated very clearly, and in bold type.

http://photobucket.com/terms

Free account: Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If you are interested in image linking and/or 3rd party image hosting, you will need to subscribe to one of our Plus Accounts described below. Free account Members can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
This thread reminded me that back in 2015, I actually signed up with photobucket--solely because I wanted to respond to a Fatstrat post in an AGF thread over at Sacrilege!--my reply is post #19, by the way.

My whole idea was to provide a photoshop-enhanced example of a photograph Fatstrat had posted. So I quickly signed up with photobucket and uploaded Fatstrat's picture from post #1 in the AGF thread; after that, I used photoshop to improve his image (subjective evaluation, of course), and then transferred that edited photo to photobucket, as well. Needless to report, at present I remain well under the 2 GB maximum photobucket affords to free accounts.

If you jump on over to that post #19 of mine, you'll note that Fatstrat's original photobucket image no longer exists due to rather recent photobucket restrictions, but my year 2015 photobucket photograph is still alive and kicking.

Possible explanations why my photobucket images remain viable: (1) Perhaps photobucket grandfathers in free accounts, still under the 2 GB maximum, continuing to allow such participants free access to third-party image hosting; (2) maybe photobucket tolerates a minimal quantity of bandwidth utilized, administering penalties only when users surpass a predetermined threshold; (3) photobucket has yet to discover my account, and eliminate its current image-linking functionality.

Would be interesting to learn if folks who recently (within the past year) signed up for a photobucket free account can post images here at AGF.

But, anyhow. Here are the two photobucket-hosted images in question. The first is my photoshop-edited example; below that is Fatstrat's original photograph (which no longer exists in the AGF thread):

Edit on 6-18-2019: Fatstrat's original image is now there, in posts #1 and #19 at the Sacrilege! thread linked in my text, above. When I wrote the above message on 3-20-2018, Fatstrat's image had vanished from his thread.

Last edited by Inyo; 06-18-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

That's very interesting. I only have a small number of photos in my PB library, just the ones I've wanted to post here and on the UMGF at various times. I wonder if they haven't bothered with me because my account is so small?

I've used the Tapatalk app once or twice to post photos direct from my computer, but I hate the disorganised clunkiness of the app so much I just can't be bothered with it, so I prefer to use the website and post photos from PB. If PB goes belly-up, I guess I'll have to move to Imgur, but I've taken a look at it and dislike it intensely, at first sight it seems ridiculously complicated.

Question - am I right in thinking that I have to make my photos in Imgur 'Public' in order to be able to use them to post here or elsewhere. That's something I really don't want to do.

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 03-20-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
That's very interesting. I only have a small number of photos in my PB library, just the ones I've wanted to post here and on the UMGF at various times. I wonder if they haven't bothered with me because my account is so small?

I've used the Tapatalk app once or twice to post photos direct from my computer, but I hate the disorganised clunkiness of the app so much I just can't be bothered with it, so I prefer to use the website and post photos from PB. If PB goes belly-up, I guess I'll have to move to Imgur, but I've taken a look at it and dislike it intensely, at first sight it seems ridiculously complicated.

Question - am I right in thinking that I have to make my photos in Imgur 'Public' in order to be able to use them to post here or elsewhere. That's something I really don't want to do.
No, you can select "private" and still post.

Being in the UK, they may have different rules that apply to you or they may have to go through a longer process to enforce their fee structure.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
No, you can select "private" and still post.

Being in the UK, they may have different rules that apply to you or they may have to go through a longer process to enforce their fee structure.
Thanks HHP, both responses! I'll have a closer look at Imgur, in case PB decide to get tough with me! Is there an easy way to copy my PB photos across to Imgur?

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 03-20-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks HHP, both responses! I'll have a closer look at Imgur, in case PB decide to get tough with me! Is there an easy way to copy my PB photos across to Imgur?
I just saved them to my desktop, deleted them from PB, and re-loaded those I needed on Imgur. Whole effort probably took less than an hour.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic