The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Default Sycamore Mandolin

Andy Mueller with the Sycamore Mandolin that he built using wood that I harvested . He was able to do even the neck with Sycamore . He brought it to the Artisan Guitar Show this weekend and I was fortunate enough to see and hear the results using a wood that I have not known of in a Mandolin .
Muleskinner Mandolins is his brand and he does fine work . I just needed to plug Andy .
Old 04-15-2019, 04:00 PM

I'm not a luthier, but I burn wood in my home for heating. I've cut and split a lot of maple and sycamore. They are similar in density and hardness and both burn great. But maple's grain is way easier to split.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:16 PM

Splitting sycamore is like trying to split a Brillo pad .
Sycamore burns great . Very little ash and what you do end up with is almost pure white .
From what I heard , sycamore has great potential as a Mandolin wood . After all , European Sycamore is a Maple , so it seems like a natural match . Sure would love to see and hear an archtop built with it .
This particular Sycamore had just a bit of spalting in it . Nothing that would affect structural integrity , but just a touch . Very strong medullary rays .
Old 04-19-2019, 04:08 AM

Very cool.

There was a guy up here in Southcentral Alaska who built mandolins from locally sourced birch and spruce, and his mandolins sounded quite good. I’ve never heard of anyone building mandolins from sycamore, but more power to him.

whm
Old 04-19-2019, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Andy is one of the builders at Froggy Bottom guitars. I’ve played some of his mandolins at the mandolin festival in Concord, NH. He’s a great musician, and I think that really brings a lot to the table.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:17 PM

Any sound clips available...?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments