The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 10:24 PM

Default 2 Small guitar questions

I seek a small* bodied guitar without that tinny sound (too much treble, not enough bass).

Serious questions (please answer):
1) Which topwood would likely give me more bass & less treble?

2) Which make** of small* guitar ($800 or less) would likely give me more bass & less treble?

* "small" = 0 or 00, NOT 3/4
** Never mind Taylor GS-Mini. I already have 1.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Silly question (ignore as you wish):
3) If I want to use bar chords instead of barre chords, would that only apply when playing guitar in a saloon?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:24 PM
Guest 728

One problem is that inexpensive guitars often sound kind of anemic, no matter the size. So when you combine that with a small body, you can almost guarantee a thinner tone. So try to look at and play a mahogany or sapele top if you can. I've found those guitars to be, on the whole, a little darker than their spruce-topped counterparts. Going to an 00 size can't hurt, either.

I haven't played any of these, but they are all parlor (0) size, they all have mahogany tops, and are all within your budget: Breedlove Pursuit, Fender PM2, Ibanez AVN50PN, Teton STP103NT. 00-size mahogany tops include the Epiphone EL-00 Pro and Washburn WF19S.

Buying used will open up more possibilities (Eastman, Martin, etc). Best of luck in your search!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:53 PM

For my money, the Larrivee parlor for sale here on the forum is the best option in that price range. I don't know that particular one, but it looks great, and I owned one I loved for many years. Mine was sold to help pay for my Santa Cruz PJ - a much more expensive instrument. Big fan of the Larrivee parlors and think you can't go wrong with one.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:21 AM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
For my money, the Larrivee parlor for sale here on the forum is the best option in that price range.
Yes -- and that is a great deal, too.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:36 AM

As Willie pointed out already, a small and inexpensive guitar is not going to have serious bass. Don't worry about the woods used on the back and sides since on an inexpensive guitar they will be plywood (the manufacturer will use a word such as 'layered' or perhaps just say something like rosewood or mahogany or maple without the word 'solid' coming in front of the name of the wood they say is on the back and sides. Your best option to get some strong bass on a small and inexpensive guitar is to buy one with an electronic pickup built into it and then get an amp that will allow you to crank up the bass on it. Buy an amp with the biggest speakers you can afford since big speakers give you better bass than little speakers.
Member #12

Acoustics:
1995 Taylor 510
1997 Taylor Custom Shop 14 size
1998 Taylor K-65 12 string
1998 Larrivee C-10E with Mucha Lady IR/Sitka

Electrics:
1999 PRS Custom 22 Artist Package - Whale Blue/Ebony
1995 Fender Custom Shop 1960 Strat - Dakota/Maple
1997 Fender California Series Fat Strat - CAR/Maple
1968 Teisco e-110 Sunburst/Maple
Old 12-12-2018, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

I second Larrivee parlors,and they make only solid wood guitars no plys or layered wood.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Might consider an Eastman 00
Old 12-12-2018, 05:50 AM

Have a Larrivee parlor. This guitar never fails to put a smile on my face. Simply, Wow!
Old 12-12-2018, 07:01 AM

12 fret 00 will give the most bass. a Recording King Shoenberg 00 RP-626 non cutaway fits the price and all you could possibly be looking for. I believe the top is engleman but Sitka would provide nice bass as well.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdotcom View Post
12 fret 00 will give the most bass. a Recording King Shoenberg 00 RP-626 non cutaway fits the price and all you could possibly be looking for. I believe the top is engleman but Sitka would provide nice bass as well.
+1....and +1 for Larrivee 00. I have both.

I also have a Recording King RP-10, which is an all solid (spruce over mahogany) single 0 that has very nice bass response. However the Larrivee and RP - 626 builds are better.

Overall I'd go for the Larrivee - a LOT of guitar for the money.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:34 AM

Here you go, and one penny under your budget!

I have the PM-2, but this one has more: Slotted head, burst finish, and onboard pickup. Plus the hardshell case that fits it like a glove.

https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Paramo...ds=fender+pm-2

Zoom in when on the Amazon page so you can see the details of the purfling and rosette and headstock. It's gorgeous.

If you live in a major metro area there is likely a GC store where you can go and play one, whether this or the PM-2. Both are all-hog (sapele, really), and have a sweet, woody sound.

Edit: I see you live in Hawaii and sadly, there's no GC there. But there must be a Fender dealer on the island, so go out and find one to play.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 12-12-2018, 07:40 AM

+1 on the Larrivee parlor. Mine is sitka/EI Rosewood and there nothing tinny about it. Great bass as well, much better than most of my full size guitars.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 AM

The Alvarez parlor models are great and not boxy or tinny in sound. And easily within budget. Under 800 is not a 'cheap' guitar in my book, so don't listen to folks generalizing the sound of guitars from 300 - 800 range as thin and anemic. There's loads and loads of great sounding instruments in that price range: new and used.

I have played this one and really liked it: Alvarez MPA66ESHB Parlor Shadowburst

The AP70 is also sweet, different character, see a review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgH0nonmemM
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 AM

Larrivee Parlour is very good, but I would avoid the maple models. I played rosewood, mahogany, and maple, back to back. The maple was definitely the thinnest, most treble sounding of them.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Klimski is 100$ right! $800 should definitely get you a great instrument. You should be able to get a very nice Larrivee P01 or P03 for that amount. I would shoot for a P03 at least and as Misifus says stick with the rosewood or mahogany topped models. If you can wait until after Christmas I think a lot of sellers will be willing t take reasonable offers on an instrument rather than pay tax on the inventory.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion