The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 PM

Default How low is too low for action?

I just got a Bourgeois OM VV model and it has 6/64E - 5/64e action which is actually really nice but I prefer 5/64 and 4/64. But Im at the point where I am a little worried about going too low, its easier to go down than up. Am I one of the few that like 5/64 action on the low E or is this normal around here? I can also just get another saddle and fit it to the lower specs and have both.

Are these saddles glued in at all or no? I doubt it. And what material are they stock? Bone?
Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
I just got a Bourgeois OM VV model and it has 6/64E - 5/64e action which is actually really nice but I prefer 5/64 and 4/64. But Im at the point where I am a little worried about going too low, its easier to go down than up. Am I one of the few that like 5/64 action on the low E or is this normal around here? I can also just get another saddle and fit it to the lower specs and have both.

Are these saddles glued in at all or no? I doubt it. And what material are they stock? Bone?
How does it feel? Are you playing it, or measuring it?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-11-2018, 07:49 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
I can also just get another saddle and fit it to the lower specs and have both.
Do this.

Quote:
Are these saddles glued in at all or no?
No.

Quote:
And what material are they stock? Bone?
Often, yes.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:54 PM

Its too low when you have constant fret buzz when played.

I can go much lower than you- 4/64 low E and 2/64 high E, so its personal taste.

You will not be able to get that action and have a good saddle height however. The way most guitars. The only way I can see it feasible is by changing the shims on a Taylor, or if you specify the required string height to the builder beforehand, and he sets the neck geometry accordingly.

Ive only been able to achieve 3/64 on the high E before the string basically has no break angle.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

If it came setup at 3/32" and 2.5/32" I leave that along and get a second saddle and sand it a little lower. You might find the one you have now is perfect in more humid summer months depending on where you reside.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-11-2018, 08:00 PM

Also to add, it seems the saddle runs out of room at the Low E for compensation when the string height is lowered. You may notice the Low E is slightly sharp as you move up the fretboard.

It makes sense because you are basically shortening the string length when lowering string height, and it makes a difference even when the length is miniscule. Either that, or the saddle slot was placed incorrectly.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:21 PM

Measurements and numbers mean absolutely nothing, it's all about the players touch. No matter how high the action on a guitar, if you hit it hard enough it'll buzz. If it sounds good and buzz free for your touch, then the action is fine.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:42 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

5/64E and 4/64e has always been my sweet spot...and I’m a pretty heavy strummer/picker. No buzz. No problem.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
Its too low when you have constant fret buzz when played.
This. It depends on your style and touch. I am a fingerstyle player with a light touch, so I have a low action. G Rockwell, a terrific young bluegrass player, played my guitar at DelFest and hated it! He plays aggressively with a pick, and probably uses heavier strings than I do as well.
My approach is to forget numbers and get a guitar to where it is comfortable, THEN measure and record the heights and put a card in the case compartment with the data. String height should be an effect of your style, not something to strive for. No doubt that higher action gives you better sound but you still have to be able to play it!
I don’t know why setup cards are not a thing. A shop’s advert could be on one side, and setup data on the other.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 12-12-2018, 12:13 AM

You'll also want 'no-buzz' on alternate tunings - if you use any. And for light-to-medium strings - if you plan on varying your strings in the future. And for variations in humidity. Which means a bit extra margin on the action to handle these effects.

Last edited by lar; 12-12-2018 at 12:19 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion