The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 11:07 AM

you can order Taylors with the 1 & 11/16th nut or go get a Martin

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 12-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I would personally have 1 great guitar instead of 7 mediocre guitars, assuming that is what you think of your guitars. But don't let the price tag dictate what you consider a great guitar. Just because you spend $1,500 doesn't mean you'll end up with something that moves you. It's important to find something that really moves you and then go from there.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:58 AM

To consolidate and gain some space, I let go of:
  • A Les Paul Replica by Aria
  • A Brian May Red Special
  • An Ovation Celebrity
  • A matching Vox Brian May Amp
  • An Ultrasound Acoustic Amp

...as credit towards my M36 (and I had to top up a few hundred bucks).
  • Did I do great? Probably not.
  • Could I have done better doing individual sales over 6 months on Reverb? Maybe.
  • Did I get rid of a lot of stuff that was taking up a lot of room in my house? Yes
  • In its place do I have a guitar I feel happy about every time I pick it up? Yes.
  • Did the dealer make money on the M36 and a few bucks here and there on the stuff he took away from me? Yes, and there's no way I could have done that trade with an AGF sponsor, and I'm glad I could help a mom and pop retailer could make the rent.

I then sold, for a reasonable loss, a Northwood MJ and Avian Skylark, to make space and free funds for my Bashkin build and Michaud build. I have a stable I like now, and guitars that will help me inform the money I am putting into the builds.

Bottom line, if you have conviction about what you are doing and why you are doing it, you don't need validation from us here. It has to make sense for you more than anything else.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 12-09-2018, 01:00 PM

I would agree with others to get the life and finances in order before making drastic changes. I'd hate to hear someone get their dream guitar, only to lose it in a divorce.

That being said, I don't really have an answer. I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea that there's one ultimate guitar. My tastes in music and gear is too broad for that. I feel like "dream guitars" set people up for failure most of the time. A small Taylor is never going to sound like a big Martin. Finding the right guitar is mostly about knowing the desired tone, specs, and how to coax that tone out of an instrument. You can't play a dreadnought with a feather and expect a cannon.

It may be worth considering a used guitar on this forum. I have managed to snag some really nice guitars without paying full price.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’m not knocking the 214 at all, but I’d take my time and try to sell what I had and find a good used higher-end series Taylor. I only paid $1500 for my 1995 810 when I bought it and it’s a FANTASTIC guitar! I see used 500-800 series guitars for $1500-2000 all the time. Check out the used page on guitar center for example.
This is the best approach. Lots of great deals out there right now.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Default ...Most don't get played regularly.

Most don't get played regularly.

WEll I think you answered your own guitar direction.
Just be careful to not sell one you will miss. There are 3 or 4 I would buy back.

Keep a cheaper, chimey Taylor... if you have the room.
Then get a deeper, warmer acoustic that has you reaching for the case with a Pavlovian response.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
There are 3 or 4 I would buy back.
Which ones?
Old 12-09-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
I have learned it is better NOT to make some kinds of decisions when life deals you turmoil.
Wise counsel there. A certain radio financial coach recommends not making any major life decisions for six months after a traumatic event. Who you are in the throes of pain and loss may not make the right decision for who you will be a year from now. By all means, continue to window shop and dream - hope is important. But don't medicate your blues with retail therapy. [end friendly psychology lecture]

Having said that, I'd keep the Yamaha and the Tele - that covers your basic acoustic and electric needs adequately. What I have learned from having some really nice guitars is that they can become too precious and become case queens for fear of risking them. Apart from variety, there is usefulness in having a "beater" guitar that can go anywhere without much worry. Although I hope it never comes to this, I could be happy with just my Seagull S6 - and the ability to still play. Everything else is icing on the cake.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Which ones?
I’d keep the GS Mini! They’re fantastic guitars and even though I have some high-end Taylors, I still love playing my mini!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Its not a bad idea, but I wouldn't do it for a 200 series Taylor. The 300 series is so much better. I think its crazy to spend that much on a laminate b/s guitar.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-09-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Its not a bad idea, but I wouldn't do it for a 200 series Taylor. The 300 series is so much better. I think its crazy to spend that much on a laminate b/s guitar.
I agree 100%! I bought a 2016 210ce DLX Koa for my kids for $800 and it was in mint condition. It was a great guitar but didn’t speak to me tone-wise and had to go.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-09-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
For myself...

I have learned it is better NOT to make some kinds of decisions when life deals you turmoil.
Paddy has a voice of wisdom.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Which ones?
A Quatro PRS, A redwood Goodall and a Gibson J 45 TV! I emailed the buyers a year later. Two so far they are keeping and one I was too late as he sold it.

I always keep my eye out for another TV but there are many here who say go check the Vintage. The thicker neck sounds nice.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:25 PM

Let’s assume that you’ll keep your GS Mini, as some of us remember how long it took you to acquire that special one in the first place. And you’ll keep your Tele.

So, of 5 guitars left, I wonder how many of us on AGF would consider picking up one of your affordable guitars, after your divorce is final? (Speaking as a divorcee.)

In the meantime, you could follow Reverb auctions for the models you’re selling to get prepared to price each of them at market value. You could also use the time to play examples of the Taylors available in your area & price range.
2015 Larrivee Legacy OM-40: Sitka/Mahogany
2017 Martin Retro 000-15M: All Mahogany
2019 Taylor FALL LTD 512ce 12-fret: Cedar/Koa
2022 Gibson Original Ser. L-00 VSB: Sitka/Mahogany
2023 Larrivee Custom OM-40R: Bearclaw/Rosewood
Old 12-10-2018, 12:22 AM

I am not, nor will I ever be "rich". With a wife and four kids, buying even a $1,000.00 instrument would be out of line. But if I had a used Guild GAD F130 and either a Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo, or a Walden G570CE, and an Art & Lutherie Ami Nylon, I'd probably be content until death, as I don't foresee needing a high-end instrument (my kids violins and violas, come first!). I'd probably keep the AMI in my signature as my parlour guitar, and move the other two acoustics. Maybe (both are nice beaters!).

If I did move the Yamaha and the S&P, I'd be left with a nice solid-top spruce, a nice solid-top cedar, a parlour w/mojo (my Ami was purchased used, cheap, and very dinged up, being cedar), a nylon string, and I'd have no financial liabilities and a happy marriage!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion