The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Should I sell/trade most of my guitars for 1 great one?

I have been thinking about this for many weeks.
I have a total of 7 guitars, 4 acoustics, and 3 electrics.
None of them are high-end.
Most don't get played regularly.
I was thinking about selling or trading-in most of them,
and using that money or trade value to get one really nice
Taylor acoustic/electric.
Money is really tight with me, this would be my only option
to obtain a nice Taylor. I was thinking about the
Taylor 214ce DLX - Sunburst.
$1,499 brand new.
Would need used, even with trades.
Or maybe a sponsor here has a B-stock one for a low price?
Anyway, thoughts anyone?
Keep what I have, or go for my dream guitar?

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-08-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:44 PM

If it's truly your dream guitar, then you need to find a way to get it. Just make sure that's what you want. My dream guitar was a Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage. I finally managed to buy one, and then never played it much. I just thought I liked it, but once I had it, the shine was off of the apple.

If you sell your other guitars, will you miss them? I've done that before, and when they are gone, they are gone. Don't ever sell a guitar that you really love! You can always save up for that Taylor and keep the guitars that you have and like. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Depends on how much attachment you have to any / all of the ones you have.

Many here can relate tales of a "lesser" guitar that had some emotional or other significant attachment for them that they wish they'd never let go ...

That being said, another option would be to keep your favorite acoustic, keep your favorite electric, sell the others and save up to make up the difference ... patience can also be key getting the best used deal ... you might be surprised what shows up if you wait and monitor the used market consistently.

All the best with your quest ...

~ Paul

Old 12-08-2018, 01:51 PM

Greetings, If most of your guitars see little or no playing time and the solid body electrics are not needed, I would go for it.
Purchase and enjoy that special one. This is just my 2 cents, so best with your decision.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:08 PM

I’m not knocking the 214 at all, but I’d take my time and try to sell what I had and find a good used higher-end series Taylor. I only paid $1500 for my 1995 810 when I bought it and it’s a FANTASTIC guitar! I see used 500-800 series guitars for $1500-2000 all the time. Check out the used page on guitar center for example.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-08-2018, 02:09 PM

Its a good idea, I gave up a good half dozen guitars for one and couldnt be happier.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I’m not knocking the 214 at all, but I’d take my time and try to sell what I had and find a good used higher-end series Taylor. I only paid $1500 for my 1995 810 when I bought it and it’s a FANTASTIC guitar! I see used 500-800 series guitars for $1500-2000 all the time. Check out the used page on guitar center for example.
I agree with the Tennessee Fidler but would expand the search to Ebay and Reverb....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-08-2018, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

What Tnfiddler said.

Don't trade in, take your time selling your guitars and then be patient for the right higher end Taylor to come up. I just checked locally and there was an excellent condition 615 with an asking price of 1200.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:28 PM

For the price of a new 214 DLX one can buy a nice used 400 series.

The 100 and 200 series Taylors have their place. But the 200 DLX seems like a LOT of money to pay for a plywood Taylor. I can think of dozens of guitars I would rather own at that price point.

Nothing wrong with selling a few and moving up. I just sold two nice Larrivees (including my Forum-III) and will be putting that money towards an Emerald.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I tried it once with electrics - it didn't work. I had a strat and an Ibanez semi-hollow over a year ago and was playing the Ibanez more at that time. I decided to sell them and get one amazing PRS. Which I did, fortunately buying the PRS slightly used. The PRS was everything it was cracked up to be, but then I REALLY missed the strat - I've been playing strats since 1979) and bought another. And then I figured out why I was having so much discomfort playing the PRS - it's leg but was extremely far forward toward the headstock, which pushed the rest of the guitar back to my right in my customary seated position, which made both upper fret access and my picking position really uncomfortable to reach. So it didn't take long for me to sell the PRS and buy another Ibanez semi-hollow and the I added a P-90 tele. Now I have three guitars that together don't cost nearly as much as that PRS did (even used, forget about it new) but I'm really happy with them. Even if I hadn't had that comfier problem with the PRS, I'm happier with the three I've got than I would have been with just that.

To each his own, but I like a little variety in good instruments rather than no variety with one great instrument.

I've got two really wonderful acoustics, but I paid less for them together than a lot of higher end acoustics cost on their own. And I like the variety...

-Ray
Old 12-08-2018, 02:38 PM

I agree with what Tnfiddler and a couple others said.. I would think hard before buying a 214 DLX. If you've played a bunch of others and that's STILL the only one you want, then fine... but ... to me, that is one of Taylor's most overpriced guitars. I love Taylor, but I think some of their guitars are pretty grossly overpriced, especially if you're shopping somewhere that tries to stick to MSRP and won't come down.

So.. you already said you're thinking about going used... I wouldn't limit yourself to a 200 series. I was in the same boat, thinking of buying the 214 DLX, but when I played it side-by-side with a 314, the 314 blew it out of the water.

You can get a used 314 for the same price as a 214 DLX. And if you're patient, as someone else said, you can find a great deal on something even higher up the ladder, for the same price. Sometimes people just wanna get what they can and don't mind selling way below market value. I don't mean to knock on the 214 DLX if that's the one you really want, but I would highly advise playing some of the others (314, 414, 514, etc) ... even if the price tag makes you think "I can never afford this", you'll be surprised, when something pops up at a great deal, at least you'll know if you like the sound.

anyway, that's all I've got, but yeah... I would keep at least one guitar so you have something to play on, sell the rest of them, and start saving every spare penny you can, . put it in a box, a bank account, whatever works for you.. be patient... and GET your dream guitar!!

Cheers
Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 12-08-2018, 02:39 PM

I have been there. I sold half of my good guitars and bought a great one. I took the slow path and sold each separate and only lost money on one. Craigslist works. When it's time to move up to quality you will know.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post

You can get a used 314 for the same price as a 214 DLX. And if you're patient, as someone else said, you can find a great deal on something even higher up the ladder, for the same price.

Cheers
Scott
Phoenix Craigslist has a 414 for $1200 and a 414ce for $1300.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-08-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

There are those of us who get guitars to perform and earn money with, those who collect them just for the wicked joys of possession, and all stops in between.

We all love the thrill of the chase, and the pleasure of acquisition.

you have "stock" but not cash. So why not liquidate the guitars you have?

I have more than I need now but enjoy them although since my illness last year I'm not performing half as much and wondering about my gear.

Sometimes we can find ourselves owned by our possessions - so if you aren't in love with the guitars you have now - let them go and follow your dream to get the guitar you currently yearn for.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Any series higher than the 200s have a wider nut and neck.
The 100 and 200 series Taylors have the 1&11/16” nut widths.
The 300 and above series have the 1&3/4” nuts.
I greatly prefer the narrower nut widths.
So, as a big Taylor fan, I am stuck with those options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion