The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-29-2018, 03:01 PM

Maybe only 7 minutes for you, but that's a boatload of gear, and a heavy speaker.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanJeff View Post
Maybe only 7 minutes for you, but that's a boatload of gear, and a heavy speaker.

Shiiiidddd, it’s worth it because this is what I do for a living and it sounds phenomenal. I have a rock n roller cart, and I only have two load ins that I have to ask for help with. Never have a problem.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
This isn't directed at you, when is the last time you heard anyone tell someone else anything other than, "Sounds great, man!" I say it too. Even when somebody sounds reckless. I try to be polite regardless.

Do you get other cats in town coming up to you asking about everything in your signal chain and start buying the same stuff that you're using? That would really tell you something.

Honestly, it's not solely about the gear. Knowing how to gain stage, EQ, mix, proper speaker placement, and more is all paramount.

Not to be argumentative, but decent sound is not my goal, nor is perfection. Ever evolving and increasingly better are my goals.

Personally, I get great results or better with a small format mixer with mid sweeps, a sub, active crossover, one or two tops, and a monitor. However, for my simple rig, the mixer and a powered speaker do better than decent.

Like I said before, the SA 220/330's are a nice piece of gear, but to me, their too limited to chance having less EQ than I want or need. So much ( almost everything ) happens in the mid frequencies on an acoustic gig, that a fixed mid is a deal breaker. If they included mid sweeps, I'd consider one.

You've been lucky so far!

No doubt that they can sound great in a myriad of situations. I'm just saying that if you run into problems without mid sweeps, you could change your tune fast. I've had it happen and seen it happen on more than one occasion.

I put my Line 6 L3T up against my friend's SA 330 and he bought an L3T about a month later. For the comparison, I used the integrated mixer.

I could use the mixer while gigging my it has mid sweeps. However, I make adjustments as the amount of people in the room changes, and I hate to be tethered to the PA, or get up to make an adjustment.

Just personal preference. For those reasons and more, I prefer traditional modular PA equipment. I wish I could find something that had one piece that worked for me. I haven't yet.

All that said, if you sound good enough to get hired back, and you're happy with your sound, then that's all that matters.

The difference for me was years ago playing through a killer house system with a great engineer that took the time to dial me in. He became a friend and I ended up shadowing him for a while to learn how to twist knobs, which led to me mixing for him from time to time.

Although I occasionally go out with a 10" powered 2-way, I really don't ever want a full range signal going through just one box. Again, that's me and I'm kind of a lunatic when it comes to sound reinforcement.
I have a Line 6 L2t that sounds great and has just about everything I need. The niggling things about it are no phantom power and the reverb could be better.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I have a Line 6 L2t that sounds great and has just about everything I need. The niggling things about it are no phantom power and the reverb could be better.
Agreed on both counts. I always use an EFX8 mixer with mine though.Mainly because I want to put the speaker where it will sound and cover best and not have to be tied to it.

Last edited by The Kid!; 12-04-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
This isn't directed at you, when is the last time you heard anyone tell someone else anything other than, "Sounds great, man!" I say it too. Even when somebody sounds reckless. I try to be polite regardless.

Do you get other cats in town coming up to you asking about everything in your signal chain and start buying the same stuff that you're using? That would really tell you something.
My thought is frequently nothing is said, but we have peers who shoot it to us straight and some who only comment when it's good.

My observation is some musicians want better sound but don't really want to commit or make changes to achieve it. I think there's a OCD quality, minus maybe the Dysfunction, to musicians that chase sound and tone. Many musicians bail when you mention $300 preamp; that's just scratching the surface and without vocal equipment. I see a lot musicians just plug right into a DI or the amp and are quite happy.

Here on the forum we ask questions; debate argue merits and limits because we're seeking, not complacent.

For posterity, in reference to the Op and some of the responses:

I think this type product, like other arrays, fills a gap between a guitar/keyboard amp and full PAs.

I play instrumental guitar solo, in a duo, and in a band. We used my partner's SA220 for years and have had great success with achieving great sound in a various venues. We've occasionally added a sub and or a extension depending what we desired, but those were rare and very large venues.

My experience as a instrumentalist is the SoloAmp provides great sound and covers the tonal spectrum of acoustic guitar very well. It's dispersion fills rooms very nicely.

Where it will show it's limits will be larger noisy rooms. IMHO It's not designed for that and a full PA is going to be optimum, which let's face it sounds great and is the better overall choice it you have the desire to haul equipment when the venue doesn't have a quality PA.

FWIW how I got to the SA330:
I started performing with a Schertler David, and after needing more power, used a DBR 10 as my solo rig. I also used the DBR as the extension when we need one in the bands. The DBR worked very well and has great tone. That said, it is no comparison considering transporting. Even though I made a small cart to fit the bag I bought for it, still no comparison. In addition the DBR was limited without a mixer, so there's one more thing to carry to optimize it.

Last edited by Turp; 12-08-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
My thought is frequently nothing is said, but we have peers who shoot it to us straight and some who only comment when it's good.
I can dig that. There are cats in town with great ears that I really trust to give me their honest opinion. I'd rather criticism than praise. I'd rather know how it can be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
My observation is some musicians want better sound but don't really want to commit or make changes to achieve it. I think there's a OCD quality, minus maybe the Dysfunction, to musicians that chase sound and tone. Many musicians bail when you mention $300 preamp; that's just scratching the surface and without vocal equipment. I see a lot musicians just plug right into a DI or the amp and are quite happy.
Just because they're happy doesn't mean it sounds good.

$300 on a preamp isn't crazy at all. The OCD comment is pretty spot on for some, but the chase of tone is part of the fun. I definitely have been guilty of obsessing over nuances.

Last edited by The Kid!; 12-08-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I can dig that. There are cats in town with great ears that I really trust to give me their honest opinion. I'd rather criticism than praise. I'd rather know how it can be better.

Just because they're happy doesn't mean it sounds good.

$300 on a preamp isn't crazy at all. The OCD comment is pretty spot on for some, but the chase of tone is part of the fun. I definitely have been guilty of obsessing over nuances.
I have to say, I'd love to hear some of the high end setups described here. Not because I think they'll necessarily sound amazing, but because I'm interested hearing what other people think sounds amazing. I've talked to some folks that rave about their amazing 'tone' that simply doesn't sound good to me.

Anyway, I find that kind of stuff interesting.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:54 PM

Hey all, just wondering if anyone uses an acoustic amp DI'd out to the SA330x?
I have a Boss Acoustic Singer Pro with individual outs on both channels.
Could I use the amp as a monitor, allowing me to control the harmony and loop features, then plug each of the amps channels into the SA330x individual channels, or am I over thinking this?
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 01-16-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovekings View Post
Yep Rustyaxe. We are in agreement. We get an awesome sound with our rig and it would be hard to be happy with less. Even just one top sounds great with no subs and it only weighs 34 pounds. I'm keepin Em lol
I was about to say that you'd be better off with one top and a mixer.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

For my last gig, I used my Boss Acoustic Singer Live as mixer/amp and
ran the 'mix' out to my Bose L1 Compact. It sounded great, and I could
use the EQ on the ASLive. It basically replaced my VE8 + T1+ cables,
and I didn't have to use the hidden EQ in the VE8. I cannot see why
it would be different with the SA330x.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Hey all, just wondering if anyone uses an acoustic amp DI'd out to the SA330x?
I have a Boss Acoustic Singer Pro with individual outs on both channels.
Could I use the amp as a monitor, allowing me to control the harmony and loop features, then plug each of the amps channels into the SA330x individual channels, or am I over thinking this?
If your amp has an XLR line out it could send a line level signal into the back of the Fishman into the Mon in. This makes the Fishman a powered speaker. The volume would then be controlled by the Mon In on the front panel. Everything else would be controlled by the amp making it your "mixer." While going into the individual channels in the front of the Fishman might work, you'd be sending a line level signal into a mic level input. I'd keep the gain controls very low if I tried that.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:23 AM

Could someone please tell me how to plug a small mixer into the SA330? Thanks
Old 02-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

If it were me, I'd just plug into the Aux In 1/4 inch input on the back of the unit (upper left area). I've read that this bypasses some other controls, notably the mute, but presumably your mixer has a mute button as well.

Here's a link to the SA330x manual

https://www.fishman.com/wp-content/u...User-Guide.pdf

Here's a link to a chat about this very subject--hopefully I'm linking to the second page where they bring up the SA330X as opposed to its predecessor.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=212336&page=2

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification