The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-08-2014, 08:22 AM

I find it no problem to play in front of people when I'm gigging with another person or band. Sometimes I'm a bit tight when it's just me. What you're asking is how to get in your "comfort zone" as quickly as possible and that's different for everyone.

What works for me is a combination of things that have already been suggested but certainly aren't scientific and these tips are for the typical club/pub/tavern type gigs not receptions or recitals:

1. I have a beer and walk around the venue saying hello to folks before I start playing. I find this helps tremendously to break down that barrier between me and the audience and make us both feel more comfortable. Nothing forced; just a low key "how's it going?", "thanks for coming out", "anything I can play for you", type of thing. It's also a good way to find out about birthdays, anniversaries, etc. We all know that once you have most or all of the audience on your side you are more than likely on your way to a fun gig.

2. As mentioned, I usually start with about three tunes that are in my vocal and playing comfort zone and that give the audience an idea of what my set is going to be like. To some extent the audience has to find their comfort zone as well.

3. Many folks that listen to the kind of music I like to play have kids. They'll come out early to a gig so they can all eat then catch the first set. There enjoyment depends in large part on how the kids behave. Being kids they often want to move about a bit. I'll throw in a verse or two of Wheels on the Bus or Sponge Bob to see if that captures their attention. If it does then it draws them in and mom and dad have a better chance to relax for a few minutes. My kids are older now but when they were in that 4-8 range I appreciated any family outing where I could have a grown up moment or two with my wife even if the kids were along. This may be beneath some of you purists but when I take a gig for money my feeling is I'm working for whoever is paying me, which leads me to my last point...

4. Remember, in most cases you are hired to provide musical entertainment that adds value to the establishment; if the club owner, wait staff, bartenders and patrons all like you, chances are you'll be working more. That takes knowing your audience, your venue and yourself and being able to create an experience that makes folks comfortable and brings them back. You can best do that when you are relaxed so find that happy place!
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write