The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-03-2014, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim72 View Post
Sweet lesson Toby! This forum is a great place to learn because of people like you and Larry!!

Thank you,
Thanks.

Larry's approach is also very well thought out and shows how a good teacher will organize the information in step by step, easy to 'digest,' bite size chunks.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Toby, good video for Ken.
Just one off topic question, what kind of guitar is that on the left hanging on your wall ?
Bern... you mean the odd looking one just over my shoulder? That would be a Kay Stromberg-Viosinet from the thirties.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM

Thank you very much Toby, I will begin the steps. I seem to be a slow learner, but persistant. That is an excellent lesson!

I have trouble hearing your voice, but the guitar comes through. I found a free program on-line that saves it to my computer, and allows me to double the volume when I play it back.
It also lets me download YouTube stuff for future referance. The progam is http://www.ilivid.com/ in case others might have a need for it.

Thanks again, sure is unbelievable help on this forum!
Ken
Old 01-03-2014, 12:15 PM

I was once exclusively a flat picker and fingerpicking came slow. These have been great suggestions and I would echo just two: metronome and go slow. Once you find you are bored going slow and on beat, take it up but not all the way. Good luck!

Gibson J-45 Deluxe 1977
Gibson Les Paul Custom 1976
Hugh Tracey Kalimba 1978
Baby Taylor 2010
Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O View Post
Thank you very much Toby, I will begin the steps. I seem to be a slow learner, but persistant. That is an excellent lesson!

I have trouble hearing your voice, but the guitar comes through. I found a free program on-line that saves it to my computer, and allows me to double the volume when I play it back.
It also lets me download YouTube stuff for future referance. The progam is http://www.ilivid.com/ in case others might have a need for it.

Thanks again, sure is unbelievable help on this forum!
Ken
Hi Ken,

You may want to do a google search for complaints about ilivid software. I went to their website to look at downloading and decided to check to see if there were any complaints about it, I am glad I did. The results I got were not very positive about the software, malware issues. This is what cnet has to say about it, go here to check out their recommendation re ilivid.

http://download.cnet.com/iLivid-Down...-75739415.html

I don't think I am going to risk downloading it.

Last edited by Jim72; 01-03-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the lesson, Toby.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
...Thumpin' the blues is right down my alley. I love showing folks this stuff. I also do it for a living but what the heck, there's too much snow and I have no place to go so here goes: I made a little video for you. Enjoy.
Toby, I always read your threads and posts, you are a great teacher and your passion for sharing music is a benefit to our entire community. Thanks for taking the time to post the cool little video! I have been playing only with a flatpick for the last couple of years, but you inspire me to start working on fingerstyle blues again.

PS: Of all the beautiful guitars I know you have, I think it's cool that you pick a beat up old relic to demonstrate... it is 99% musician, 1% instrument.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Toby, I always read your threads and posts, you are a great teacher and your passion for sharing music is a benefit to our entire community. Thanks for taking the time to post the cool little video! I have been playing only with a flatpick for the last couple of years, but you inspire me to start working on fingerstyle blues again.

PS: Of all the beautiful guitars I know you have, I think it's cool that you pick a beat up old relic to demonstrate... it is 99% musician, 1% instrument.
Thanks for those kind words.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write