The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-27-2013, 08:42 PM

Default Advice From the Teachers Here, Please

Advice From the Teachers Here, Please

I'm wondering what book / material you would recommend for someone to get a good, solid, foundational level of [guitar] instruction from? Please assume that the student basically has no knowledge of being able to read music. But, that the goal is to be able to read music at a reasonably proficient level.

For those who will merely respond with the standard "there is no magic wand" type of reply, you can rest assured that I've heard that one before. I am a well disciplined person, and I will devote a set amount of time each day for practice.

I would appreciate a recommendation as to a book and / or other materials to get started from.

Thank you,
Will

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 12-27-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:01 PM

Progressive Rythm Guitar by Gary Turner.

He assumes the student knows nothing - starts with the parts of the guitar and how to hold it. Teaches TAB, how to read notation, what finger goes on each string for each chord, strumming patterns.

Includes a CD (tracks of the exercises) and DVD (video instruction).
And it's only $17.75 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/095...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bet I've purchased 10 or more of this book in the past 7 years - I keep giving them away!

1976 Martin N-20, Classical
2001 Martin OM-42 Limited Edition #43 of 50;
2002 Martin 000-17s from sayheyjeff;
2003 Martin UMGF custom 00-18VS #24;
2014 Greenridge custom OMC BRW 12 fret;
2013 Custom OMC narrow body Koa/Spruce/Maple from Saigon;

For Sale:
2004 Martin OMC-28 LJ #96

2010 BMW K1300GT touring motorcycle, for when I'm not playing
Old 12-27-2013, 09:16 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-M...s=ed+friedland

There's this for bass. I've always wondered if there's a guitar equivalent.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:15 PM

Hey Taylorplayer, Why do you want to read music?

Look man, IMHO there is no right or wrong way to approach playing the guitar.

For the vast majority of pop/rock music reading is just not that relevant. I really don't want to come off like some kind of a jerk who's telling you there's only one way and it's my way, because like I said there is no right or wrong way!

But if I were you and just starting out I would learn to play the basic chords and from there learn to strum songs. Maybe after a while you can learn a couple of the positions of the pentatonic scale so you can start to experiment with improvising.

Marty Swartz has an excellent youtube channel that's perfect for beginners here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJg...pnhKHdsGiFQRyQ

There's a ton of very easy songs you can play there. Also Justin Guitar is good too:
https://www.youtube.com/user/JustinSandercoe

I hope this helps man, I mean you'll get plenty of "advice" along the way but in the end you'll have to forge your own path on your guitar journey.
Good luck!

Shutup & Play - Rock Guitar Tutorials
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAwuvzhah0KUw5QNihSkEwQ
Old 12-28-2013, 03:35 PM

Thanks to all who have replied thus far. I'm actually an "OK" player. I know chord shapes, scales, how to read tab. I can do a decent "three finger roll" style of picking. I can play some blues, some alternate tunings, and some of what I might have to just call "Will music" for lack of a better term. And I'm not knocking any of that - by any means! I know that playing in that manner really works well for most people.

Here's the deal. I just turned 60 -- and BTW, I like being 60! I spent my 30's and 40's trying to "be somebody", my 50's trying to handle all the stress that came from actually "being somebody", and at 60 I'm no-longer am held to the trappings of that crazy life-style anymore.

Back to being 60. I am setting one major goal for myself each year from now until.............? Well, you get my point. This year's goal is to become proficient in reading music. Such that someone could hand me some sheet music and I could sit and play through it.

That's my goal and I'm sticking to it! So, thanks in advance for any help and advice. I do appreciate it.

Will
Old 12-28-2013, 04:12 PM

You want to associate what you are playing with reading standard notation or you want to learn something new by reading notation?
Old 12-28-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
You want to associate what you are playing with reading standard notation or you want to learn something new by reading notation?
The latter... "want to learn something new by reading notation?"
Old 12-28-2013, 05:06 PM

I suggest to find a teacher . For instance you could have lessons with a classical guitar teacher so you could learn to play fingerstyle and you also learn to read standard notation.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
The latter... "want to learn something new by reading notation?"
Hi T-player...
Note reading is note reading, just like basic math is basic math. About anyone can teach a child to count to ten, add two plus two etc. Basic note reading of the treble staff is really that basic.

You can learn notation from a Classic Guitar book, or you could learn it as it applies to music in general from taking basic piano lessons (I'm guessing you don't play piano).

In fact if one takes basic piano, the first lessons will be primarily driven by learning notation in the treble clef. And then it will expand to bass clef as one progresses to two handed playing.

Note reading includes more than just note names; it also includes note values (counting), and reading multiple parts (one part moves while another is sustained etc). With piano it eventually leads to chord building (which is rarely taught by guitar note reading instruction).

A basic Classic Guitar book like A Modern Approach to Classical Guitar: Book 1 - (HL00695114) - CliCk would cover a lot of information about note reading. A well invested $7.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-28-2013, 05:37 PM

My recommendation is not one book, but a series. The "Flatpicking Essentials" series provides a very solid foundation in rhythm playing (book 1), melody playing (book 2) and then book 3 is basically a fiddle tune book. I don't know that book 3 is relevant if you have little or no interest in Bluegrass or old-time, but the lessons learned in books 1 and 2 build a very solid foundation.

If you were to combine these two with Mark Hanson's "The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking" you would have given yourself a fairly comprehensive beginning to your guitar-playing.

If you really wanted to round out your collection, Shearer's "Classic Guitar Technique, vol 1" would add a little classical guitar, in addition to work with note-reading.

Last edited by posternutbag; 12-28-2013 at 05:40 PM. Reason: added the Shearer book
Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi T-player...
Note reading is note reading, just like basic math is basic math. About anyone can teach a child to count to ten, add two plus two etc. Basic note reading of the treble staff is really that basic.

You can learn notation from a Classic Guitar book, or you could learn it as it applies to music in general from taking basic piano lessons (I'm guessing you don't play piano).

In fact if one takes basic piano, the first lessons will be primarily driven by learning notation in the treble clef. And then it will expand to bass clef as one progresses to two handed playing.

Note reading includes more than just note names; it also includes note values (counting), and reading multiple parts (one part moves while another is sustained etc). With piano it eventually leads to chord building (which is rarely taught by guitar note reading instruction).

A basic Classic Guitar book like A Modern Approach to Classical Guitar: Book 1 - (HL00695114) - CliCk would cover a lot of information about note reading. A well invested $7.

Thanks LJ - I value your opinion very much.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:38 PM

Its hard to go wrong with good old Mel Bay. They have lots of different materials. Google 'em and start cruising through their stuff.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevGeo View Post
Its hard to go wrong with good old Mel Bay. They have lots of different materials. Google 'em and start cruising through their stuff.
Mel Bay grade 1 will get you reading standard notation.

2015 Epi B.B. King Lucille
Life is Good!
Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 PM

Leavitt. Wear a cup. It's a...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-28-2013, 09:54 PM

There are a number of graded guitar methods to choose from - Mel Bay, Alfred, Hal Leonard, Leavitt (if you're more ambitious) - I'd suggest checking them out in person in a music store (or, if that isn't an option, on Amazon.com, where you can usually see at least a few preview pages) to see which might meet your needs.

The downside to some of these is that while they will certainly systematically teach you to play from standard notation, the (public domain) songs they use might not excite you very much - "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" and the like...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write