The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-26-2013, 10:21 AM

Default Performing solo fingerstyle

I am 100% unable to sing. Due to my habit of being screwed by bandmates, I'm thinking solo fingerstyle would probably be my best bet. On Monday I saw that they finally got the band website up and someone else was listed as their bassist.

I think I have about a half dozen partially written songs that I will need to finish up.

I don't really have any questions about how to play, but a few about the logistics.

1. My town really likes indie/Americana singer songwriter types. I'm not even aware of someone that would be performing instrumental acoustic pieces. Would it be wise to try to perform with these guys or would the audience likely be bored to tears?

2. About how much material does one need to start going on stage? I have never officially timed my tunes.

3. Wise to add covers until I have a long enough set?
Old 12-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
…1. My town really likes indie/Americana singer songwriter types. I'm not even aware of someone that would be performing instrumental acoustic pieces. Would it be wise to try to perform with these guys or would the audience likely be bored to tears?
2. About how much material does one need to start going on stage? I have never officially timed my tunes.
HI s2y...

Open mics are a good way to break in with fingerstyle. Usually you have just a few minutes (2-3 songs max). I think covers earn you the right with an audience to play originals.

In addition - when playing fingerstyle, I follow the early Beatles model. I keep my songs/arrangements to between 2 minutes 30 seconds to 3 minutes long tops. I'd rather play it really well and leave them wanting more than wear them out.

And I never play a verse the same way twice (during a single arrangement). High octave, low octave and a mixture usually (in different orders).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-26-2013, 11:06 AM

Thanks. I'll keep all of that in mind.

I'll have to do some research on the open mics in my area. I hadn't really given it much thought until I was unexpectedly canned from my band and was simply used to local rock venues.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:18 AM

1. My town really likes indie/Americana singer songwriter types. I'm not even aware of someone that would be performing instrumental acoustic pieces. Would it be wise to try to perform with these guys or would the audience likely be bored to tears?

Not sure what you mean here. Which guys are you talking about -- your old bandmates, or the local singer/songwriters? And if you do play with them, I'm not sure why you think the audience would be bored to tears, unless you're thinking that you'd be playing acoustic instrumentals with them. Then I guess it depends on how boring and same-sounding your stuff is. Working up a playable repertoire with someone else can be be fun and rewarding, with the right person. And maybe he/she could handle all the vocals.

Are you talking about stage gigs, or coffeehouse/winebar-type stuff? The former might only require 20 minutes or so of material as part of a multi-act show; the latter might require 3 hours or more of material. Check out the venues you're targeting and see what you'll need, if that's your goal.

Of course! In fact playing some covers might create a little more accepting and receptive audience for your originals. Slowly work your way up to an all-original set(s) if you can pull it off.

I will add that IMO, instrumental-only acts are not as well-received, generally, as acts with vocals; audiences typically can engage with you and your stuff better when there are vocals, whether it's original or cover stuff. But you don't plan on singing, it sounds like, so your instrumental materials needs to be pretty strong. Don't overlook the possibility of finding a good duo partner, though; that can be a good arrangement and give you the best of both worlds.

Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-26-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post

Not sure what you mean here. Which guys are you talking about -- your old bandmates, or the local singer/songwriters? And if you do play with them, I'm not sure why you think the audience would be bored to tears, unless you're thinking that you'd be playing acoustic instrumentals with them. Then I guess it depends on how boring and same-sounding your stuff is. Working up a playable repertoire with someone else can be be fun and rewarding, with the right person. And maybe he/she could handle all the vocals.
I meant that the singer/songwriter is so popular that I question my odds of good perception, regardless of performance.

I have been in and out of bands for a long time and don't have much to show for it. I've dealt with a lot of flaky musicians. Some former friends of mine think they're Zappa and treated me like I was a total beginner on bass. I realize I might do better as a duo, especially if someone sang. At the moment, I really don't want to deal with the hassles. Maybe this will change, but the last band did not end on a positive note at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post

Are you talking about stage gigs, or coffeehouse/winebar-type stuff? The former might only require 20 minutes or so of material as part of a multi-act show; the latter might require 3 hours or more of material. Check out the venues you're targeting and see what you'll need, if that's your goal.

Of course! In fact playing some covers might create a little more accepting and receptive audience for your originals. Slowly work your way up to an all-original set(s) if you can pull it off.

I will add that IMO, instrumental-only acts are not as well-received, generally, as acts with vocals; audiences typically can engage with you and your stuff better when there are vocals, whether it's original or cover stuff. But you don't plan on singing, it sounds like, so your instrumental materials needs to be pretty strong. Don't overlook the possibility of finding a good duo partner, though; that can be a good arrangement and give you the best of both worlds.

Good luck!
I'd probably start with the occasional open mic and see where it goes. I understand being instrumental probably won't be as popular. The last thing I want to do is write a bunch of songs that someone takes and replaces me without telling me (again). Besides, I probably need to force myself to write and complete my songs without assistance. I've always been good with co-writing, not very good with being the primary writer.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I play solo instrumental fingerstyle. However, I've been more successful in a duo. We play multi-genre music; about 50% original. The arrangements are ours. We also mix in solo sets. It is much easier and more dynamic/entertaining having two guitars.

My observation is instrumental music is very welcome in intimate dining and bar environments. However, we've played some gigs where we were more "out front". The thing is the the set list has to include some songs that have a "hook", energy, and range in dynamic that still pairs well with the atmosphere.

Another thing that helps when performing solo is a looper and multi-preset effect. I use it very conservatively and tastefully, to allow me some flexibility.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write