The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-25-2013, 07:59 PM

Default New Guitar Teaching Materials Day!

From the family, off my Amazon gift list...not even sure where to start, but what I think I've decided to do is work completely through the Happy Traum materials (or at least to page 50--Freight Train, which I've already been working on!), and then try out the Toby Walker DVD.

I guess it's pretty obvious that my wish list had come from you AGF people!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:51 PM

Hope you have a lot of time to enjoy your gifts! I would suggest trying the Toby Walker DVD right away as it is a very practical approach!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Cool! I'm planning to pick up Flatpicking Essentials 1 & 2 with some Christmas money I got.

Jason
Old 12-25-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Hope you have a lot of time to enjoy your gifts! I would suggest trying the Toby Walker DVD right away as it is a very practical approach!
Well, I am willing to follow advice. My logic was that the Toby Walker DVD says "DVD 2," so there must be some predicate put down in a first DVD. I actually can Travis pick decently (just 6 months in), and I did enjoy a free Toby Walker lesson on youtube, so I know it's good. However, as I said on another thread, I have figured out that I have some weak foundation spots in just basic alternate thumb picking when adding melody, so I was thinking I should take the fundamental approach of hard-core one-skill-at-a-time curriculum before I gave in to the fun stuff. Happy Traum's first song is Skip to My Lou, and dangfire if it doesn't have a little slippery part just like Freight Train!

I do plan to put in a lot of time. I really will take advice on a logical order of using this material. Thanks!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:30 AM

Looks like you'll be busy for a while in the new year! Enjoy.

I got my wish of Pete Huttlinger DVD's for Christmas, look forward to learning with them. Hearing more about Toby's materials on AGF, let us know how you like them...may be part of 2014 wish list for us too!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Walker, Huttlinger, Traum, and Hanson - it doesn't get much better than that for guitar instruction. Enjoy your new gifts.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write