The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-11-2018, 05:07 AM

Default Walkie talkies and CB radios.

Anyone ever use these when they were younger? I'm talking about what was popular back in the 80s and decades before that and not today's digital stuff.

I used to play with my walkie talkies with my friends when I was a kid. Range wasn't very far but it was fun. My father was into CB radios (is that different than a ham radio?). He had one in the house and in the car too.

Any stories?
Old 12-11-2018, 05:52 AM

10-4, Porch.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 12-11-2018, 07:26 AM

Sure. Used CB's plenty The have very good range for local communication but not compared to ham radio. They are still great for off-roaders and back-country "Jeeping" where you are easily out of cell coverage.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:16 AM

Yes. It was hard to avoid.

My dad's WWII story was rejected for being colorblind but grabbed for being smart so he was in radio and communications work. As a kid he had military surplus radio stuff in the house, did CBs, and two-way radios in the family business for pre-cell phone innovation.

There was a brief time my pals and I would ride out bikes to the business and use those better than basic walkie talkie radios hoping to return them and never get caught. When other kids played games with them we had ones that with farther reach. My dad pointed out that same scenario of farther reach was what his associates in the Navy worked on.

Later on I drove trucks for a while so of course had the radios then. Now I regret the hearing loss I have from those loud old trucks and other industrial noise. The two-way radios would blast even louder than those Detroit Diesel and Mack engines. Same for those old cabs with no insulation.

For a modern twist, my kids noticed the walkie talkie feature in Apple Watches but that was not long lived.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:37 AM

I collected vacuum tubes (when I played electric lead with tube amps) for decades, just threw away one box the other day. I always thought cb radio/ham/ and juke box restorers would be a market for them but when I look on bay there still isn't much of a market except for the usual's 6L6's, 12ax7, etc (guitar amp tubes)

I had a lot of WEIRD #'s, but am tired of storing them and ebay is too much work for nickels.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 12-12-2018, 07:15 AM

CB Radio used to help keep me awake on the ride home from road gigs (remember them?) back in the day - "What's your handle?". "Watch out for Smokie at Mile Marker 89". "That's a big 10-4, bud."

I just gave my 7 year-old grandson 3 Motorola walkie-talkies that I bought on Craigslist. He's having fun running around the woods in his backyard with his little sister and pals.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:56 PM

my family had walkie talkies and my dad had a cb setup and was into ham radio. he was a volunteer using his systems after the tornado that tore up my hometown of xenia, ohio.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-12-2018, 03:00 PM

What's the difference between a CB radio and a ham radio? Does ham cover further differences?
Old 12-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What's the difference between a CB radio and a ham radio? Does ham cover further differences?
I really don’t know, but I think that a CB radio has quite a limited range, whereas a ham radio can communicate around the world.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:27 PM

CB radio is limited to 5 Watts transmitter power and has minimal licensing. I believe that Ham radios can be more powerful, use a much higher VHF frequency and also requires an FCC license. They can also use a world wide network of repeater stations to extend their range. Ham is often the only communication network operating during major disasters, when phones and cell phones are off line.

The only radio in the Ham range that I've ever used was a dedicated handheld transmitter and radios in the planes when I did search & rescue flying for Civil Air Patrol in Alaska. We had a discrete frequency to use for official search missions and internal communications. I still have that radio somewhere, but the proliferation of cell phones mostly supplanted the need. We personally own some marine band handhelds for use when boating and kayaking.

I recall having and enjoying walkie-talkies as a kid, and put a 23 channel CB radio in my first car in 1975. by the time they got around to requiring 40 channel units, the fad had passed and I was doing other things as hobbies.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:07 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:36 PM

In the '60's, the best golfer in my group of friends, his father had a CB radio with a large antenna on the roof. It was invigorating to talk to random people from all over the world! My dad was an audiophile, and collected hi-tech (at the time) radios, like Blaupunkt, that could receive channels from Europe, and that was really cool too.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:17 AM

Did anyone ever hear any of the "numbers stations"?
Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Did anyone ever hear any of the "numbers stations"?
Sure have Dru. They were but one of the many odd signals on the short wave frequencies of the 20th century.

Ham radio op since 1967 - callsign WA1ISD - I live about four miles from ARRL (American Radio Relay League) headquarters http://www.arrl.org. It’s still a very active hobby. In particular, today’s hams are involved in space communications (with satellites and the ISS) and disaster\emergency communications. Ham radio really showed its worth during Hurricane Katrina when the ONLY communication available was via ham radio. The ARRL website can tell you just about anything you need to know about ham radio.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Sure have Dru. They were but one of the many odd signals on the short wave frequencies of the 20th century.

Ham radio op since 1967 - callsign WA1ISD - I live about four miles from ARRL (American Radio Relay League) headquarters http://www.arrl.org. It’s still a very active hobby. In particular, today’s hams are involved in space communications (with satellites and the ISS) and disaster\emergency communications. Ham radio really showed its worth during Hurricane Katrina when the ONLY communication available was via ham radio. The ARRL website can tell you just about anything you need to know about ham radio.
Are there still number stations? I think I saw a show a couple years ago that there are still some but it might have been Europe?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic