The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 05:37 AM

I think if you go to a well-stocked acoustic shop, GC, and Sam Ash, and play a bunch of guitars focusing on the sound WITHOUT paying attention to the head stock, you will find that there reasonably priced guitars that easily rival the big names with the high prices.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

It would be hard for any of us to truly answer this question for the OP...at best we can speak to our own experiences and how those have netted out.

Personally, I did sell everything at one time and went down to one. With time, I found out the one I selected did not work for me long term. However, freeing up all that head space that went to multiple guitars was a very good thing for me.

Whatever you do, take your time and do the best you can to be sure. You might sell one off at a time, bank your money slowly and decide what to do with your funds. It does not have to be a fast process.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:16 PM

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=531016

Here you go! In their used section, they've got a Koa 214ce for a FANTASTIC price!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-11-2018, 01:40 PM

I'd rather have one great guitar than a herd of middling ones. I know this because when I got a great guitar, the middling ones all eventually went out the door.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
Depends on how much attachment you have to any / all of the ones you have.

Many here can relate tales of a "lesser" guitar that had some emotional or other significant attachment for them that they wish they'd never let go ...

That being said, another option would be to keep your favorite acoustic, keep your favorite electric, sell the others and save up to make up the difference ... patience can also be key getting the best used deal ... you might be surprised what shows up if you wait and monitor the used market consistently.

All the best with your quest ...

~ Paul

I like Paul’s idea.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I'd rather have one great guitar than a herd of middling ones. I know this because when I got a great guitar, the middling ones all eventually went out the door.
When I got my first really nice guitar - a custom shop Martin J-40 - there was still a need for a beater/beach/camping guitar when I didn't want to risk the good one. I also started experimenting with alternate tunings just about then too. So the Seagull S6 became that workable second guitar for me.

Over time I have acquired better guitars and some moderate cost ones too. Some of the lesser ones have since left, in a general trend toward a really nice collection that suits what I want now.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
I think if you go to a well-stocked acoustic shop, GC, and Sam Ash, and play a bunch of guitars focusing on the sound WITHOUT paying attention to the head stock, you will find that there reasonably priced guitars that easily rival the big names with the high prices.

I guess it depends on what terms like “reasonably priced” and “high prices” mean.

I mainly like used and vintage acoustic guitars. I’ve never found a $700 guitar that easily rivals, say, a $3K or $4K guitar.

Although I have come across some Guilds in the $1700 range that do, if that’s what you mean. They don’t grow on trees, but you can find them if you’re patient.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripdotcom View Post
Its a good idea, I gave up a good half dozen guitars for one and couldnt be happier.
Well my goodness, if some of that half dozen was from that herd you still got listed you got yourself a lifetime dream guitar plus a few left over.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=531016

Here you go! In their used section, they've got a Koa 214ce for a FANTASTIC price!!
I just contacted them and they said they have no used Taylor's.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:07 PM

You should look at Alvarez. They are excellent guitars and you have have a used one in excellent condition for around $300.00. Shop for an AD60, AD70 or even the Masterworks MD60 or MD70. If you have not seen or played these before, I think you'll be surprised at the sound and quality of the build.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Eagle, I know you have had a tough year. I've had you in my thoughts a lot. It sounds like you are going through similar things that happened to me a couple years back. I am sorry for your troubles and I know you are stronger than the painful challenges you are having right now. All the best to you, brother.

As for your thread here, I understand the appeal of this completely. I personally favor fewer possessions to many. I used to be The Guy who had a home packed with 50 assorted stringed instruments, amps, pedals, etc. To me, it became more of a chore than a pleasure, keeping everything stored, maintained, in playing rotation...even trying to decide what guitar or bass to take to a jam session or gig.

I eventually pared down to one acoustic guitar and nothing else, and I was very happy and content. At one point for a year or so my only instrument was a soprano ukulele.

To me there is something about having "The One" that you put all your music through. All your expression. You get to really know that instrument.

That said, I currently own two cheap acoustics, two ukes and a bass.

Based on what you say and your sig, you have a nice, tight collection. It's not overwhelming...it just gives you some options.

My main question is--is there anything you would miss? Anything with sentimental value?

- John Shedd
Old 12-11-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post

Based on what you say and your sig, you have a nice, tight collection. It's not overwhelming...it just gives you some options.

My main question is--is there anything you would miss? Anything with sentimental value?
Nothing with sentimental value, but I think I would miss most of my guitars.
I have a small house, and they are all in one room, and they barely fit.
Some live on guitar stands, the rest in padded gig bags. Maybe some are right, maybe while my life is upside down at the moment, I should not be thinking about selling-off most of my guitars for a high-end one. GAS brought me to where I am. I don’t need seven guitars. I barely play most of them. I think 2 acoustics and 1 electric would be just right for me. The question is, which ones go, which stay, be happy with what is left, or go all-in for my “dream” guitar..?
Old 12-11-2018, 11:51 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
GAS brought me to where I am. I don’t need seven guitars. I barely play most of them.

Back when I was playing electric, I did what you were contemplating -- decided to sell my four guitars to buy a big upgrade. Well, I sold three of them pretty quickly, but I couldn't even get a nibble on the fourth one. I had gigs and rehearsals, so I had to play it while I waited for it to sell. And it was weird -- having to play that Epiphone, because it was all I had, somehow made it like a new guitar -- and I ended up not wanting to get that expensive upgrade after all. Instead, I put some cash in my pocket, got some space in the closet, and had a guitar that I discovered I really, really liked.

Maybe sell a few of yours off, and see how you feel about the ones that remain, instead of rushing out to replace them?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Personally, having a bunch of guitars around that I don't play weighs on me.

Here's another thought for you though. Get a guitar maintenance book and some tools. See how much you can improve what you've got. You will have a fun and worthwhile activity and get refreshed instruments in the bargain. If nothing more, you will develop a better idea of what you really want out of your instruments.

Good luck to you!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
....question is, which ones go, which stay, be happy with what is left, or go all-in for my “dream” guitar..?
The way I answer this question myself is by asking, "If they all were stolen or destroyed this weekend, which ones would I go out and replace right away with the insurance money"? In other words, which ones would you miss for sure?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion