The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-03-2017, 02:00 PM

Default Looking For an Easier Way to do Video Recording

We are talking here about your basic "Watch an Old Man Play Guitar" video.

I use an old (5 years?) Nikon Coolpix camera that shoots video (I have no problem with the video quality). I have a Tascam DR-40 for the audio and, again, I have no problem with the audio quality. I have used a variety of video editors on my desktop pc, but let's say OpenShot. The quality of the resulting videos are limited mostly by the quality of my guitar playing.

My only problem with this setup is that after I shoot the video I need to copy the files from the devices to the computer. Now I understand that this is not the most onerous of tasks (and is pretty much a first world problem), but I would dearly like to go to my computer and immediately watch the video and decide whether I need a reshoot. Feel free to make fun of me.

Let's assume I am willing to pay for new equipment. What I am looking for is a camera and recording device that can be tethered, either wired or wirelessly, to the computer and would write the files directly on the computer. I would also like to have the high quality audio file synced to the video file, but I am willing to let this requirement slide.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Get a new iPhone.

Seriously.

HE
Old 12-04-2017, 08:35 AM

The key would be to get a video recorder with good sound recording. This is harder than it sounds. I use the Canon 5D with external mic plugged in. The camera has been used to shoot entire television seasons.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 AM

I think the idea respondents are so far suggesting is that if your video device has good preview capabilities, then a quick check to see if the take is good enough can happen on the device, with the computer left to top and tail the video and add titles.

If on the other hand you want to go with the workflow you requested, doesn't the Zoom Q2N or the like have "web cam" capabilities were you can connect it to the computer via USB and record video and decent audio? I'm not 100% sure on that.

Which video programs on the PC allow both video and audio to be captured that way I can't tell you off hand.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-04-2017, 01:18 PM

I've now had the chance to look a the features of the Zoom Q2n, and it looks like it can do the web cam thing, only with better audio that most devices that we think of as web cams and probably better video that most of those too.

https://zoom-na.com/products/field-v...video-recorder

You would still want to test if any editing program you use can pull in your performances direct from a web cam.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-04-2017, 09:23 PM

Thanks, Frank. The Zoom Q2N looks like a possibility. I am not sure I like the fisheye lens look and it looks like you need to place it pretty close to you.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:18 AM

I've assembled my home recording studio recently. Everything connects to a PC which is a recording device in this case, so it would solve your problem. Although you haven't mentioned your budget, here's my stuff:

Camera - Logitech Brio webcam, the only USB webcam at the moment capable of 4K@30fps or 1080p@60fps, supports HDR, etc, can be mounted on a standard tripod. Excellent video quality.

Microphone - Audio Technica AT2035 condenser microphone (a solid mic for acoustic guitar recording according to many folks). Works very well so far.

Audio USB interface - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, capable of plugging in two guitars, two mics or a guitar and mic combo, 48V phantom power, monitor outputs, etc.

Monitor / post processing headphones: Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, more or less industry standard, 8Hz-27KHz range, etc.

2020 Taylor 814ce DLX
2017 Taylor 414ce-R (Sold)
2015 Taylor 114ce (Sold)
Old 12-06-2017, 03:57 PM

That is an interesting collection, Samogitian, and the web cam approach does seem to solve my problem (along with the audio interface).

Do you mind telling me what software you are using?
Old 12-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I'm on my third video camera - all Zooms.
The latest is a Zoom Q4.
It does have some barrel distortion, but I like this design, and rechargeable battery,and I can see on the screen where I'm placed in the frame.

Mics seem good enough for my purposes.

I don't do editing or mess with the sound, 'cos I don't know abut that stuff.

Best way to demonstrate is to suggest you watch some of my later videos.
See the link below.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 PM

Thank you, Mr. Moustache, I have enjoyed many of your videos. Why did you upgrade? What were you looking for that the earlier Zoom models did not have?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedymike View Post
That is an interesting collection, Samogitian, and the web cam approach does seem to solve my problem (along with the audio interface).

Do you mind telling me what software you are using?
I am using ffmpeg - it's the most powerful multimedia recording/streaming software that can handle 4K webcam, which is somewhat cutting edge at the moment. It may be a little intimidating to people who prefer to limit themselves to pushing a big red "Rec" button, but it's worth it if quality is what you're looking for.

2020 Taylor 814ce DLX
2017 Taylor 414ce-R (Sold)
2015 Taylor 114ce (Sold)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 PM

I use a simple digital camera, Olympus, that does just fine with true sound and image.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
I use a simple digital camera, Olympus, that does just fine with true sound and image.
Way lower than the OP's needs, but I also go the simple route. Sometimes using just the camera audio...

Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samogitian View Post
I am using ffmpeg - it's the most powerful multimedia recording/streaming software that can handle 4K webcam, which is somewhat cutting edge at the moment. It may be a little intimidating to people who prefer to limit themselves to pushing a big red "Rec" button, but it's worth it if quality is what you're looking for.
From what I can tell from their website, ffmpeg is basically a file converter and player of mutlimedia files. Can you sync up the audio to your video? Can you do any video or audio editing? If not, what do you use for those duties, if anything?
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Get a new iPhone.

Seriously.

HE
Agreed. Heck, I think I get pretty good quality with a lowly "droid."

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD