The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 PM

Default Rocksmith

So, I just bought my first guitar, a Fall Limited 210 from Taylor.

I have literally never played before.

Anyone here use Rocksmith, either version?

They worth buying, they good place to learn?
Old 12-02-2013, 06:00 PM

I have not used this - but my grandson is very interested in it so I watched the website ads and read the specs.

My impression is if you're used to playing video games it may provide some value and help you learn. But the online reviews are mixed and there is a lot of hype.

My recommedation is to spend a little more and sign up for some online instruction. I like JamPlay.com - literally hundreds of lessons at all capability levels.

1976 Martin N-20, Classical
2001 Martin OM-42 Limited Edition #43 of 50;
2002 Martin 000-17s from sayheyjeff;
2003 Martin UMGF custom 00-18VS #24;
2014 Greenridge custom OMC BRW 12 fret;
2013 Custom OMC narrow body Koa/Spruce/Maple from Saigon;

For Sale:
2004 Martin OMC-28 LJ #96

2010 BMW K1300GT touring motorcycle, for when I'm not playing
Old 12-02-2013, 07:08 PM

You will get alot out of justinguitar for free.
Although I have purchased about $100.00 of his stuff, most lessons are free.
I also use guitartricks.com, basically the same as guitarjamz
Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 PM

I bought rocksmith in 2011 and rocksmith2014 this year. I love em. Just go pick up the newest one. They are really made to be played with electric guitars and not so much acoustic electrics but they WILL work.

They make learning fun but be sure to use youtube, tabs, and other sources too.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:09 AM

I am using Rocksmith 2014 here. It's a great tool for getting your speed up and getting you to play in tempo. The arrangements are heavily weighted in favor of power chords and there is a lot of newer music that I haven't fallen in love with yet. However, one of the big improvements is a feature called "Riff Repeater" where you can isolate a section of the song and adjust its tempo and complexity as you play along. There's one particular break that I am working on that will be nicely transferrable to an acoustic.

All told, I am very happy with the program as it increases my versatility and rhythm.

Rick
Old 12-10-2013, 05:30 AM

I've not used it, but from what I've seen it's the dumbest learning tool I've encountered.
That doesn't make it bad! . It just means it explains nothing. It's a training system for speed and timing accuracy, and looks like a lot of fun. But you'll learn nothing (or very little) about music from it.

IOW, as a fun practice device - if you like video games - it looks good. But - especially if you are a total beginner - use it alongside more traditional methods. As mentioned, justinguitar has a lot of good free online lessons about the essential basics.

One big advantage of Rocksmith - judging from the positive reviews - is that it's so much fun that it makes you want to practise for longer. That's good, and - along with the element of constant challenge - explains how people can get faster quicker from using it. Improvement in any musical instrument is always down to how many hours you can put in, and the more fun you have doing it, the more hours you can stand. (Although that's an argument for variety in practice as much as it is for fun software.)

IOW, treat it like a workout tool, not as a prime learning tool. Part of a whole package of practice strategies.

In addition, of course, remember it's called Rock-smith: it's aimed at rock players specifically, which means electric guitar more than acoustic, and you need to look at the song lists to decide if your kind of music is well enough represented. (There is a lot of other downloadable content too.)

Last edited by JonPR; 12-10-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I've not used it, but from what I've seen it's the dumbest learning tool I've encountered.
That doesn't make it bad! . It just means it explains nothing. It's a training system for speed and timing accuracy, and looks like a lot of fun. But you'll learn nothing (or very little) about music from it.
My thoughts exactly. Having a pocketful of riffs does not, as one guy in the TV ad excitedly proclaims, make you a guitarist. Monkey see - monkey do.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:58 AM

You may - or may not - find some useful advice on this thread:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/guit...th-2014-a.html
(484 posts and counting.... the vast majority wildly enthusiastic )
Old 12-10-2013, 11:42 AM

Jon and Rusty - Remember , there are many parts to the journey and many paths to explore.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 AM

The Rocksmith ads remind me of diet claims and the the caveat, "your results may vary." A couple of those guys made fantastic progress in 60 days, even if they are only blindly repeating riffs.

Martin 000-28EC (1996?)
Seagull Natural Elements (2012)
Taylor 814ce (2014)
Old 12-24-2013, 10:17 AM

My son is one of the designers of the newest edition of Rocksmith. I will likely get on for Christmas as the proud father of such a great mind. I will report back when I get some time on it. I am not a gamer but have been playing for over 50 years so it will be interesting to see how I do with it. Report back in a few weeks.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitner View Post
My son is one of the designers of the newest edition of Rocksmith. I will likely get on for Christmas as the proud father of such a great mind. I will report back when I get some time on it. I am not a gamer but have been playing for over 50 years so it will be interesting to see how I do with it. Report back in a few weeks.
Cool...do you expect to be able to give an unbiased opinion?

I am actually somewhat interested in it. I also play electric, and I'm looking for a fun way to improve the nimbleness of my fingers for scales and the like. This could be a good tool for that.

Martin 000-28EC (1996?)
Seagull Natural Elements (2012)
Taylor 814ce (2014)
Old 12-24-2013, 01:17 PM

Well since my son helped with design I can't be trusted. But I will try my best.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write