The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-12-2018, 02:38 AM

Default Acoustic sound changing due to soundhole pickup

I’m not sure if this belongs exactly here or it was discussed before. Sorry if that’s the case.

I’m curious, have any of you experienced this? I’ve noticed that the acoustic sound of my Avalon L25 is changing slightly when I put the Fishman Rare Earth Blend soundhole pickup in it. It’s not a major change in the overall tone, but still noticeable in the high mids and treble frequencies.
The top and bracing of this guitar has been modified buy a luthier to get a more even response on all frequencies. So as a result the top is highly responsive, maybe that’s also a reason any weight put on the top is changing the tone slightly?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Christian

P.s. I’m a new member here and think this is such a great forum and place to read, exchange and simply “hang out” :-)
Old 12-12-2018, 06:30 AM

It would be best to record (with a condenser microphone) the sound of you playing with and without the pickup installed (the same mic position) and post it here. If everyone else is noticing the difference, than you know it's not just in your head.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:40 AM

What your probably hearing is the reflection
of sound coming out of the soundhole.
which changes slightly when the pup is installed.
I would not be too concerned as it wont be noticable
at stage volume.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:48 AM

There is a noticeable change in the acoustic sound of my guitars when I install the M1. It is somewhat muted in overtones and volume, with shortened sustain. I think it has a lot to do with magnetic dampening of the strings and the weight of the pickup on the top.
It doesn't bother me because the amp compensates for it, and I always remove the pickup when I'm finished using it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification