The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2018, 10:31 AM

Default 814CE electronics

Hi all,
I have a 2003 model 814CE which I have never used plugged-in since I bought it used in 2009. This guitar has a battery box that take two AA size batteries, I'm not sure which specific version of the electronics was installed at the time this guitar came off the Taylor production line, maybe one of you can help me to identify that? However, the issue I currently have is that the system doesn't appear to be working when I try it plugged in to an amplifier. Note that at this point I don't actually have a proper guitar amplifier as I usually only play acoustically. I am plugging the guitar into the auxiliary input of a hi-fi amplifier, simply trying to verify if it is working as it should be. I am using two new AA batteries. I don't know the output specifications from the built-in electronics, so that may be the reason why I get no amplified sound? Yes, I do have the guitar volume control set at the mid-point so I would expect some sound, wouldn't I?

Maybe there are some simple points that I can check out? All the wiring and connectors I can see inside the guitar seem to be firmly in place. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Howard
2015 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM

What type of cable are you using? Most aux connections are 1/8" stereo, while the Taylor connection is 1/4" mono or stereo. I've found the signal going into an aux connection needs to be up virtually all the way (on the input device) to get any usable sounds out of. And with Taylor guitars having a relatively low output to begin with, and you only have the volume 1/2 way up, I'm not surprised you're getting no sound. I'd try a 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo cord (assuming your device aux in is 1/8"). I'd try cranking up the volume the whole way on the Taylor. Or just find an amp. Anyway, my bet is that the electronics are fine, and you've got a line level gain mismatch.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:02 PM

It's hard to say. 15 year old unused electronics can experience spontaneous corrosion. It could be anything or nothing as you don't have a proper amp to plug into. Is there a guitar store nearby where you can test it with a proper amp? How about a friend?

When you say that it takes two AA batteries, are the batteries inserted into a holder where the end pin resides? Or is there a large box on top of the guitar where the batteries are inserted?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-14-2018, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm using a standard 1/4 inch Guitar lead around 3 metres long with one end going to the smaller plug size via a Female to Male adapter so that it fits into the aux socket. I'll try increasing the guitar volume to maximum.

I appreciate that there may be some issue with the actual PCB components, if I could easily remove the assembly from the guitar I could check that in more detail but I don't see an easy way to access the PCB. The two AA batteries fit into a holder which is integral with the endpin, there is no corrosion in that area and as I see no loose connectors or broken wires I'm fairly confident that the full supply voltage is available to the electronics.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:22 PM

Forgot to say that as suggested I will try to find someone locally who has a guitar amplifier I can use for testing.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:05 PM

Taylor will upgrade your internal electronics. They were originally charging about $450 but another AGF user was just quoted $300 for the upgrade.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification