The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2018, 09:24 AM

Default Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Cable

I play in a few settings, but mostly a fairly simple acoustic setup for worship. I use a few pedals, and a couple of them don't take an internal 9-volt battery. I wanted an option to make my nano+ board free of any power supply that required plugging in to a cord that is external from the board itself. I found these small cables that simply take a 9v battery snapped on one end and have a little right-angled connector on the other. The connector looks like one typically used with a 9v "wall-wart" supply or daisy-chain terminal. From the individual pedal, I figured I could just Velcro the battery to the back of the board or something similar.

The issue I'm having is that the power cable will not power a pedal. When plugged in with the battery in place, the indicator light doesn't light up. I tried the same scenario with pedals that do use an internal 9v battery-same result.

What am I missing? If these little external single cables just don't work as a supply to individual pedals, I can accept that I will just need to daisy chain a couple of pedals to an external supply. I'm appealing to the collective knowledge of the forum as a final effort to have a mobile, self-contained acoustic pedal unit.

As a disclaimer, I am not overly techy. You could get over my head with heavy jargon.

Thank you in advance,

Drew
Old 01-14-2018, 06:15 PM

Anyone?...
Old 01-14-2018, 06:35 PM

Maybe the polarity on the cable is backwards. With DC, polarity is very critical.

FWIW, I've made my own cables to have external battery power with pieces from Radio Shack, but daisy-chaining is really the way to go.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:41 PM

And polarity refers to the positive terminal of the battery going to the positive terminal of the pedal. Most pedals are tip negative, meaning the center pole in the pedal gets the negative terminal from the battery. Most pedals take 9v DC and about 100 milliamps, but some take the same size plug, but require AC power and a different amperage. Some pedals require 18v
Finally, a slightly dead battery is not powerful enough to handle some pedals with a higher current demand. My MXR Carbon Copy didn't last long with a real battery.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:09 PM

Thanks YamahaGuy,

They weren't that expensive, so maybe I can find another use for them.

Much appreciated,

Drew
Old 01-14-2018, 11:28 PM

drew b, You might be interested in this post of mine from a couple of years ago about using a mobile phone backup battery to power my simple little board:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=406149

Old 01-18-2018, 03:39 PM

Default Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Cable

Use the KISS method. I play electric and acoustic and use the same pedalboard for both so I would recommend using a variation of my setup. There is a good reason that gigging guitarists have pedalboards that require nothing more than power and a guitar cord to work. There are plenty of inexpensive pedal boards and daisy chain or isolated power supplies available (check eBay - Donner DB2 Pedalboard & Case plus Mosky B5L0 Power Supply for $60). Cable, velcro and cable tie everything down and test, test, test. Find a bag to carry it in and you’re good to go. When you get to your gig drop your pedal board, plug in and you are ready to play! Always bring a backup power supply and cables and don’t forget Murphy’s Law.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 01-18-2018 at 04:28 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification