The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-05-2017, 02:15 PM

Default DeArmond Tone Boss, anybody tried one?

Looking for a pickup for at home quick demos and this pickup would be in my price range for a coming birthday gift. Has anybody used one? Do I need to screw it into the top, or can I simply put it on a guitar without screws to be able to switch from guitar to guitar? Most importantly, sound? Is it even decent? I can’t find any reviews of playing chords online. Hope to hear some thoughts?
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-05-2017, 05:58 PM

I'm a fan of all versions of the vintage DeArmond pickups but this one seems to only have the name in common. The Fishman Neo D humbucker version would probably slay the Tone Boss for less money. A mic will give you much more natural tone for home recording. Even something like this would work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
I'm a fan of all versions of the vintage DeArmond pickups but this one seems to only have the name in common. The Fishman Neo D humbucker version would probably slay the Tone Boss for less money. A mic will give you much more natural tone for home recording. Even something like this would work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the recommendation. I already have a few condenser and other mics, just looking for something quick that’ll be a line out without any battery power to worry about for this.
'07 Seagull Artist Studio Burst 12
'08 Norman Protege B18
'08 Rickenbacker 610
‘18 Gibson SG Special
Old 11-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisStarlight View Post
Looking for a pickup for at home quick demos and this pickup would be in my price range for a coming birthday gift. Has anybody used one? Do I need to screw it into the top, or can I simply put it on a guitar without screws to be able to switch from guitar to guitar? Most importantly, sound? Is it even decent? I can’t find any reviews of playing chords online. Hope to hear some thoughts?
I tried one briefly, and I thought it was a nice pickup for the money. A nice feature is the adjustable pole pieces. It's an easy on, easy off pickup. You can move it from guitar to guitar. It's not a loud pickup, a preamp of some sort would definitely help. Something to remember, it is a magnetic pickup, so it's definitely is not a "natural" sound. But a pleasant sound. Hope this helps.

Last edited by jricc; 08-08-2021 at 03:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification