The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha "mic modeling" and other sytems

My understanding is that the Fishman Aura and Tone Dexter utilize the same basic technology. Anyone know how these two compare to the "mic modeling" in the Yamaha A-Aeries guitars?

Thanks for your insights.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:05 PM

Sorry, I cannot speak for the Aura or the Tonedexter, but I have an AC3R with SRT63 and an A5R with SRT2 and can speak for those two. The preamp on the SRT63 system has way more controls and takes a lot of trial and error to get a good tone dialed in. It is so natural sounding, though, so it's definitely worth the hours and hours of fiddling to dial it in. As for the SRT2, there are only two (instead of three) mic models, and there is no wide/focus, nor is there a "body res" or a middle eq setting. Also missing is a tuner. That said, I find it easier to dial in a good tone quickly with the SRT2 as there is less to mess around with, and I think Yamaha simplified it to keep happy those want to plug, dial and play-not plug, fiddle around with knobs for days, then have to swap batteries, then play.

My understanding of the Aura is that there are downloadable patches that offer endless possibilities and would require lots and lots of trial and error. It appeals to me, but Martin's are not in my budget and from what I've heard, the Aura controls can be difficult to remember. Also, I've heard they burn through batteries pretty quickly.

I've no experience at all with Tonedexter.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 11-04-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1591 View Post
My understanding is that the Fishman Aura and Tone Dexter utilize the same basic technology. Anyone know how these two compare to the "mic modeling" in the Yamaha A-Aeries guitars?

Thanks for your insights.
If you read Yamaha's patent it is slightly different (from what I remember). Basically Yamaha starts by doing the same thing as Martin and Tonedexter. But when they have the IR that captures the guitar and mic. They don't use it right away. They make a simple model with many resonances to match the measured IR. To put it more simply they design an EQ curve that match the IR frequency response. The response is smooth and less noisy but also more generic and less guitar dependent.

The same idea exists if the Neunaber Iconoclast. Their app allows the user to download a 3rd Party cab file (ex: your favourite Marshall 4x12) and then adjust the modeled Cab frequency response to match your file.

So the pedal will not apply the IR file you have but a noiseless approximation that may also require less DSP power.

James from Tonedexter has shown in his latest video how "accurate" were the Tonedexter's IR compared to Yamaha modeling technology. Keep in mind that Yamaha want's to be able to apply this technology to thousands of Chinese Made guitars with different manufacturing and material constraints. So the goal is not the same.

Most manufacturer go the "generic way" to reach the widest market. Tonedexter is probably aimed at guitar enthusiast with high expectation.

How many Line 6 pedals & amps were sold for one Kemper?

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 11-05-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Cuki79. Exactly what I wanted to know. Now I'll check out the TD video you referenced.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification