The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-31-2017, 08:40 AM

Default Those Big Cutouts for Pickup Controls

Didja ever wonder about, say 20 or 30 years down the road, what you'd do if and when the factory preamp for your piezo pickup died? I saw my first one last night. Fella came in for a live internet radio show, had a Taylor with some miles on it. The pre-eq had crapped out so he replaced the whole thing with a magnetic Baggs and threw away the old module. It left a huge rectangular and surprisingly jaggedy hole.

A sad sight that will become more and more common, I'm sure.

Couch Standards
Old 10-31-2017, 08:50 AM

Just tape a setlist/ Sign proclaiming "This machine kills fascists" sign et Voila!
Old 10-31-2017, 08:53 AM

That hole becomes a soundport!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:00 AM

Maybe the guy just left it open so he'd have a side sound port?

I never liked the look of those barn door preamps. While I am not fond of Taylor's ES1/ES2 systems, I do like the way they've minimized the controls (more great Taylor marketing, giving you less for more). I think if the internals ever died in my Taylors I'd probably find a way to secure the knobs in position, even though they'd no longer have any function.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
A sad sight that will become more and more common, I'm sure.
What's sad about it? If he wanted to do something about it he's got options. He could've simply gotten a new Fishman preamp (or Baggs, though I don't think that would be an exact retrofit). He could get someone to patch it. I also like Fuman's suggestion.

Now, a barndoor hole in a prewar Martin might be a different story. That Taylor was built to be an acoustic-electric; if he didn't want to repair to factory specs that's his prerogative.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:09 AM
Musical minimalist

There are replacements out there, but for the price, I'd pass...

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/2422...8aAkLwEALw_wcB

The hole would be too big for an effective port - I'd bend and stain a piece of hardwood to contrast the back and side wood and cut a smaller port in it.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
What's sad about it?
The inevitability, the planned obsolescence. Not something you want to see in the kind of top-brand instrument you might someday pass down to a grandchild.

Quote:
If he wanted to do something about it he's got options.
Yes, just like good health insurance is available to everyone. This is a young guy eking out a living with his guitar and his songs and an elderly Toyota. Judging by the look of his clothes and his 4-Runner, I'd say he has to prioritize.

Couch Standards
Old 10-31-2017, 09:52 AM

It extends well beyond guitars...

I feel the same way about cars. With all the doodads and gizmos on cars these days, there is no way they'll be around and fully functional the same way cars from the past are today.

It's a key reason that gun owners reject the notion of "smart guns" that have electronic bio-metric interlocks.

There is a timeless beauty in something purely mechanical.

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 10-31-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:03 AM

The guitars I have with cutouts are working instruments. I like the convenience and functionality of having controls there. If I need to replace the preamp I will. If it doesn't quite fit I'll enlarge the hole as needed of get a thin piece of wood to overlay the hole and mount the new preamp.

Sad sight? Not for everyone.

hunter
Old 10-31-2017, 11:12 AM

Make it a cup holder.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeffcoat View Post
That hole becomes a soundport!
My thoughts exactly! Get some duct tape and shape the hole to the perfect size for a sound port.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The inevitability, the planned obsolescence. Not something you want to see in the kind of top-brand instrument you might someday pass down to a grandchild.

Yes, just like good health insurance is available to everyone. This is a young guy eking out a living with his guitar and his songs and an elderly Toyota. Judging by the look of his clothes and his 4-Runner, I'd say he has to prioritize.
Right, and it seems he's chosen a guitar with little regard to how its aesthetics might bother others or how his grandchild might feel about it. Smart guy.

The world is full of guitars without onboard electronics. Being "sad" about a guitar being something it was never meant to be is futile.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:50 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
Make it a cup holder.
gotta like that idea!
Old 10-31-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Right, and it seems he's chosen a guitar with little regard to how its aesthetics might bother others or how his grandchild might feel about it. Smart guy.

The world is full of guitars without onboard electronics. Being "sad" about a guitar being something it was never meant to be is futile.
If your goal is to shut me up on this topic, you've succeeded.

Couch Standards
Old 10-31-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Wait, so are we mad at this guy?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification